My PI is an MD, but not a practicing doctor, but would an LOR from him be ok as an LOR from a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueScar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several medical schools (DO) require a LOR from a physician. Since my PI does not practice, but still holds and MD, would an LOR from him fulfill the requirement as a LOR from a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

While it may technically fulfill a letter, I would find that a weak or even a negative letter. I mean, didnt this applicant bother to even shadow an actual practicing doc
I have over 100 hours of shadowing (per my resume, and my other LOR written up by the volunteer coordinator at a clinic), but my PI knows me the best which is why I wanted him to write it. The doctor I shadowed told me it may be a bit weak if she wrote it because let's face it; shadowing doesn't require any real skill to do. What is she going to say- I have keen observational talent?

I have over 100 hours of shadowing (per my resume, and my other LOR written up by the volunteer coordinator at a clinic), but my PI knows me the best which is why I wanted him to write it. The doctor I shadowed told me it may be a bit weak if she wrote it because let's face it; shadowing doesn't require any real skill to do. What is she going to say- I have keen observational talent?

Most of these letters say the applicant was punctual, polite, properly dressed, and showed an appropriate level of engagement with the experience.

Reactions: 1 user