My plan- looking for advice/comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onsager

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN!

TL;DR:

I believe I have found the maturity needed for this path through failure/rejection to get into top grad schools and interest through exercise/work. Will take the MCAT in January and proceed accordingly (30+ = leave grad school). I’ve gotten rid of a lot of bad habits and replaced them with good habits. I now need to figure out how to impress medical schools enough to overlook my garbage GPA.

Edit: Sorry if this post is in the wrong place/breaking rules- my first post and I wasn't exactly sure where/how to post it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
can take my masters in ~1.5 years at which point I can either do more undergrad work to improve my GPA (but I have ~170 credits so I think this is a bad idea) or do an SMP. It would take me like 4 semesters to get my GPA to ~3.5 so this option is pretty much out but can be done if necessary. If I try for an SMP I will try to take some undergrad bio courses beforehand to prep me (anatomy/physiology)- my understanding is you need basically a 4.0 at these programs.
Grad work won't weigh much if you apply for MD, but it will be included for DO schools.
  • I suggest to use grad replacement and apply DO schools if you want to be a doctor.
  • Do 40 hours post bacc in hard science such as(virology/anatomy/physiology/histology/embryology/parasitology)
  • your last resort would be SMP linked to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Grad work won't weigh much if you apply for MD, but it will be included for DO schools.
  • I suggest to use grad replacement and apply DO schools if you want to be a doctor.
  • Do 40 hours post bacc in hard science such as(virology/anatomy/physiology/histology/embryology/parasitology)
  • your last resort would be SMP linked to medical school.

Thanks for the advice!

Just to be clear I'm already doing the grad work and won't be able to start any GPA repair/SMP for at least 1.5 yrs- I didn't do the grad program to impress any admission committees. If I do "master out" of my PhD program (pending MCAT score) I will absolutely apply DO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you doing a Masters program? Your GPAs are too low for MD school. You have to raise your GPAs for even a chance. Actually your sGPA might get you screened out. Your plan is so convoluted it makes me really confused. I'm not sure why you are planning to take the MCAT in January. Your only real shot at med school is DO. With 170 hours of credits it will be very difficult to raise your GPAs to a MD competitive level.

Why are you doing a Masters program? Your GPAs are too low for MD school. You have to raise your GPAs for even a chance. Actually your sGPA might get you screened out. Your plan is so convoluted it makes me really confused. I'm not sure why you are planning to take the MCAT in January. Your only real shot at med school is DO. With 170 hours of credits it will be very difficult to raise your GPAs to a MD competitive level.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not doing a masters program- it's a phd program. My original "life plan" was to obtain a phd in chemistry. I can leave the program early with a masters if I decide a phd in chemistry (working in research) is not for me.

If I take the MCAT in January and score well I will use that as justification to drop out of my phd program and begin repairing my GPA (ALT.F.Doc suggested 40 hours of 'hard science' so maybe a 2nd bachelors). If after getting my gpa to something like 3.45 I still can't get into medical school I will apply for a SMP.

I know it's a long shot, but I also know I can get the grades (I have calculated how many credits it would take for x gpa). I have the desire an willingness to put forth the work required that has never been present before in my life. I need a long track of success to illustrate commitment and a very good MCAT score to back it up. I've taken a full length and, while I know they're not entirely indicative of any score, I really believe I can do this if I put the work in. My GPA may never been competitive, but I'm hoping that a length of time with solid grades will address any shortcomings.

I will apply DO but I would like to practice overseas in humanitarian efforts- from my limited understanding it's harder to do so as a DO.

I will apply DO but I would like to practice overseas in humanitarian efforts- from my limited understanding it's harder to do so as a DO.
You maybe somehow right about the limitation of practice in certain countries, but if you're a board certified osteopathic physician not non-physician osteopath(ACGME residency program) I believe it is not going to be an issue.

Last edited:
You maybe somehow right about the limitation of practice in certain countries, but if you're a board certified osteopathic physician not non-physician osteopath(ACGME residency program) I believe it is not going to be an issue.

Do you think that even if I'm able to maintain a year or two in a 2nd bachelors at ~4.0 and do well on the MCAT (90th percentile) it won't be enough for MD? I've read posts on here claiming acceptance in similar situations, but I know there's absolutely no guarantee. It will be a lot of money down the drain if I fail, but I will continue to try for as long as financially possible- I think I'll regret it if I don't. I also am aware that I can't assume an MCAT score which is, at least in part, why I think it's important for me to take it this January.

I took a princeton review full length as a sort of diagnostic and was middle of the road (500)- I know this isn't a great indicator. My goal for January would be the equivalent of a 30 (510ish I think?) then take it again after/during 2nd bachelors- this time shooting for the moon (35+) by supplementing an MCAT class in along with my own studying. The MCAT professor guy guarantees a 5 point increase over an old score.

If all else fails I'll apply DO (hope to get accepted) and contribute to humanitarian efforts closer to home.

Do you think that even if I'm able to maintain a year or two in a 2nd bachelors at ~4.0 and do well on the MCAT (90th percentile) it won't be enough for MD? I've read posts on here claiming acceptance in similar situations, but I know there's absolutely no guarantee. It will be a lot of money down the drain if I fail, but I will continue to try for as long as financially possible- I think I'll regret it if I don't. I also am aware that I can't assume an MCAT score which is, at least in part, why I think it's important for me to take it this January
I am not saying it is impossible, but you're the one how many credit hours your have so far. You may want to do a spread sheet, look up the course you plan to take, and do the math. Look up some school data to see where you are from the pile! There are different variables should be included within calculation/search; such as state of residency, applicant instate vs. out of state., and your ethnicity. Also, it is fine that you want to set a target score for your MCAT. make a plan and execute it.

It will be a lot of money down the drain if I fail, but I will continue to try for as long as financially possible- I think I'll regret it if I don't. I also am aware that I can't assume an MCAT score which is, at least in part, why I think it's important for me to take it this January.
Hey my brother from another mother, do not let fear and failure get to you. You're situation is way better than mine by all means. you're worried about money down the drain and not worried about med schools loans(in both scenario there are no guarantee).
If all else fails I'll apply DO (hope to get accepted) and contribute to humanitarian efforts closer to home.
Don't chase the initials behind your name, be goal oriented ( a doctor) mind me asking where are you from?.

Edit: By the way, DO schools look at grad. work and it is included in your sGPA, I think that should motivate you to get your masters then apply.

Don't chase the initials behind your name, be goal oriented ( a doctor) mind me asking where are you from?.

Edit: By the way, DO schools look at grad. work and it is included in your sGPA, I think that should motivate you to get your masters then apply.

I'm pretty sure I am currently a resident of FL.

I didn't realize DO factored grad into sGPA that's definitely a plus. Also, I looked into it more and the mcat professor guarantees a 5 point increase or a 505+ so I doubt that the 5 point increase applies if you're above 505.

I looked into it more and the mcat professor guarantees a 5 point increase or a 505+ so I doubt that the 5 point increase applies if you're above 505.
sorry, I am confused. Are you taking a prep.course?

sorry, I am confused. Are you taking a prep.course?

No sorry- just considering taking one eventually. I said some incorrect information a few posts ago and wanted to correct it.

Are you planning to apply DO? How long will it be until you're ready to apply?

You are not in nearly as bad a situation as some people who have still managed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and make it happen. Study for the MCAT while finishing your Master's. Leave the Master's program and enter either a post-bacc program or Master's OR SMP at a MED SCHOOL. Kill it with a 4.0, apply to med school, become a doctor.

Your stats are good enough to get into a top-tier SMP (if you get that 30) like GTown, BU MAMS, Tufts, Cinci, ETC. If you get shy of 30, apply to Master's at medical schools (Wayne BMS, Loyola's at Stritch, the like), retake MCAT during school year or just after, then apply to med school, become a doctor. Apply DO the year you start your SMP/Master's with your first MCAT score if you get 500+. Grade replacement won't help you at all for MD and barely for DO because A. Your current stats are good enough for DO and B. You were a science major with lots of credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not in nearly as bad a situation as some people who have still managed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and make it happen. Study for the MCAT while finishing your Master's. Leave the Master's program and enter either a post-bacc program or Master's OR SMP at a MED SCHOOL. Kill it with a 4.0, apply to med school, become a doctor.

Your stats are good enough to get into a top-tier SMP (if you get that 30) like GTown, BU MAMS, Tufts, Cinci, ETC. If you get shy of 30, apply to Master's at medical schools (Wayne BMS, Loyola's at Stritch, the like), retake MCAT during school year or just after, then apply to med school, become a doctor. Apply DO the year you start your SMP/Master's with your first MCAT score if you get 500+. Grade replacement won't help you at all for MD and barely for DO because A. Your current stats are good enough for DO and B. You were a science major with lots of credits.

Dishing out 70k for SMP is not a logical option, specially when all roads take you to Rome( a doctor)

Thanks for the advice! It seems sound to me.

Dishing out 70k for SMP is not a logical option, specially when all roads take you to Rome( a doctor)
That's why I also suggest just a Master's at a Medical School. Your in state one will be cheap AF too.

That's why I also suggest just a Master's at a Medical School. Your in state one will be cheap AF too.
Only if it guarantees admissions to medical school, otherwise, it is waste of time.

There is only ONE program that GUARANTEES acceptance, which is Tulane.

I beg to differ. The program I am doing is viewed very highly by my in-state medical schools. After 20 credits grad GPA, WSU SOM and MSU CHM replace your undergrad science GPA.

Which doesn't sound like a waste of time to me.

Again, if he does poorly on SMP it won't look for any medical school he applies to. So, it does not look as a win-win situation to me.

Again, if he does poorly on SMP it won't look for any medical school he applies to. So, it does not look as a win-win situation to me.
With all due respect, if it comes down to your "re-do", and last chance and you completely bomb it, you probably wouldn't have made it through med school anway.

There is only ONE program that GUARANTEES acceptance, which is Tulane.

Doesn't Temple also have a direct link?

Also- FSU seems to have something as well as USF (the IMS program I think), though I don't know that I fit their admission requirements (I'm not an URM). Regardless, I think I would feel more comfortable taking a few undergrad upper level bio courses to prepare me for any SMP. Also, as an aside, 70k would be tough to swallow if I don't get into a medical school, but if I got in it would be easily worth it and money well spent if that's what pushes me into competitive territory.

With all due respect, if it comes down to your "re-do", and last chance and you completely bomb it, you probably wouldn't have made it through med school anway.
Point taken. You could be a medical student and fail/get dismissed for multiple unseen reasons as well. Personally, I do not see a problem with prospective applicants wanting to go allopathic school, but I do see a problem with their ego and irrational decisions. My sincere apologies, if may sound as of i came rude at you/your post.

Also, as an aside, 70k would be tough to swallow if I don't get into a medical school, but if I got in it would be easily worth it and money well spent if that's what pushes me into competitive territory.
You would be wasting 2 years of attending physician salary.