my postion.......I NEED HELP.....SERIOUSLY.

Discussion in 'Step I' started by cheeskie, May 11, 2008.

1. cheeskie

Hello,i just took the downloaded version of nbme 3 and got 149/200...now i know i shda taken it online buit i chose to take this one like this since i bumped ionto it.i intend to take form 5 and 6 online.The problem is i am doing horribly with the epi/biostat questions,my molecular biology is not as sound as i think it should be and i have a lot of loose ends here and there.Please i have a lot of questions and need answers.
    1]How does my score relate to the test......i hear there is a formula for it
    2]Can i depend on HY mol bio 1999 for my probs in that area?
    3]Where can i get a good knowledge of these biostat questions/
    4]I need help with populkation genetics and hardy weinberg kinda stuff.where can i get a good knowledge of this
    5]I need to consolidate on my physio,pharmacology and patho/pathophysio.what can i do?
    Please guys i am kinda desperate cos my exam is in 3 wks and i am thinkn i shdnt be in this state by now.HELP.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc20

Attending Physician
    NBME scores are very closely related to actual step 1, if you took it in standarised conditions.
    for epi/biostat do kaplan or first aid and do lots of questions from now till the 3 weeks

4. wonderboy00

Medical Student
    even though you feel uncomfortable with epibiostats, genetics, and molecular bio, i don't think those subjects alone account for your low score. the subjects that you should focus more on should be path, physio, pharm, micro...i'm not saying you should blow off the lower yield subjects, but i honestly think ur lacking in the more important subjects. but to answer your question, either high-yield or behavioral does a decent job with epibiostats, the kaplan book is good for genetics, and the 1999 HY molecular is ok but it seems like it leaves a lot of info out that i've come across with in the NBME's and USMLE world. Anyways, best of luck to you. I also recommend that perhaps you can look into postponing your test date. I think if you study hard (esp. path!) for 1 month+ you will see a significant improvement in your score. Also, have you been doing a question bank? Those are extremely helpful as well. Hope that helps....

5. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Who even knows what a raw 149/200 on that particular NBME means. 75% might equal a 230....

6. RussianJoo

RussianJoo Useless Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't think so. I got 230 on nbme3 when i did it online and I also had the downloaded form, which i checked afterwards and I got 84% correct. 75% probably correlates to like 215.

7. cheeskie

hello thanx for your reactions and thots so far......please i will like to have some more....thanx