My RC strategy, the balanced approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BYU4you

Loma Linda University - OMFS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So since I've posted my breakdown I've had quite a few people either asking more about my RC strategy or telling me thanks and that it has helped them quite a bit.

This is how I got a 28 on my DAT.
(Not sure what I got wrong except for one question that required previous knowledge of something I wasn't familiar to)

So similar to vicviper I wasn't doing well on RC on bootcamp or qvault. I was averaging around 20 and 19. Even on qvault which was easier I couldn't break a 22. Much of this was either on time constraints reading the whole passage first or on not utilizing S&D well.

Vicviper's method I also tried but like he said it is very risky.

Right now there are a few strategies and honestly whatever works for you best is what works for you. I think once you can hit 24's on Bootcamp that is a solid enough strategy to get you a great score probably a perfect 30.

The original: Read the whole passage and answer questions.
The downside is that time can be an issue if you forget what you read or if you take to long. But tone questions will be easier.

Search and Destroy: look through questions and search the passage for key words.
Upside is saving a lot of time but downside is if you get tone questions or if you ant find something you can panic

Vicviper: a modified search and destroy essentially mapping questions in your head

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/vicvipers-rc-strategy.615852/

Same downsides as SandD but may be worse if you spend too much time looking through questions
Upside questions tell a lot about the passage before you answer.

Mapping: like original but you put keywords down on scratch paper for easier reference when going through questions

Reverse mapping: it's essentially vicvipers but you put keyword down for questions for easy reference.

My method is really just a balanced approach of all of the above. One thread I shared this in, a couple of people went from 19s to 23s and I went from a 19 to a 24 then killed the DAT with this method.

Again this isn't the new strategy that will break the DAT like line counting it just works for someone where Search and Destroy gives you anxiety but just reading isn't cutting it.

First, read the title thoroughly and similar to Aris advice, read the first two paragraphs thoroughly. After that read about half of the passage QUICKLY which will be about passage 7. By this point you have a gist what's going on and you've read enough to probably answer the first three questions but you haven't read so much that you e forgotten small details. Then once you hit a question you can't answer, read until you find it. Then read until you hit the next question. (There is a chance the fifth question will be something you e already read so you e lucked out) by the sixth question you are likely to have read the entire passage and answered a lot of questions. Now it's very simple Search and destroy. You will have only about 10 minutes left of the 20 minutes you should give a passage but search and destroy will be simple because you know the passage so well. Tone questions will be fairly easy for the same reason.

The only possible downsides to this method is if your first questions are ones at the end of the passage. You've read enough to know that already though so you can SandD that question or just skip and come back.

My passage had about 60 percent able to SandD and 40 tone. But much of the SandD questions would be hard because it involved keywords that showed up so any times I wouldn't know what to hit.

This method works because it really takes the best of a few methods and balances them out.

I thought I would just save my inbox and post this thread here instead. Let me know how it works! But the best method is what works best for you. You also need to just practice a lot using methods so you can easily understand how questions are being asked.

Bootcamp is great a a conditioning method and qvault is good to get a lot of practice.

Good luck with your tests!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 22 users
I like the sound of this "balanced" approach and I'm thinking of trying it out. I've heard on the real DAT that you see the passage on full screen first, then once you see the first question the passage is in a smaller text box so you have to scroll more to read. Do you recommend reading the first half of the article on the full screen version? Or skip ahead to read the first question and then proceed with your approach?

I used the big screen because it helped me read faster. I think I might've looked at the first question at some point and hit previous to go back to the large version

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the big screen because it helped me read faster. I think I might've looked at the first question at some point and hit previous to go back to the large version
Oh I didn't realize that you could switch back between the two views, I'll do that then. Thanks

Oh I didn't realize that you could switch back between the two views, I'll do that then. Thanks

Yes but once you are like 6 questions in it might be a pain to go back you will memorize enough to go off the bottom at that point

Reactions: 1 user
How dry can a RC article get? I've been reading a few scientific articles a day, and I feel like I've come across the dryest article I've ever seen. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-favorite-spaces-the-topologist-s-sine-curve/ it was hard to pay attention and understand the whole thing in one go

From my own experience and from the experience of reading multiple breakdowns.

Most people tend to either enjoy or not mind the articles on the real thing. I think the ADA is good at picking something simple enough to test on with some slightly entertaining articles.

2009 ADA was a fairly good representation of articles (not so much the difficulty of questions) and qvault as well. Bootcamp was slightly more difficult (a good thing in the end)

All in all though, it's the DAT and so I think it doesn't matter what they give you, your adrenaline is pumping and you will find a way to read it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you BYU4you!!!
English is my 2nd language and I used to completely S&D on bootcamp and ive been scoring like 15 and now im up to 20 on my 4th test.
I kinda modified your method where I would read up the first question first and read the first 3 paragraphs thoroughly and when if I hit the answer to first questions I would answer and continue on to the 2nd questions. I would read until I find it or if it's just a simple search destroy question I would stop reading and look for answer then continue reading. Im kinda all over the place and honestly I dont know what im doing but it surely is working for me haha.
Thank!!

Thank you BYU4you!!!
English is my 2nd language and I used to completely S&D on bootcamp and ive been scoring like 15 and now im up to 20 on my 4th test.
I kinda modified your method where I would read up the first question first and read the first 3 paragraphs thoroughly and when if I hit the answer to first questions I would answer and continue on to the 2nd questions. I would read until I find it or if it's just a simple search destroy question I would stop reading and look for answer then continue reading. Im kinda all over the place and honestly I dont know what im doing but it surely is working for me haha.
Thank!!

Hey I'm glad to hear it! I was getting 20s thoughout my practice on bootcamp at first also, and I was born with this language haha.

Again modify it for what works bust for you. I like the way you do it too, the reason I specifically chose this way was because on the actual DAT you are first presented with a full screen version of the article so I liked taking advantage of the easier read on that as opposed to the small text under the questions. Again if you are getting 20+ on bootcamp you are on the right track just keep practicing!

Wow this is awesome! I just took another RC bootcamp test and went from an 18 to 22 using your technique! Thank you so much for the valuable information and commitment to helping BYU4you!!! I'm taking my DAT tomorrow so this is a huge confidence booster going into my big day. Thanks so much!!

Wow this is awesome! I just took another RC bootcamp test and went from an 18 to 22 using your technique! Thank you so much for the valuable information and commitment to helping BYU4you!!! I'm taking my DAT tomorrow so this is a huge confidence booster going into my big day. Thanks so much!!

Awesome, let me know how it goes! Good luck!

I wonder if this woulda worked for me. I did well on RC, but I just read and answered questions straight up because every popular strategies lowered my score instead of raising it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a few more people ask me about this strategy and have seen a lot of threads on RC lately, so bumping up for visibility.

Sorry for a bump again, but I got a lot of messages asking where this thread was. Ari said they would get this thread on Bootcamp so there are more strategies on there for RC.

Good luck to anyone taking the test soon.

The only possible downsides to this method is if your first questions are ones at the end of the passage. You've read enough to know that already though so you can SandD that question or just skip and come back.

Is it common to have a questions at beginning asking about the final passages?

Is it common to have a questions at beginning asking about the final passages?
What I did was I would literally skim the entire article, scanning for key words. (it was about 20% reading and 80% search and destroy)
Then, I would look at the question, and figure out what it was asking. It was fairly easy to tell which part of the passage to look at (ie. If it starts talking about conclusions, I would scan from bottom to top, if it started talking about facts, I'd look toward the middle).
I would say manage your time as best as possible. If you don't find the answer within 45sec, I would mark it, and move on.

Last edited:
So since I've posted my breakdown I've had quite a few people either asking more about my RC strategy or telling me thanks and that it has helped them quite a bit.

(Not sure what I got wrong except for one question that required previous knowledge of something I wasn't familiar to)

So similar to vicviper I wasn't doing well on RC on bootcamp or qvault. I was averaging around 20 and 19. Even on qvault which was easier I couldn't break a 22. Much of this was either on time constraints reading the whole passage first or on not utilizing S&D well.

Right now there are a few strategies and honestly whatever works for you best is what works for you. I think once you can hit 24's on Bootcamp that is a solid enough strategy to get you a great score probably a perfect 30.

The downside is that time can be an issue if you forget what you read or if you take to long. But tone questions will be easier.

Search and Destroy: look through questions and search the passage for key words.
Upside is saving a lot of time but downside is if you get tone questions or if you ant find something you can panic

Vicviper: a modified search and destroy essentially mapping questions in your head

Same downsides as SandD but may be worse if you spend too much time looking through questions

Mapping: like original but you put keywords down on scratch paper for easier reference when going through questions

Reverse mapping: it's essentially vicvipers but you put keyword down for questions for easy reference.

My method is really just a balanced approach of all of the above. One thread I shared this in, a couple of people went from 19s to 23s and I went from a 19 to a 24 then killed the DAT with this method.

Again this isn't the new strategy that will break the DAT like line counting it just works for someone where Search and Destroy gives you anxiety but just reading isn't cutting it.

First, read the title thoroughly and similar to Aris advice, read the first two paragraphs thoroughly. After that read about half of the passage QUICKLY which will be about passage 7. By this point you have a gist what's going on and you've read enough to probably answer the first three questions but you haven't read so much that you e forgotten small details. Then once you hit a question you can't answer, read until you find it. Then read until you hit the next question. (There is a chance the fifth question will be something you e already read so you e lucked out) by the sixth question you are likely to have read the entire passage and answered a lot of questions. Now it's very simple Search and destroy. You will have only about 10 minutes left of the 20 minutes you should give a passage but search and destroy will be simple because you know the passage so well. Tone questions will be fairly easy for the same reason.

My passage had about 60 percent able to SandD and 40 tone. But much of the SandD questions would be hard because it involved keywords that showed up so any times I wouldn't know what to hit.

This method works because it really takes the best of a few methods and balances them out.

I thought I would just save my inbox and post this thread here instead. Let me know how it works! But the best method is what works best for you. You also need to just practice a lot using methods so you can easily understand how questions are being asked.

Bootcamp is great a a conditioning method and qvault is good to get a lot of practice.

Hi BYU4you. First, I would like to thank you for what you have shared to us. I really love your strategy because English is my second language. Therefore, my reading speed is really slow. Before I knew your strategy, I only get 14 or 15 on BootCamp. However, after I tried your method, It went up to 17.
Unfortunately, on the real test, my RC was only 15 but my AA was 21 thank to BootCamp. I think that my time management was really off because I was nervous due to the fact that the first 12 out of 18 question were tone questions and I stuck on the first paragraph for almost 30 minutes. I am not sure if I was using this strategy correctly or not, but I would like to ask for your advice. When you encounter the tone question, will you skip that question or guess the answer and move on to the next one and then come back if you have time after you finish the other question? What I had done was I try to answer all the questions (even tone question) in order and by the time I finished the 1st passage, I used up my 30 precious minutes. There were many suggestions about skipping or guessing the answer for tone question and come back to it later. I think I will try this method for my practice tests.
Moreover, do you have any suggestion of what reading comprehension practice test I should use? Before, I used BootCamp and Barron.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Hi BYU4you. First, I would like to thank you for what you have shared to us. I really love your strategy because English is my second language. Therefore, my reading speed is really slow. Before I knew your strategy, I only get 14 or 15 on BootCamp. However, after I tried your method, It went up to 17.
Unfortunately, on the real test, my RC was only 15 but my AA was 21 thank to BootCamp. I think that my time management was really off because I was nervous due to the fact that the first 12 out of 18 question were tone questions and I stuck on the first paragraph for almost 30 minutes. I am not sure if I was using this strategy correctly or not, but I would like to ask for your advice. When you encounter the tone question, will you skip that question or guess the answer and move on to the next one and then come back if you have time after you finish the other question? What I had done was I try to answer all the questions (even tone question) in order and by the time I finished the 1st passage, I used up my 30 precious minutes. There were many suggestions about skipping or guessing the answer for tone question and come back to it later. I think I will try this method for my practice tests.
Moreover, do you have any suggestion of what reading comprehension practice test I should use? Before, I used BootCamp and Barron.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

You have to really manage time and not let questions take up too much time. I personally don't like skipping questions or just guessing because chances are you won't have time to come back. But a 15 is pretty low and getting easier S and D questions would be away to improve that.

You just need to practice especially as a non native English speaker.

I recommend boot camp obviously and I think quality is good for exposure.

Can't comment on the rest.

Would you take shorthand notes on the sections as you went?

No, I found that to take too much time. Not only to write them but to reference as well.

HEY! I am following your method and scoring high 20's....on QVault for now...so how representative is QVault RC compared to real one..

HEY! I am following your method and scoring high 20's....on QVault for now...so how representative is QVault RC compared to real one..

I felt that Qvault was more similar to RC on the real DAT then Bootcamp was. Maybe a little easier than the real thing but similar over all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

i like this
Hello, how did this work for you because I am in the same boat you were in getting 15, 16 and 17's on my RC. I am also a slow reader, I have tried the mapping out process and going to the passage and reading it over. Does not really help.

Hello, how did this work for you because I am in the same boat you were in getting 15, 16 and 17's on my RC. I am also a slow reader, I have tried the mapping out process and going to the passage and reading it over. Does not really help.
Yea mapping out hurt me. I spent way too much time trying to read what I illegibly wrote. The first time I tried BYU4you's method it went terribly (think I got a 15). RC is all strategy. I think if I practiced more I would have scored higher but I was too focused on other subjects. Just keep rereading his strategy and keep practicing. I promise you'll get it.

In the same boat too, I found that mapping took too long, I started not writing stuff down (only highlighting important tidbits of info like dates, people etc. on BC) and reading a little bit then trying to answer as many questions as I could, I found my scores went up a few points after doing this (from 16,17 to 19/20)

Used the strat and got a 28 today!!! Thanks a lot for sharing :)