My Registration Name doesn't match my ID EXACTLY. I am screwed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSaiyan3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a big problem. My test day is tomorrow and I had signed up on my registration with my English name AND legal name... for example James Dang Park. Dang would be my legal name, but James would be my English name that I go by.

I just checked the AAMC website and it said that the ID must match EXACTLY what it says on the registration site.

Every Government Issued ID that I own is listed under Dang Park, and does not include James in the ID.

I just called AAMC about this foreign name issue and he simply said that they will not let me test tomorrow, although I can try. :eek:

I'm so shocked as to how strict this is. I wasn't really thinking much of it when I wrote both my names, since that's what I've been doing my entire life since I've immigrated to North America.

For those who've had this sort of problem, did you have much luck??

I am ready for the test, but I wasn't ready for this sort of a problem. ARHG what should I do!? Go downtown and try to get some sort of a government issued ID that says all my name? Where could I even do that!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think they will understand. I would bring your passport in addition to your driver's license since that will also have your SS# on it. I don't see why they couldn't just match up the image on your passport with your driver's license and the SS#. Don't worry about it too much, just relax and hopefully everything will be ok. Whatever happens though, try to explain your situation in a respectful way and maybe they will understand. You devoted the last 3+ months studying for this. Something dumb like this shouldn't hold you back. Let them know that. Good luck. :)

Seriously, good luck. I really hope they let you in. But how do people do this so often? The MCAT EXPLICITLY states that you MUST register with the exact name on your ID.

thanks. I am assured that I will be able to write the test tomorrow. I called my testing centre DIRECTLY and spoke with the person who handles registration and sign in. Thankfully, I had stopped by the testing centre a couple months ago before I booked my test to check out the place and it was the same person who gave me the tour of the centre then who had picked up the phone and is doing the registration tomorrow. She remembered who I was (I have that effect with people hahah) and said it'd be fine as long as I bring forms of government issued ID with pictures and signatures. Definitely bringing every single form of ID I own tomorrow just in case though. PHEW!

And yes, I did spend the last 3 months of my life studying for this test.

And for the record, AAMC is most definitely not pleasant people. The guy who was on the phone was so rude and cold-hearted!! Okay, I've had a job as a telecommunications researcher (same thing as a telemarketer pretty much) and I was SOOOOOOO nice to people on the phone, no matter how rude they were to me. This guy had no empathy and did not put in any effort whatsoever to try to help me, even when I asked for guidance when he told me flat out that I won't get in no matter what. What a jerk. I wish I could score him and the AAMC out of 45T score scale and give them a 3J (the bare minimum).

Good luck to all who are taking the test tomorrow!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, good luck. I really hope they let you in. But how do people do this so often? The MCAT EXPLICITLY states that you MUST register with the exact name on your ID.

because I'm an idiot. I didn't think people could be that serious. No... I didn't think LIFE could be that serious.

And they're not.. not in reality. The person at the testing centre were kind enough to understand that immigrants like to use English names rather than Dipshakhalisohaib, an example of a Indian name.

Ahh, no. I heard of this happening last month when a guy used his "English" name on his registration out of habbit, and they wouldn't let him test.

Hopefully they will allow you to do it, but they tend to be really strict on this. I would bring two forms of ID, like previously suggested, if you have them.

If not, try and sign up for the next test as soon as you can so you are still where you need to be study wise. (Would suck to be out the money tho) Hopefully someone from an upcoming test date will drop so you can sneak in if they don't let you test. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yay! Congrats! Yeah, they are crazy rude over there about this sort of thing. Good luck tomorrow!!!

Hey guys. I have a big problem. My test day is tomorrow and I had signed up on my registration with my English name AND legal name... for example James Dang Park. Dang would be my legal name, but James would be my English name that I go by.

I just checked the AAMC website and it said that the ID must match EXACTLY what it says on the registration site.

Every Government Issued ID that I own is listed under Dang Park, and does not include James in the ID.

I just called AAMC about this foreign name issue and he simply said that they will not let me test tomorrow, although I can try. :eek:

I'm so shocked as to how strict this is. I wasn't really thinking much of it when I wrote both my names, since that's what I've been doing my entire life since I've immigrated to North America.

For those who've had this sort of problem, did you have much luck??

I am ready for the test, but I wasn't ready for this sort of a problem. ARHG what should I do!? Go downtown and try to get some sort of a government issued ID that says all my name? Where could I even do that!!!
how could you not have known this beforehand? christ... just go to the test site and hope they let you in but don't be surprised if they don't.

Why would you bring a printed confirmation? Bring your ID, that's all you need.

To the OP, I would bring a passport or other valid 2nd form of ID to verify your given name and simply hope for the best. They have to be tough on names, though, to make sure that someone else isn't subbed in for your test.

Why would you bring a printed confirmation? Bring your ID, that's all you need.

To the OP, I would bring a passport or other valid 2nd form of ID to verify your given name and simply hope for the best. They have to be tough on names, though, to make sure that someone else isn't subbed in for your test.
just in case. they asked for it at my testing center.

It's not on the list of required items as per the AAMC website. If they were asking for a $5 processing fee to sit down, would you give it to them? If you hadn't brought that confirmation sheet, would they have turned you away? I'm not trying to be flippant, I'm simply pointing out that the test is administered in accordance with AAMC's rules. The local testing centers don't get to make up rules of their own. The confirmation page may have been convenient for whomever was entering data at the login terminal, but it is certainly not required.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/taking/testdaytips.htm

It's not on the list of required items as per the AAMC website. If they were asking for a $5 processing fee to sit down, would you give it to them? If you hadn't brought that confirmation sheet, would they have turned you away? I'm not trying to be flippant, I'm simply pointing out that the test is administered in accordance with AAMC's rules. The local testing centers don't get to make up rules of their own. The confirmation page may have been convenient for whomever was entering data at the login terminal, but it is certainly not required.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/taking/testdaytips.htm

test centers are run by people. people may make mistakes or be misinformed. why deal with a potential bother when it's a simple backup to have.

thanks. I am assured that I will be able to write the test tomorrow. I called my testing centre DIRECTLY and spoke with the person who handles registration and sign in. Thankfully, I had stopped by the testing centre a couple months ago before I booked my test to check out the place and it was the same person who gave me the tour of the centre then who had picked up the phone and is doing the registration tomorrow. She remembered who I was (I have that effect with people hahah) and said it'd be fine as long as I bring forms of government issued ID with pictures and signatures. Definitely bringing every single form of ID I own tomorrow just in case though. PHEW!

And yes, I did spend the last 3 months of my life studying for this test.

And for the record, AAMC is most definitely not pleasant people. The guy who was on the phone was so rude and cold-hearted!! Okay, I've had a job as a telecommunications researcher (same thing as a telemarketer pretty much) and I was SOOOOOOO nice to people on the phone, no matter how rude they were to me. This guy had no empathy and did not put in any effort whatsoever to try to help me, even when I asked for guidance when he told me flat out that I won't get in no matter what. What a jerk. I wish I could score him and the AAMC out of 45T score scale and give them a 3J (the bare minimum).

Good luck to all who are taking the test tomorrow!!

DANG! this may have been terrible... :D

Good luck!

i wrote! hoorayyyy

my testing centre administrator was sooooooooooooooooooooo nice!!

and all the girls who worked in the centre were so HAWT! big bonus here haha

lol super random question, but how were the computers set up at your center?

were they all facing toward the walls or in rows? I mean, I for one would hate to be taking the test and constantly seeing people file in and out of the room.

the computers were all facing the same way, and the screens were perpendicular to the table.

It makes it VERY easy to cheat, I don't understand why they had us set up like that.

But do not make attempts to do so because:
1. it's immoral.
2. there are literally video cameras for EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the testing room. They showed us at the front of the class of a TV screen that had 16 videos going for every single desk in the room. Furthermore, the proctor is paranoid or something and is constantly giving everybody shifty eyes during the test. The funny thing was that I was sitting directly across from her and since I have a tall posture, I look OVER the screen when I'm sitting up straight. So for the 4 hours I was in there writing the test, it was like I was staring into her cold, soulless AAMC eyes and her gaze was piercing into mine.