• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Dental 101

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hey everyone,
First time SDNer and I already have a feeling I'm going to get super addicted to this website. Anyways, my stats aren't competitive at all, ive pretty much got all C's and some B's in science course and on top of that i'm not a sci major. what can i say, i had terrible work ethics. however, i know my potential is much higher than that (I do get A's when i try). so i basically plan on applying for the 07-08 period and i was wondering if it would be wise to apply early like every1 recommends b/c i'm afraid once they see my scores its going to be an automatic rejection. so i was thinking of applying after both summer sessions which i plan on rocking (one of the courses is a repeat of ochem (c-)) besides that, i plan on taking my DATz by may and of course do well in that. and my last question is what should i do during fall, ive already graduated, i was thinking of either enrolling in some grad courses or some upper div bios.... any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Uracil

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Since you are going to have a year off-take some classes and do really good on those and definitely study hard for the DAT and take it ASAP!

OregonDent

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you record is as bad as you say it is, a few summer courses are not going to help you. What I would suggest to is focus on the DAT. You will need to pick up 21+ in each sections, and then apply to a lot of school. There are schools out there that will admit people primarily on DAT.

About the Ads

AnonymousADCOM

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
u need post bacc with a hella high DAT score. that's right. hella. 24+ high. mostly Bs and Cs implies a less than 3.0 GPA.

edit: so dont apply to d schools yet.

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you record is as bad as you say it is, a few summer courses are not going to help you. What I would suggest to is focus on the DAT. You will need to pick up 21+ in each sections, and then apply to a lot of school. There are schools out there that will admit people primarily on DAT.

I am almost in the same boat as the OP, and that is what I'm doing. Taking no classes this semester, just focusing on the DAT. Hopefully, I will do great and get in somewhere.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Lansing, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, your going to have to somehow prove to them that you are a matured and serious student. Having Bs and Cs along with 25+ on the AA (lets suppose you ase the DAT), all this shows to them is that your a genious and nothing else.

from what I underestand is, dental schools don't only look for grades and high DATs, they also look for serious and matured students.... You have to show them you have matured out of the "I don't care about my grades" mentality. The only way to accomplish this is to take more / harder science courses and do better (Bs and As).

My opinion is, getting into dental school is pretty hard (but defenetly not impossible), but its no where near as hard as the first 2 years into dental schools. Man 19 credit hours of biochem, microbio, and like 5 other crazy science courses is no joke and one must prepare themselves for some serious study time every single day or u'll fall behind and possibly fail a course or two. Best way to prepare for such heavy courses is to take hard science courses before you get into d-school, that way u'll learn how to study for LONG @$$ periods of time.

Red Falcon

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you have under a 3.0, a 20AA or higher DAT score is strongly recommended. At the bare minimum, you need to pull a 20AA on your next DAT before applying. Once you do that, you should get into some schools. High GPA scores are at a premium these days, but they aren't everything. If you post a competitive test score, then the adcoms will understand. You just need some counterweight to make up for that low GPA. A 21AA on the DAT would probably seal the deal for you with a good interview.

Dooey23

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
don't apply yet... bring up your gpa... don't do anything but study

don't go to predents.com... it will scare you

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
do visit DMDstudent.com though, it will help.

predents.com can have unhonest stats, but i think they are true for the most part. PDizzle did a great job making that site.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.