My Situation, What score do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajlst11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have been planning to take my DAT on July 24th this summer. I have been studying for about two weeks. I am studying hard, but I could probably use some extra motivation. Now, I understand that I need to achieve the highest possible score on the DAT due to today's competition/high scores/and overall difficulty of gaining admission into a dental school. Now, my GPA is a 3.95 and I am an Environmental Science (Pre-Med) Major-didn't have Biology or Chem- Basically I am a Pre-Dental Major. I have all pre-reqs done, with all high level sciences with good grades. I play Division 1-AA football at Robert Morris University in Pennsylvania. I have over 200 hrs of shadowing/assisting/working with a dentist. I have done some volunteering elsewhere in the form of community service. Based on these stats only (tell me if i am missing something):

What scores, AA, TS, PAT should I HAVE to get in order to gain admission into schools such as:

Pitt, UNC, NOV, Fl. State, UT-Hou, UT-San Ant., Baylor, USC, UCSF, UCLA......and maybe some others?? Since I am out of state, this is even more difficult, but please give me a ball park of what you guys think, I would really appreciate it.

Also, I am studying right now and using many materials that have been listed on SDN, so if you have any questions about how well they seem to be working, I would be happy to answer them.

Members don't see this ad.

With that GPA and my impression of your EC's, as long as you get 19's I'm sure you'll get in. The average accepted stats overall (Last Year) were 3.4 GPA and 19 DAT, so you're way above on the GPA side, so you've got some leeway on the DAT side - but don't let that stop you from doing the best you can, clearly a better DAT would be better.

Also, if you're not a Texas resident, there's hardly any reason to apply to the Texas schools, the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools (which I suggest you invest in, best $35 I ever spent), says that there was not a single out of stater as part of the class at UT - Houston.

With that GPA and my impression of your EC's, as long as you get 19's I'm sure you'll get in. The average accepted stats overall (Last Year) were 3.4 GPA and 19 DAT, so you're way above on the GPA side, so you've got some leeway on the DAT side - but don't let that stop you from doing the best you can, clearly a better DAT would be better.

Also, if you're not a Texas resident, there's hardly any reason to apply to the Texas schools, the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools (which I suggest you invest in, best $35 I ever spent), says that there was not a single out of stater as part of the class at UT - Houston.

+1 :thumbup:

To the OP: Florida State doesn't have a dental school...I'm assuming you meant UF?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine as long as you get at least 18/19. Make sure you don't have any scores lower than 17/18 though, b/c some schools may have cutoffs. Good luck on the studying, 2 months should be plenty of time.

just work hard and it will pay off. You are in a good position. Practice every section (including QR!). You don't want anything pulling down that AA. Best of luck! :D

Victoria, is that dog pink? I keep doing a double take when I see your avatar. :laugh:

Haha, no...I guess I can kind of see the pinkish tone now, just weird lighting I think. She's actually a golden retriever puppy! Though not a puppy anymore, I should probably update the picture... :p

Everything seems to be fine. But if you're considering UCLA, I definitely need 21 and higher on your DAT. With your GPA, UCSF is almost a done deal as long as you DAT score doesnt fall below 19, and that's because UCSF likes applicants with high GPAs; whereas, based on my personal experience, UCLA tends to focus on DAT scores.
You shouldn't have any problem getting into USC other than being able to afford the tuition.
Whatever you do, don't get too confident because you have a high GPA. Most schools look at your DAT as a measure of your academic performance rather than your GPA. That's because you could've gotten that GPA from any school; whereas, your DAT is a standardized test across the country!
So focus on that DAT and you should be fine!

Good Luck!:thumbup: