My stats-no idea where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still in awe of how there is no way to know how competitive you are for schools. Unlike med schools where you knew their average numbers and scores etc. So my situation is i got to roughtly the 45th ranked medical school. I got a 218 on step 1, and have honored half my 3rd year rotations and plan to do as well or better on step 2. I want to go to california or arizona and just wondering what type of programs should i even waste time applying to. For example should i even apply to programs like ucla, ucsd? or should i stick to community programs? and if so what are the real odds that i can get into something like ucla etc on a purely numbers stats. thanks so much i know these posts are annoying but im trying to make a list of schools and just have no clue how to decide-my advisor has also been useless. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TheCat said:
I am still in awe of how there is no way to know how competitive you are for schools. Unlike med schools where you knew their average numbers and scores etc. So my situation is i got to roughtly the 45th ranked medical school. I got a 218 on step 1, and have honored half my 3rd year rotations and plan to do as well or better on step 2. I want to go to california or arizona and just wondering what type of programs should i even waste time applying to. For example should i even apply to programs like ucla, ucsd? or should i stick to community programs? and if so what are the real odds that i can get into something like ucla etc on a purely numbers stats. thanks so much i know these posts are annoying but im trying to make a list of schools and just have no clue how to decide-my advisor has also been useless. thanks!

Cat,
It is such a random process. Your score is not horrible and is fine IHMO, but a glance at the interviews offered thread shows many many people with 230+, +/- AOA, many honors, getting shut out at UCSF, UCD, Stanford, UCLA. My advice is to apply broadly across AZ and CA. Take a look at community programs such at Santa Clara Valley. Apply to Cedars-Sinai and UCLA-Harbor, both of which have excellent reputations. Consider USC where I've heard that you will get a great education. If you broaden your scope beyond UCLA, there are many great places out there. It's just so hard to predict whether you'll get the UCLA interview offer.

I'm not as up to date on AZ programs, Mayo in Scottsdale is supposedly very good. Great area. I like Phoenix a lot, Scottsdale is even nicer.

If you can start a research project or case report, it would be very helpful. Great LORs go a long way.

Good luck.

TheCat said:
For example should i even apply to programs like ucla, ucsd? or should i stick to community programs? and if so what are the real odds that i can get into something like ucla etc on a purely numbers stats.
I spoke to my program director and they were very helpful in predicting which schools to apply to (as in out of my reach schools vs. saferty schools). They often have first-hand knowledge of where previous graduates of your medical school have successfully matched. It is important to have realistic expectations so you won't be disappointed when rejections roll in, yet have some hope for those "reach schools". The cost of applying to a couple of super competitive schools is relatively minimal compared to the cost of interviewing or just happening to land an interview at a school you didn't think you could get an interview at. Just looking at the previous threads many with AOA, step >240's are rejected from competitive programs while others with lower scores are getting interviews. It is worth applying and getting the rejection letter than not applying at all; you might be pleasantly surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for taking the time guys-that was really helpful advise and thoughts-much appreciated. Sounds like IM is a bit more competitive than i had thought-i tell ya everything now adays is competitive! thanks again!

1/2 of all US med students scored BELOW you on Step 1!! Don't let this forum scare you. Its primed with gunners. You are US grad. It really is a random process. I'm an IMG with avg scores and I'm getting interviews at places where people with 99's are getting rejected. the whole application is important. But target your applications wisely. You'll do fine. GL :thumbup: