My Step 3 experience (I passed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicstep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a lot of great advice by lurking on these threads ;) So, I wanted to return the favor. Hopefully someone will get something out of it.

My info: US educated MD, passed all previous steps on first attempt. I graduated 3 years ago and I've never been in residency (please, I don't feel like discussing it here :)).

I studied off and on for about 6 weeks and then cranked it up for 2 weeks.

I used Kaplan Qbook at first, but I found it inadequate. I then switched to USMLE world. I did blocks of 48 questions in timed mode, then reviewed using First Aid, Boards and Wards, and my old notes from steps 1 and 2.

I finished about 97% of USMLE world with a 50% avg. I did all of the interactive CCS cases.

I passed with a 191. That is FAR lower than my Step 1 score, but my goal was to pass, so I'm very happy.

What brought me down was the CCS, which is odd, considering that I felt the best about that section. I thought I aced it--no one died, and I always reached a resolution of the case very quickly.

And like everyone says, obgyn is HUGE on step 3!

Anyway, I'm so relieved to be done with all steps. Good luck to you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I got a lot of great advice by lurking on these threads ;) So, I wanted to return the favor. Hopefully someone will get something out of it.

My info: US educated MD, passed all previous steps on first attempt. I graduated 3 years ago and I've never been in residency (please, I don't feel like discussing it here :)).

I used Kaplan Qbook at first, but I found it inadequate. I then switched to USMLE world. I did blocks of 48 questions in timed mode, then reviewed using First Aid, Boards and Wards, and my old notes from steps 1 and 2.

I finished about 97% of USMLE world with a 50% avg. I did all of the interactive CCS cases.

I passed with a 191. That is FAR lower than my Step 1 score, but my goal was to pass, so I'm very happy.

What brought me down was the CCS, which is odd, considering that I felt the best about that section. I thought I aced it--no one died, and I always reached a resolution of the case very quickly.

Congrats Magicstep!!!

Good to see a fellow AMG get back into the network after being on a hiatus for so long. Thanks for the useful tips. Good luck!!!:)

Is there anything you wish you had done differently after having taken the exam? I heard Master the Boards book by Conrad Fischer is good since it goes through all the "inital step, best next step" for each disease.

Congrats Magicstep!!!

Good to see a fellow AMG get back into the network after being on a hiatus for so long. Thanks for the useful tips. Good luck!!!:)
thanks! :thumbup:

Is there anything you wish you had done differently after having taken the exam? I heard Master the Boards book by Conrad Fischer is good since it goes through all the "inital step, best next step" for each disease.
I suppose I could've studied for the CCS differently, but IDK how. Overall, though, I'm pleased with how I prepared.... don't really wish I'd done anything massively differently.

Never heard of that book... just used 1st Aid, USMLE world, and Boards and Wards. :)