my step 3 experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdawg2003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my step 3 score and thought I would share my experience.

I'm a PGY2 psychiatry resident and have been out of med school for over 10 yrs doing research. I decided to come back to clinical medicine and started psychiatry residency last year. Because I was out of school for so long, I started studying for Step 3 as soon as I started residency. I wound up going through UWorld questions several times - 1x in tutor mode, then through all of my wrong questions, and then several months later in 40 question blocks timed/tutor mode (through about 50% of the questions). 1st time through I averaged about 45-50%, the 2nd time about 65%. I also watched MedQuest review videos by Conrad Fisher, et al. And I did ********** prep. I also flipped through MTB and 1st aid occasionally. After all this prep, I wasn't sure where I stood, so I did a NBME self assessment for $60 on which I scored 430, which I figured was good enough to pass. Afterwards I focused on my low scoring areas based on the self-assessment scores and also getting ready for the CCS, for which I did ********** videos and UW CCS cases. I didn't get through all of the UW CCS cases, but I also thought that some of the UW CCS cases were more complex than the real exam.

I wound up scoring 210 and am very happy to have passed on the first try. Out of all these resources, I thought ********** were the most high-yield and I really learned a lot from those videos. The MedQuest videos were good, but a bit expensive and a little long winded. But still very educational. And, of course, UW was helpful.

I hope some you may find this helpful as I have found it helpful to read other people's experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just received my step 3 score and thought I would share my experience.

I'm a PGY2 psychiatry resident and have been out of med school for over 10 yrs doing research. I decided to come back to clinical medicine and started psychiatry residency last year. Because I was out of school for so long, I started studying for Step 3 as soon as I started residency. I wound up going through UWorld questions several times - 1x in tutor mode, then through all of my wrong questions, and then several months later in 40 question blocks timed/tutor mode (through about 50% of the questions). 1st time through I averaged about 45-50%, the 2nd time about 65%. I also watched MedQuest review videos by Conrad Fisher, et al. And I did ********** prep. I also flipped through MTB and 1st aid occasionally. After all this prep, I wasn't sure where I stood, so I did a NBME self assessment for $60 on which I scored 430, which I figured was good enough to pass. Afterwards I focused on my low scoring areas based on the self-assessment scores and also getting ready for the CCS, for which I did ********** videos and UW CCS cases. I didn't get through all of the UW CCS cases, but I also thought that some of the UW CCS cases were more complex than the real exam.

I wound up scoring 210 and am very happy to have passed on the first try. Out of all these resources, I thought ********** were the most high-yield and I really learned a lot from those videos. The MedQuest videos were good, but a bit expensive and a little long winded. But still very educational. And, of course, UW was helpful.

I hope some you may find this helpful as I have found it helpful to read other people's experiences.

Congrats on the pass! Great work.
Archers CCS was the most high yield? If you want one ( and only one) resource for the test... Uworld takes the cake. I wouldn’t have felt comfortable with just doing a CCS review course. For some, at least as with my experience, UW alone was sufficient.