My Step1 Study Plan (any advice?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gooby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The curriculum at my school is very well suited for STEP studying during the semester. While I obviously intend to do the bulk of my studying once the semester has ended, I intend on getting a head start.

Tentative test date: May 29, 2014
Spring Semester Begins: January 2
Spring Semester Ends: May 6
Target Score: ~240

Phase 1 (January 2 - February 8)
Materials
: FA2014, DIT2012
Plan: Achieve first pass through FA using the guidance of DIT2012 (4 videos daily).
Notes: 4 videos daily along with completion of workbook for the accompanying videos should total out to about 1.5-2 hours a day. I also have a USMLE Express (makers of FA) subscription. I have been debating whether or not I should use that to get through FA for the first time, or use DIT. The benefit to Express are that the videos are much shorter, however the fact that they are just "reading FA to you" is even more apparent than in DIT. I'm not really planning on using either resource to purely learn, but rather provide structure and pace me through FA for the first time. However, I am already pretty well acquainted with FA, as I have been using it for all of our system-based units in my curriculum since the start of MS1.

Phase 2 (February 9 - May 5)
Materials
: FA2014, UWorld
Plan: Achieve a pass through all UWorld questions w/ thorough review and annotation of questions into FA (25 questions a day; timed-random).
Notes: The idea is to make sure I get at least one good pass through FA before I even attempt to do UWorld. I have experience using USMLERx already; and there are so many frustrating moments in which I don't remember a subtle side effect of an anti-psychotic drug, or something like that, simply because I haven't reviewed it in FA in the past 8 months. At 25 questions a day, I should be able to get through the Qbank by May 5th.

Phase 3 (May 6 - May 29)
Materials
: FA2014, UWorld, Pathoma, Kaplan Pharm Videos, NBMEs, Anki or FA Flash Facts, Various Review books/sources.
Plan: 1. Another pass through FA focusing on memorization of subtle details. 2. Redoing missed questions in UWorld. 3. Complete pass through Pathoma and Kaplan Pharm. 4. Do NBMEs (one to two weekly). 5. Resort to review sources for weaknesses (BRS, HY, etc.).
Notes: So this phase in my study plan is the one that will probably change the most because it is so far away from now. I feel like when this time comes, I will have a solid idea of where I am deficient and where I need to focus the most on. I've heard great things about the Kaplan Pharm videos, so I intend on using those.

One issue I've recently noticed in this plan is that there is no buffer room. If I miss one day, it's pretty much screwed. I tried to remain somewhat realistic in what I can do during the school semester, but as I said before, my school is very well designed to give us extra time to be able to study during the school year.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow this plan is involved. I hope you get to do 1/3 of this plan and still pass your classes. You'd be better served using Anki throughout the spring semester but it'd still be beneficial as a cram tool close to your exam. Best of luck!

Something I learned by following a schedule is that crap gets thrown around a lot more than I anticipated. I'll read 150 pages today turns into reading only 40 because I had to reread to understand stuff. I would build some sort of weekly buffer into the schedule.

Wow this plan is involved. I hope you get to do 1/3 of this plan and still pass your classes. You'd be better served using Anki throughout the spring semester but it'd still be beneficial as a cram tool close to your exam. Best of luck!

Anki has been my #1 resource in med school. I've been using it to memorize just about everything.

Something I learned by following a schedule is that crap gets thrown around a lot more than I anticipated. I'll read 150 pages today turns into reading only 40 because I had to reread to understand stuff. I would build some sort of weekly buffer into the schedule.

I hear you on that. FA Express would be less time consuming for sure, and would allow me to incorporate some buffer days. Also I would be using the 2012 version of DIT, which is using the 2012 version of FA, which is full of errors. I'm leaning toward FA Express now...