My technician compounded an IV with 2 different manufacturers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saydali

R&DtoRPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was a 2 gm Ancef in 100 mL NS. She used 2 different manufacturers (6 x 1gm vials)
My concern is that I don't know which bag has which manufacturer? So in case of an adverse event, I would rather track the bag to one manufacturer.
What do you guy think? Should I just use the bags or have her remake them with one manufacturer per bag !?

Members don't see this ad.

Just write both of the manufacturers on the bag. Simple as that... Why is this even an issue? :confused:

You wouldn't know which lot the "bad" drug came from with the same manufacturer either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You wouldn't know which lot the "bad" drug came from with the same manufacturer either.

Good point .. but in general what we have in stock at one point is from the same lot. But at least we can limit the liability in case of a bad lot with one manufacturer.

Let's say there is an adverse reaction due the drug. The patient's die or get injured, then the hospital is sued. It would be easier to track the issue to one manufacturer, than having the IV antibiotic made with 2 different manufacturers and not knowing what manufacturer caused the problem!?

...in general what we have in stock at one point is from the same lot.
Why did you have two different manufacturers? Was there a change in formulary? I'd assume you would stock only one type normally.

Also, were the two manufacturers' products going into the same bag? It seems like that might be less than kosher due to a possible difference in excipients, but I'm not really experienced on that (only a p1).

If you're that worried about it, chuck them and re-do it. At least it's only Ancef and not something more expensive.