My tentative schedule for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caretaker22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a medical student currently enrolled in 3rd year MBBS (Will be in 4th year soon). I'm hoping to give the USMLE step 1 either near the end of 4th year (over a year from now) or sometime in 5th year.

My resources:

Kaplan Lecture notes 2016 + Kaplan videos
First aid step 1 (2016) + Errata FA2016
BRS Physio
Conrad Fischer ethics
Rapid Review Pathology by Goljan (Possibly with addition of Pathoma videos? As I heard Patho is THE most important portion of Step 1 regardless of everything else)

My plan:

Read the books slowly starting soon until about 8 months from now whereby I will start online assessments (UWorld and NBME, which, btw, are there any other good ones?) and see where I'm landing on the scoreboard to take the final plunge. Probably going to dedicate 4-5 hours a day. I dont feel like I need to rush it too much until I'm coming closer to the exam, maybe 3 or so months prior to it.

What do you all think of my plans? BTW another important question: I have found textbook versions of the USMLE world question bank and USMLE Rx question banks which basically have an mcq per page with the answer and its explanation there as well. Theres about 6 volumes per question bank. Are these legit?

Any input is more than welcome, thanks for your time guys, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm a medical student currently enrolled in 3rd year MBBS (Will be in 4th year soon). I'm hoping to give the USMLE step 1 either near the end of 4th year (over a year from now) or sometime in 5th year.

My resources:

Kaplan Lecture notes 2016 + Kaplan videos
First aid step 1 (2016) + Errata FA2016
BRS Physio
Conrad Fischer ethics
Rapid Review Pathology by Goljan (Possibly with addition of Pathoma videos? As I heard Patho is THE most important portion of Step 1 regardless of everything else)

My plan:

Read the books slowly starting soon until about 8 months from now whereby I will start online assessments (UWorld and NBME, which, btw, are there any other good ones?) and see where I'm landing on the scoreboard to take the final plunge. Probably going to dedicate 4-5 hours a day. I dont feel like I need to rush it too much until I'm coming closer to the exam, maybe 3 or so months prior to it.

What do you all think of my plans? BTW another important question: I have found textbook versions of the USMLE world question bank and USMLE Rx question banks which basically have an mcq per page with the answer and its explanation there as well. Theres about 6 volumes per question bank. Are these legit?

Any input is more than welcome, thanks for your time guys, and good luck!

You need to include both Pathoma and SketchyMedicine. You have significant amounts of time to cover both in-depth. They are the bare minimum only because everyone uses them. You might get a question you think is esoteric, but 90% of everyone else will get it correct because Dr. Sattar said it was high yield 20 times. Your First Aid absolutely needs to be up to date. Get 17' and then 18' next year before you write it. The additions aren't just for funsies, they are what was likely on peoples exams that weren't in the previous editions. I've already noticed a couple questions from my form that weren't in 16', but were in 17'. I personally liked the Kaplan videos, so I think that's a good idea, especially for your weaker areas. Don't use outdated question banks. Just pay money for them. UWorld is the gold standard and I would save that for closer to your test date. Before then, do Rx and/or Kaplan. You should be doing questions every single day regarldess of how far out you are. Yeah they cost a lot, but failing step costs much more.