My tips for getting a 40+ score on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globalsurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've studied hard for the mcat and I took the exam on July 29, 2010. I have not gotten my scores back yet, so I am not sure exactly how I did, but I did increase my scores on the AAMC practice tests and got scores in the 40s days before my exam. I hope the tips I offer may help some of you who have upcoming exams achieve the highest scores that are awarded.

I study at UC Berkeley and have been doing very well in my classes. I care about the science, the logic, the concepts covered in my classes, and do well on exams, but I believe I have under-performed on some exams because I lack test saavy. For a month and a half, I studied to try to reverse this situation by develop the test-taking skills to match my understanding. These are my insights and my way of saying thanks to everyone who helped me prepare for this exam.

MCAT has 4 sections.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHYSICS/G.Chem:

The most important criteria for success on PS/Bio sections is to learn the material well. But honestly, this applies more to the PS section. Many questions on this section are logical; they seem difficult, sometimes very difficult, but ultimately the answer can be deduced using basic principles you learn in G. Chemistry or Physics. When you start this section, you have to believe in yourself. No matter how hard the questions seem, the answer can be discovered if you use your logic. So for this section, do not let difficult questions psyche you out. Do what you can do easily, MARK any hard, or confusing questions, even mark the ones that make you feel a bit uneasy. When you have gone through the entire section, go back and attack these again. Think about principles first, logic first, then try to apply concepts to the questions. On this second round, answer the ones that are easiest, and keep the most difficult questions for the third round.

Going through the hard questions several times makes me feel more confident about my answers. Once I've answered everything, I often reviewed all the questions I previously marked for reassurance, to pat myself on the back, and to feel confident.

As for the passages in this section, I think it is best to read the text at the pace you would read your physics textbook. This means DO NOT SKIM, DO NOT SKIP SECTIONS BECUASE THEY SEEM OBVIOUS...Read it all, and decide what is important after you have absorbed everything. Use the highlighter liberally, if it helps you understand. Use scratch paper to make any QUICK notes that will help you keep your facts straight(but only write EXACTLY what you need ; do not write more than you need). Really learn the concepts, then tackle the questions. I did this and the questions started to seem obvious.

For questions that are really out there, make some reasonable assumptions and do your best. Look at limiting/extreme scenarios; look at units. Sometimes, you may get a topic that you are not at all prepared for. For me, that topic was a very specific application of thermodynamics/work concept that I had difficulty learning. However, once I got through my initial confusion, I used logic, different scenarios, units and common sense to eliminate nearly all of the wrong answers.

And, for ALL questions, MAKE SURE that you read ALL the answer choices. If two choices are similar, try to figure out why they are different, and how a mistake in your calculation could have given the other answer.

To adequately prepare for PS, I suggest you get the KAPLAN GUIDE TO 45 from the library, flip to the PS section and look at the list of topics. First, make sure you know each topic on that list, and second, try to relate that concept to as many other concepts that you know. Try to learn that material on a deeper level, in more depth than you learned it in school. MCAT rewards deep understanding. Be devoted to the science, you may be rewarded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbal

The first time I took a practice test, AAMC 3, I got an 11. Eager to improve my score, I cracked open EK 101, EK Verbal, Kaplan books and started doing poorly. All of these sources try to teach strategy. They talk about using the answer stems, eliminating crazy answers. They also talk about ways to read the passage. Some people say you need to skim and look for organization, others say you need to read the passage once, and try to go back as few times as possible.

It's ridiculous. I followed these strategies, did over a hundred verbal passages and watched my score drift down to: 8, 9, 10, 9 on AAMC exams. It felt terrible. I tried to devise my own strategies, to visualize more, to read faster, to focus on adverbs...the list goes on. I tried a lot of different tricks, nothing worked. A week before my exam, my father sensed my frustration and asked me to try something.

He wanted me to read the passage carefully, at my own pace. He wanted me to highlight, and read like I normally read nonfiction. He told me to toss all the test-taking strategy away. I was skeptical, but I had nothing to lose. On the next AAMC exam I took, I got a 12. The one after that was a 13. The truth is, this was the strategy I used on AAMC 3(on which I got an 11). I read the passage and did my best. Staying ignorant of the test-taking philosophy was the best way for me to raise my score.

My advice, Don't Even Use the EK or the Kaplan or Princeton guides. First try reading the passage carefully. If you do this, the questions start to seem do able.

<side track: those of you who have taken AP lang know that you need to get something like 60-70% correct to get a high score = 5. On this exam, to get the high score you need to get nearly all 40 questions correct, so this means AAMC expects you to get them all right. The questions cannot, therefore, be that hard. This exam is doable, so don't let the questions get to your head>

When I was trying the EK/Kaplan methods, the questions seemed confusing. Once I started reading the passage and highlighting whatever seemed important to me, the questions started to seem obvious. The answers almost started to jump out at me. The wrong answers seem so obviously wrong. You have to try this. Also, do not feel like it is against the rules to go back to the text(like EK seems to tell you), to back as much as you want, as much as you need; do what you have to do.

Lastly, I don't think the passages in the other verbal books reflect the verbal passages on AAMC. AAMC passages are the best!!! Just practice on those. Also, if you are just starting studying, do AAMC 3; if you do poorly, wait a few days, then repeat the same exam(and keep doing it until you get a 13-15), then move onto the next AAMC and keep doing it. This way, you exams will last until you get to test day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essay:

I felt successful writing like this:

the prompt is something like "X always is Y", explain the statement, discuss a counter example, discuss when this is valid.

5 min planning
15 min writing
10 min editing/proofing

For the planning:
So the first thing you need to think about is the conclusion(the validity of the statement). Ask yourself when does X = Y and when does it not. What criteria are important for determing when x = y and when it is not y.

Then quickly type out ideas for the other two paragraphs: explain the meaning of the statement
Then quickly type out ideas for the counter case
Do not focus on spelling, and don't get caught up on grammer. This is RAW Brainstorming

For the WRITING:
quickly jot down sentences in a logical order to form 1st, 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. write fast, let the thoughts flow. Don't get caught up on grammer/spelling, but don't go crazy and ignore all rules of syntax either.

Editing:
Go through and edit fast. Add commas, periods, fix the phrasing, make it smooth, concise and powerful. Also check all blatant spelling mistakes.

The key: some websites post 100s of past MCAT essay topics. Go through 30, 40, 80 essay prompts just to practice the planning(the 5 min stage). Then, once you can plan ANYTHING, start writing/editing. The whole process should be solid after a couple rounds. Finally, when you do the essays on the practice AAMC exams, give a friend of yours a copy of your essay and the sample graded essay. Ask that friend to read both and tell you if you did better than the sample. If you buy all 8 AAMC exams, that's 16 real opportunities for comparison.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIO:

Studying for the bio was the most difficult for me. I have only taken upper-division classes in college. The last time I took a general bio course was in High School, 6 years ago. This means I understood enzyme kinetics and biochemistry very well, but knew very little about human physiology before I started preparing.

I think it is extremely important to read a good general bio book for background. I read all of the Human Physiology chapters of the Campbell bio book. I think it is also important to practice and learn all genetics concepts and about the cell cycle. If you like this stuff, you'll enjoy the studying process.

A good book about just human physiology, like an introductory med. school text might also be useful; I used a book like htis to learn about certain body systems in greater depth.

For OChem, I suggest you really learn well in school. It's hard to learn this stuff on your own. If you must, however, Start at the "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" series.

I don't have too many suggestions here. You just have to know your stuff. Learn as much as you can, and moreso than for physics, DETAILS COUNT, be studious.

Bottom line: don't follow the test-taking strategies for the verbal, and the essay sections. KAPLAN, EK and PR are no good.

For the sciences, take as many practice exams from 3rd parties as you can. You need to learn as much as possible and Kaplan, and PR are great. I think EK 1000 questions are not worth it. Some questions are written poorly and are ambigous, others are just plain confusing. When you take these exams, use a timer, and then review the ones that were confusing, BUT DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR STRATEGIES. THEY DID NOT WORK. THE BEST STRATEGY FOR READING THE PS/BIO PASSAGES, WAS THE SAME STRATEGY I USED FOR THE VERBAL SECTION. Read the text normally, like you would read a textbook, and highlight liberally when the concepts are difficult.

For the verbal, just do AAMC exams.

There are many ways to get 3rd party exams. The best way is legal: go to the library, get all the MCAT prep materials and study from them(but please don't write in the book because that's mean). There are other ways too, but I will not discuss them. Other people may share other ways of getting other properietary materials.

If you want the 40+ score, you have to buy all AAMC exams and practice with them. It's expensive-I know. It'll cost $35 for each exam, but remember, Med School is also expensive. If you want a chance to get a scholarship, or just want to get into the shcool of your dreams, paying $35 x 8 is a trivial. The more important thing you should think about is you time. To do well, you have to commit and you have to be determined to kill this exam.

Good luck,
RR

Members don't see this ad.

What would everyone here at SDN and MCAT takers nationwide do without your amazing guide? Thank you for this brilliant insight!!

Members don't see this ad :)
He studies at UC Berkeley and did well on his practice exams. How can we not take his advice?

OP had great intentions -- with poor execution.

you really should wait for your scores till you post a help and advice thread, posting a thread like this is like saying "when I was a doctor -- oh wait, yeah I'm not done with med school yet"

but do let us know how you scored, I'm sure you did great, good luck :thumbup:

Good advice. But there are sooo many who hit 40 on practice tests just to be surprised by their actual score that it's hard to believe until we know that it actually worked.

Make sure to update us on your score.

sticky this thread

:laugh:

Wow, why are some of you people on SDN such *** holes? Why can't you let it just go for once? He clearly has good intentions... why jump all over him for it? Stop being so anal and let it go for once. It seems like anytime someone tries to help out around here, someone else has to post a smart-*** comment. Thanks OP for the insight... anything helps, really. Appreciate the advice... best of luck with med school admissions.

Although he didn't receive his scores yet, but 40+ on practice exams are pretty legitimate to give out advices. Companies give students fasttrack to maximize their scores (just a few margins) in a shortest amount of time, the OP gives you a solid foundation if you want to crack through the exam. So it might not be practical and applicable to some, but it'll work wonderfully on others depending on individuals' goals. Good advices :thumbup:

It's okay if you haven't made it there yet, but can you give me advice on how to match into Plastics? What worked for you?

Pretentious: yes. But if s/he did well on the practice tests why not read a person's advice and then decide if it is useful for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of people get 40+ on practice tests. Doesn't mean the first thing you should do when you discover SDN is to sign up and make a thread about "how to get a 40+", without even getting 40+.

LOLOL @

"if you do poorly, wait a few days, then repeat the same exam(and keep doing it until you get a 13-15), then move onto the next AAMC and keep doing it. This way, you exams will last until you get to test day."

Oh, so if I want a 45 on the actual MCAT, I just need to keep retaking tests until I get a 45, then I'll post a thread on "how to get a 45" before I receive my scores.

ive been doing the same thing the OP mentioned about verbal, and i gotta say, he's right. i read through the passages at a normal pace and dont rush myself. and i highlight whatever i feel is important (usually the topic sentences and minor details here and there). after doing some passages, it starts to feel intuitive as to what type of details you should highlight which will be directly asked about by the questions. and because you havent rushed through the reading, you recall a lot more, so you actually have to go back to the passage less. it really works

You definitely raise some good points. However, you should have waited for your score (esp. with your title choice). However, just because you got 40s on your practice tests, does not mean that you will get a 40 on the real thing. True, it is probable, but the correlation ends there. That being said, I hope you come back once your grade has been posted and rub it in all of our faces. But until then...

Last edited:
i don't think there is one verbal strategy that works for everyone.

i just read the passage and answer the questions. at first i was getting like... 7-8 on verbal.

but later i started getting 10-11 on verbal. the only difference was that i started to recognize what wrong answers looked like. and why some answers that seem right are actually wrong and that eliminates a lot (but not all) of those 50/50 questions where you are stuck between two because they both seem right.

Not going to predict what I got on the actual MCAT though. It was so painful that I don't even remember the verbal section and I just look it last week.

Good advice. But there are sooo many who hit 40 on practice tests just to be surprised by their actual score that it's hard to believe until we know that it actually worked.

Agreed. I rather follow 40+ advices from people like LIS.

OP has some good points... However, there are several serious flaws as others mentioned. This is internet, and it has been provided by past precedents of trolls that there are some people who register on SDN just to state fake MCAT scores (don't ask me why they do it instead of doing something productive). This is OP's first and the only post, so it is natural that we cast a doubt at him.

I'm OK with the pretentious title. It's not the first time I've seen it around here anyway. The really brilliant people I've observed here are usually the very modest ones.

The OP's intentions were no doubt good.

With that said, looking at this objectively, it isn't a very good guide. Plus the guide is called, "how to get a 40", which causes me to be more critical than a title like, "advice to perform better on the MCAT."

Basically someone has come out and said, "How to score in the top 0.1% of all test takers on the MCAT." What if a rookie NFL quarterback wrote a book or DVD series titled, "How to be a 3 time MVP quarterback"?

Wow, why are some of you people on SDN such *** holes? Why can't you let it just go for once? He clearly has good intentions... why jump all over him for it? Stop being so anal and let it go for once. It seems like anytime someone tries to help out around here, someone else has to post a smart-*** comment. Thanks OP for the insight... anything helps, really. Appreciate the advice... best of luck with med school admissions.
The thing you miss is what I stated above. Even if done with consideration, advising people on how be in the top 0.1% in pretty arrogant and therefore the advice will be read with very high expectations. You have to back up your talk and this advice is so banal and trite.

F*** good intentions.

You know if I ever see someone choking in the street, instead of performing backblows and abdominal thrusts, I think I'll do a tracheotomy with a ball point pen (procedure not really indicated). As long as my intentions are in the right place it's ok. Won't even be frowned upon :D

The OP's intentions were no doubt good.

With that said, looking at this objectively, it isn't a very good guide. Plus the guide is called, "how to get a 40", which causes me to be more critical than a title like, "advice to perform better on the MCAT."

Basically someone has come out and said, "How to score in the top 0.1% of all test takers on the MCAT." What if a rookie NFL quarterback wrote a book or DVD series titled, "How to be a 3 time MVP quarterback"?

The thing you miss is what I stated above. Even if done with consideration, advising people on how be in the top 0.1% in pretty arrogant and therefore the advice will be read with very high expectations. You have to back up your talk and this advice is so banal and trite.

QFT

LOLOL @

"if you do poorly, wait a few days, then repeat the same exam(and keep doing it until you get a 13-15), then move onto the next AAMC and keep doing it. This way, you exams will last until you get to test day."

Oh, so if I want a 45 on the actual MCAT, I just need to keep retaking tests until I get a 45, then I'll post a thread on "how to get a 45" before I receive my scores.

QFT

If you retake a practice exam you will naturally get 15's in each section. When you take a new practice exam however, your scores may drop to where they truly reflect your abilities

Last edited:
I guess this means I can write a "How to get a 30+ on your MCAT" post now. But please don't troll me for not taking my test until 9/9/10. I promise I'll get a 30+

I think he was trying to prove a point through sarcasm. Lighten up there, Don.

Awesome advice. I just started looking at the books and I noticed Princeton suggested that you waste time looking and ranking passages as well as had a few other poor strategies for reading. Great Advice! :thumbup:
:)

The problem with SDN in general is that everyone's trying to increase the size of their e-peen and, thus, they dish out advice like crazy when they really have no idea what's going. That and they're too arrogant to recognize that their success is not due entirely to their hard work (i.e., I don't care what anyone says, there's a respectable amount of luck that goes into this entire process, from undergrad grades to ultimate acceptances).

Like silverfalcon mentioned, it's usually the people who don't gloat and start ridiculous advice threads that can actually be the most helpful.

I am interested in knowing how the OP did, though.

5 minutes planning
15 minutes writing
10 minutes editing

Yikes, I spent the entire half an hour writing, and still don't feel like I covered all my bases. I did stop for a few 15-30 second time periods to think and spent about 45 seconds rewriting missteps but in the end I had two 600 ~word essays. In the first I had to explicitly state what I took the prompt as because I didn't have time to work it in.

Edit: I got a 34S so I did pretty well in the writing section

Last edited:
Shouldn't have taken you that long to figure out the verbal "strategies" are gimmicks/mostly useless.

So....as trollish as this poster sounds...on my last two practice exams I've actually gone ahead and said "What the heck, I'll give it a whirl." I did zero passage mapping and just read the passage, highlighting liberally and making a note or two if something that felt important. In the last two days I've gone from a 29 to a 32 to a 35. Now, correlation does not imply causation, of course, but I've always had the suspicion that passage mapping was bogging me down.