My unique situation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbwkobe8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a microbiology major in my final quarter of junior year. I am currently involved in a Hospital Volunteer Program and have not yet done any research.

I am thinking of taking the MCAT this August, and then applying to med school June of my senior year (next year).

The reason I want to do this is because I didn't start taking pre-med classes until sophomore year, and as of now, I have a 3.44 gpa (cumulative). I'm thinking I study for the MCAT this summer and then use my senior year to get my cumulative gpa up to ~3.6, as well as raise my science gpa. This also would also allow me to finish my Hospital Volunteer Program, get involved in research, and milk my professors for letter of recs.

What are the pros/cons of applying this way? I hear people say, "Apply when you're best qualified", but are there any disadvantages doing it this way other than sitting around for a year after graduation? Do med schools look at an applicant such as this in different light?

Thanks,

P.S. Sorry if a thread exactly like this has been posted. I tried searching but couldn't find anything similar enough to my situation to be satisfied.

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan is excellent and will result in a much stronger application. You will not be looked down on by adcomms even the smallest bit. Instead of thinking of it as "sitting around for a year" look at it as a year to gain a new experience, relax after graduating, time to work and put some money in the bank, travel, be with friends and family, because you won't be able to do these things again for a long time. You'll be completely rechatrged and ready to dive into med school studies, rather than burned out from four years of college.

Adcoms will look down on you if you don't do anything "other than sitting around for a year after graduation?"

You should apply when you are ready; however, you should be engaged until you enroll. Those that I know who sat around on their parents dime prepping for the mcat and taking a class or two... not much luck. If you are going to take a year off, you should be a full time student (4 classes/semester) or have a full time job. Some secondaries specifically ask "if you won't be in school, account for your full time activities." If you get by to interviews, you'll get blown out of the water by people doing really cool and interesting stuff in their time off from classes.

How well you will do in applications can not be predicted here, but I agree with others that the year off should help provided you do something with it.