My very disappointing DAT breakdown (mistakes to avoid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htorres89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took the DAT and sadly I am very disappointed with my scores. I felt so defeated after I left the testing center.Luckily for many of the people who benefit from reading this message, I am not scared to post this or ashamed of what people may think. This could maybe help the student who has struggled with the DAT and have not received the many wonderful scores you see on here. Not too often you see bad scores on here so here it goes:

Bio: 18 GC: 17 OC:15 QR:12 RC:15 PAT:17 TS:17 AA:15 +pity+

A little about myself
I studied for a long time with this test(more than the avg 3-4 months you see) and I had many days where it was common to put in 8-12 hours a day. I am a firm believer(still am) that if you put in the work, you will get the scores you want. Sadly, my scores do not reflect that, even though I have a 3.7 GPA. If I could have avoided these mistakes I am about to explain, I think my scores would have been a lot higher!!

My sources
The products I used were DAT Destroyer, DAT Genius, Qvault, Chads Videos/quizzes, and DAT Bootcamp. A lot of students mentioned on here if you take DAT Bootcamp/Genius and know them, you will be good to go....so they said

Reflection(What I learned during/after the exam)
1. Get rest during the week of the exam. I was killing myself waking up at like 6AM and going to bed at almost midnight. I could definitely feel the exhaustion while I was taking the exam. Also, I know it's hard to do because of how stressed you maybe, but try to take the day off before your exam. No, seriously, that was one of my first thoughts while taking the exam. It will help your mind tremendously. Your brain won't feel so foggy.

2. DO NOT rely so heavily on these time testing sources, especially Bootcamp! You would think sometimes by the stuff you read on SDN that if you were to complete Bootcamp/Qvault Bio/etc , and get a score close to your goal, that you will be good to go! Wrong! Although these tests may expand your knowledge on what you might see on the exam, I don't believe you should just rely on these. Try to UNDERSTAND as much as possible, not memorize the solutions or problems. When you see something that you feel you understand about 60% or 75%....make sure you take the necessary steps to make sure you understand it 100%! The worst thing you can see on the DAT is a question you have seen so many damn times, but your mind was foggy enough to not answer it correctly or you forget how to you should answer that particular question. I HATE THIS!!! :mad: It could have been easy points in the bag for you if you just focused on it more.

3. I don't think your practice scores on some of these testing sources are as accurate of a score predictor as some people claim to be. I scored lower on my actual exam than I did on some of my practice tests. I probably should have taken the DAT 2009 test to get a real feel for what kind of scores I would receive. Oh well, it is what it is.

4. Do not wait till the last minute to focus on QR!! Trust me. This score can really bring down your AA score if you don't practice this. The problems are not impossible to do, in fact, a lot are really simple. However, if you don't practice the problems, and you become stressed or tired while coming to this section(pretty normal if you ask me), it's easy to forget how to do some of these problems and your mind goes blank. +pissed+

5. Come to the RC section with a game plan. I read a lot on SDN that if you just do "Search and Destroy" you will be good to go. I still highly recommend you come in there with a strategy and that you PRACTICE. Otherwise, I will tell you what is going to happen. When you see the clock ticking, and you spent about 10 min so far, and you only answered about 1 or 2 questions, you will start to panic....quick. Especially when you have about 15-18 more questions left before you go on to the next passage. Try to practice. Even if you get discourage from your results from practice tests. Btw, I was scoring 18/19 in DAT Genius(took it about a month before my exam) and I got a 15 on mine. Maybe it's because I didn't practice enough, or maybe it's because I didn't come up with a game plan or practice close enough to the exam date.

6. I would have focused on using Destroyer more for all the other sections. I think my Orgo score would have definitely gone up, as well as the other sections. I did the Bio section a few days before and it saved me!! I must have saw like 3-4 questions from the Destroyer alone on my Bio section. I wish I would used it for the Orgo section and touched up on GC a little more. Also, as much as I wanted to throw this book across the table every time, I would have used the Math Destroyer more too.

7. I am sure this is a given, but practice in PAT and get in the habit of making it like a chore to do. That 15 min here, or 10 min there, will add up a lot over time if you can do that daily.

8. Make sure you focus on your time! It will fly by like crazy and before you know it, you will have a lot of questions left to answer in a short amount of time. I had to guess on like 5 or 6 questions on my science section I just randomly marked because I underestimated my ability to get through them with the time I was given.

9. Double check the answers you put to your question before you move on to the next one. It is easy to accidentally select the wrong answer choice. It is also easy to make stupid mistakes and be completely unaware because of how confident you were in answering that question. The absolutely weirdest thing for me on this exam was how I finished the GC section thinking I got a 22 or higher and how I thought the questions were so easy to answer. Seriously, I was thinking "they really just decided to throw me that joke of a question on there?" Well clearly, I either made a lot of mistakes or didn't know how to solve the problem since I got a freaking 17 on that section! :punch::rage:

Final Thoughts
I know it seems as if everyone here on SDN has a 20-25 score in the DAT. I mean, it is easy to think that if that is all you see in here....but it's not true at all. The average is definitely below that. Even students with a high GPA can get their ass kicked on this exam. Try to understand(not memorize) everything you can.

With that being said....CHANCE ME!! What are my chances of getting into dental school?! :luck:

Jk, I know I don't have a shot at all applying with these scores. I posted this breakdown to help those who are not getting the amazing scores on this site to let you know, you are definitely not alone. Believe it or not, you can still post a breakdown, even if you don't have stellar scores. It can still help people out by helping them avoid some of the mistakes you made. So with that being said, post your crappy scores my people! Just suck it up Post them!! No one really knows who you are here on SDN anyways so don't be afraid to post your failures and openly talk about them.

Sorry for any typo,grammar mistakes....wrote this in a rush. :laugh:

See you on the next breakdown!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 users
Amazing breakdown. What you have written there will prove invaluable to current and future applicants. In my opinion this is far more helpful than those large AA scores.
Thank you for your honesty, not many would have decided to post a breakdown for the unique purpose to help others as you have done.

Reactions: 15 users
1. Understand that you have a DAT score and now you know where you need to improve. Kudos to you for composing a wonderful breakdown for others in your same situation.

2.You are correct in saying that understanding is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than memorization. You can memorize every formula known to man, but if you can’t apply it then what do you really know?

3. Remember that these questions are pure luck. I studied for hours on certain subjects DAYS EVEN… just to find not one question regarding those subjects anywhere. ANYWHERE!!!

To add to your final thoughts…
Yes, it does seem like everyone on SDN scores high on the DAT, but you also have to remember what the average matriculant scores are. They are just in fact that… the average. If you look at the ADEA guide you’ll be even more shocked at the scoring ranges that are reported. Not everyone scores that high.

Don’t get discouraged, just make the adjustments you need to and knock the DAT out of the park next time. I know you can do it!

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like you know your material, it sounds like a case of test anxiety (we all get it). Good luck on your next DAT! You'll do great now that you know what to expect.

For the science section, I read every answer choice and used the cross-out feature (for wrong statements) to double check my answers. I only had 15 min to go over marked, but it's extra assurance that I gave the other my best bet via process of elimination.

Totes agree with those who neglect QR (brought my AA down).

I also recommend taking the full 30 min break, and look at formulas for math and create a cheatsheet. Refresh your mind for the RC portion. The test also is about endurance!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
resources.jpg

Very good, and honest post :)

Reactions: 4 users
You mentioned you didn't use the destroyer as much. My advice is to do it religiously the second time around.

Don't give up! With a 3.7 gpa, this was definitely a fluke.

I agree with juandhy that your breakdown is much more invaluable than those higher scores.

My strategy was just opposite to yours. I roughly went over the material once, and started timed practice tests without knowing all the material. cus I know myself, I can't take in knowledge efficiently by only sitting there reading, I would get distracted withins 20 minutes. Timed practice is the only way make myself focus.

Anyway, good luck for your next dat! I am sure you will improve a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I think you bring up some very good points and that you are very brave to post these scores.
When you study, I don't think your goal is to get the correct answer but find the process of reaching the correct answer.
For example, if you understand the process, and understand how to answer one question in multiple directions, you will be able to answer multiple questions worded in different ways.
Try to find how one question can be asked from multiple directions and I believe this is will benefit you greatly.

Thanks for scaring me ...

In all seriousness , I really appreciate you sharing you experience !

Kill it bud

Thank you for this, sharing your mistakes to try to help other people not to make the same! However, do you think studying to long also hinders performance?

Thank you for sharing your experience. I truly admire your honesty and bravery for posting this!

Your breakdown also terrifies me for what's to come :(

Keep your head up! You now know where you went wrong and you will be ready to kill it next time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for writing this breakdown. All those insane 27AA breakdowns have been making me nervous as hell. I was having a bit of a freak out and crying the other night to my fiance "if I go in next week and get below a 20 it's because I'm stupid!" Well, you've proven that very wrong :) you have a much higher GPA than I do and you just unfortunately got a case of test anxiety. It can happen to the best of us. I wish you the best of luck on your next attempt, and I'm confident you'll kill it since you are able to identify your mistakes this round! Thank you again!

Seems like you know your material, it sounds like a case of test anxiety (we all get it). Good luck on your next DAT! You'll do great now that you know what to expect.

For the science section, I read every answer choice and used the cross-out feature (for wrong statements) to double check my answers. I only had 15 min to go over marked, but it's extra assurance that I gave the other my best bet via process of elimination.

Totes agree with those who neglect QR (brought my AA down).

I also recommend taking the full 30 min break, and look at formulas for math and create a cheatsheet. Refresh your mind for the RC portion. The test also is about endurance!

Thanks for your response! Yeah looking back at it, I think you're right. Test anxiety really did take a hold of me. That cross out feature is awesome btw! It is really convenient. When I was running how of time and I had to mark a question and move on, it was so easy to narrow it down to 2/3 answers when I came back to it because I already crossed a few choices.

1. Understand that you have a DAT score and now you know where you need to improve. Kudos to you for composing a wonderful breakdown for others in your same situation.

2.You are correct in saying that understanding is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than memorization. You can memorize every formula known to man, but if you can’t apply it then what do you really know?

3. Remember that these questions are pure luck. I studied for hours on certain subjects DAYS EVEN… just to find not one question regarding those subjects anywhere. ANYWHERE!!!

To add to your final thoughts…
Yes, it does seem like everyone on SDN scores high on the DAT, but you also have to remember what the average matriculant scores are. They are just in fact that… the average. If you look at the ADEA guide you’ll be even more shocked at the scoring ranges that are reported. Not everyone scores that high.

Don’t get discouraged, just make the adjustments you need to and knock the DAT out of the park next time. I know you can do it!

Good luck!

Thanks!! appreciate it! Happy to see agree with me on this.

You mentioned you didn't use the destroyer as much. My advice is to do it religiously the second time around.

Don't give up! With a 3.7 gpa, this was definitely a fluke.

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely do that next time around! I plan on covering all subjects multiple times until I know how to do every single question without looking back at the solutions.

I agree with juandhy that your breakdown is much more invaluable than those higher scores.

My strategy was just opposite to yours. I roughly went over the material once, and started timed practice tests without knowing all the material. cus I know myself, I can't take in knowledge efficiently by only sitting there reading, I would get distracted withins 20 minutes. Timed practice is the only way make myself focus.

Anyway, good luck for your next dat! I am sure you will improve a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you!!! :)

I think you bring up some very good points and that you are very brave to post these scores.
When you study, I don't think your goal is to get the correct answer but find the process of reaching the correct answer.
For example, if you understand the process, and understand how to answer one question in multiple directions, you will be able to answer multiple questions worded in different ways.
Try to find how one question can be asked from multiple directions and I believe this is will benefit you greatly.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that. And thanks for the tip. I think that sounds like a great idea. I'll use that method next time.

What were your bootcamp scores, and why do you think there was such a discrepancy between your scores and your practice ones? You are definitely smart, so there has to be some huge error here for you to score like this!

Why thank you!! My math and reading scores were crappy so I would say the alligned well w my test. However, with DAT Genius, I was consistently scoring 18/19's on the reading. Looking back I think I started to panic on reading and it went downhill from there. Don't let a few questions psych your mind out from scoring well on that section.

Bio: very random(like what everyone said). It is really the luck of the draw with that section. I had a question on bones about the lacunae and what is on the inside/outside of it. I didn't think a question about bones would appear on there....sure enough it did. Also I had like 2 questions from the very first chapter(on chemistry) from Cliffs on there. Didn't think I was actually going to see chemistry questions on the bio section...sure enough I did. I will say I saw like 2 questions from Bootcamp from the Bio section. Point I am trying to make is when they say study any and everything....you damn well should!

Gen Chem: Very basic and simple. A LOT easier than BC!! I am still shocked I did so poorly in that section.

Orgo: That was similar to the tests. I just focused on memorizing the reactions from roadmaps the last 2 weeks bc I was running out of time had other sections to cover ....bad idea.

I still can not tell you why there was such a discrepancy. But having the right mind set, being calm, not nervous is a good factor in that.

I will post my scores in a sec.

Thanks for scaring me ...

In all seriousness , I really appreciate you sharing you experience !

Kill it bud

If I can help some people out it was totally worth it posting this up. Thanks!

Last edited:
Whatever resource you use, make sure to understand every single question. Go through the Destroyer multiple times if you have time, understand every question and make notes on every concept that raised a "?" in your head. If you master the sciences, at least for those sections, you really shouldn't run out of time. Just lock yourself in the basement for a couple of months and... repetition repetition repetition. You absolutely can beat this test if you put in the work.

Thank you for this, sharing your mistakes to try to help other people not to make the same! However, do you think studying to long also hinders performance?

Looking back at it....yes I would agree so. I was not getting the scores I wanted so I constantly was pushing it back, then back again, until I said no more. I thought maybe it's just best if I take the actual test(even if I did poorly on it) that way I can truly know my weaknesses and how I can improve. Looking back, I think that has helped me out. While I was taking the exam, I remember thinking "Man I wish I would have studied for this section a lot differently"

When you take too long....since there is just so much material... I think it will hinder your performance. For one, you will get burned out/sluggish with your studying and wont be as efficient as you were earlier. Secondly, you will definitely start to forget somethings. I am not even speaking just on the complicated things(although that too) but the simple stuff that you definitely knew while you were studying.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I truly admire your honesty and bravery for posting this!

Your breakdown also terrifies me for what's to come :(

Thanks. I can't lie, I was a little hesitant about posting this at first, but I also knew I just couldn't be the only one that experienced this hell too lol Thought it could help others out as well. I was terrified, but it is just going to be one of the many difficult tests we have ahead of us. Just have to learn how to adapt. A doctor once told me the MCAT/DAT....are all about perseverance. How can you bounce back, adjust to a difficult situation. Those are the students med/dental schools want. This type of exam is designed to weed them out. Just keep chopping that wood, be cautious of what is working/not working, figure out how you will learn the material(don't just convince yourself you learned it when you really kinda learned it).

Whatever resource you use, make sure to understand every single question. Go through the Destroyer multiple times if you have time, understand every question and make notes on every concept that raised a "?" in your head. If you master the sciences, at least for those sections, you really shouldn't run out of time. Just lock yourself in the basement for a couple of months and... repetition repetition repetition. You absolutely can beat this test if you put in the work.

Hey good advice! Thanks. I appreciate it. I will definitely do that this time around. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you so much for writing this breakdown. All those insane 27AA breakdowns have been making me nervous as hell. I was having a bit of a freak out and crying the other night to my fiance "if I go in next week and get below a 20 it's because I'm stupid!" Well, you've proven that very wrong :) you have a much higher GPA than I do and you just unfortunately got a case of test anxiety. It can happen to the best of us. I wish you the best of luck on your next attempt, and I'm confident you'll kill it since you are able to identify your mistakes this round! Thank you again!

I am very happy you saw this then. Glad I could at least settle your nerves for bit. I agree with you, I think test anxiety played a pivotal role in my scores. I wish you luck on your exam as well. And no, you are definitely not stupid if you get below a 20. People have to think, if the avg score to get into dental school is a 19/20+, there is no way in hell that it could be the average score for all test takers. Just doesn't make sense from an admissions standpoint. Look forward to maybe seeing a breakdown/message from you. Curious how it went. Good luck as well!!

So I just took the DAT and sadly I am very disappointed with my scores. I felt so defeated after I left the testing center.Luckily for many of the people who benefit from reading this message, I am not scared to post this or ashamed of what people may think. This could maybe help the student who has struggled with the DAT and have not received the many wonderful scores you see on here. Not too often you see bad scores on here so here it goes:

A little about myself
I studied for a long time with this test(more than the avg 3-4 months you see) and I had many days where it was common to put in 8-12 hours a day. I am a firm believer(still am) that if you put in the work, you will get the scores you want. Sadly, my scores do not reflect that, even though I have a 3.7 GPA. If I could have avoided these mistakes I am about to explain, I think my scores would have been a lot higher!!

My sources
The products I used were DAT Destroyer, DAT Genius, Qvault, Chads Videos/quizzes, and DAT Bootcamp. A lot of students mentioned on here if you take DAT Bootcamp/Genius and know them, you will be good to go....so they said

1. Get rest during the week of the exam. I was killing myself waking up at like 6AM and going to bed at almost midnight. I could definitely feel the exhaustion while I was taking the exam. Also, I know it's hard to do because of how stressed you maybe, but try to take the day off before your exam. No, seriously, that was one of my first thoughts while taking the exam. It will help your mind tremendously. Your brain won't feel so foggy.

2. DO NOT rely so heavily on these time testing sources, especially Bootcamp! You would think sometimes by the stuff you read on SDN that if you were to complete Bootcamp/Qvault Bio/etc , and get a score close to your goal, that you will be good to go! Wrong! Although these tests may expand your knowledge on what you might see on the exam, I don't believe you should just rely on these. Try to UNDERSTAND as much as possible, not memorize the solutions or problems. When you see something that you feel you understand about 60% or 75%....make sure you take the necessary steps to make sure you understand it 100%! The worst thing you can see on the DAT is a question you have seen so many damn times, but your mind was foggy enough to not answer it correctly or you forget how to you should answer that particular question. I HATE THIS!!! :mad: It could have been easy points in the bag for you if you just focused on it more.

3. I don't think your practice scores on some of these testing sources are as accurate of a score predictor as some people claim to be. I scored lower on my actual exam than I did on some of my practice tests. I probably should have taken the DAT 2009 test to get a real feel for what kind of scores I would receive. Oh well, it is what it is.

4. Do not wait till the last minute to focus on QR!! Trust me. This score can really bring down your AA score if you don't practice this. The problems are not impossible to do, in fact, a lot are really simple. However, if you don't practice the problems, and you become stressed or tired while coming to this section(pretty normal if you ask me), it's easy to forget how to do some of these problems and your mind goes blank. +pissed+

5. Come to the RC section with a game plan. I read a lot on SDN that if you just do "Search and Destroy" you will be good to go. I still highly recommend you come in there with a strategy and that you PRACTICE. Otherwise, I will tell you what is going to happen. When you see the clock ticking, and you spent about 10 min so far, and you only answered about 1 or 2 questions, you will start to panic....quick. Especially when you have about 15-18 more questions left before you go on to the next passage. Try to practice. Even if you get discourage from your results from practice tests. Btw, I was scoring 18/19 in DAT Genius(took it about a month before my exam) and I got a 15 on mine. Maybe it's because I didn't practice enough, or maybe it's because I didn't come up with a game plan or practice close enough to the exam date.

6. I would have focused on using Destroyer more for all the other sections. I think my Orgo score would have definitely gone up, as well as the other sections. I did the Bio section a few days before and it saved me!! I must have saw like 3-4 questions from the Destroyer alone on my Bio section. I wish I would used it for the Orgo section and touched up on GC a little more. Also, as much as I wanted to throw this book across the table every time, I would have used the Math Destroyer more too.

7. I am sure this is a given, but practice in PAT and get in the habit of making it like a chore to do. That 15 min here, or 10 min there, will add up a lot over time if you can do that daily.

8. Make sure you focus on your time! It will fly by like crazy and before you know it, you will have a lot of questions left to answer in a short amount of time. I had to guess on like 5 or 6 questions on my science section I just randomly marked because I underestimated my ability to get through them with the time I was given.

9. Double check the answers you put to your question before you move on to the next one. It is easy to accidentally select the wrong answer choice. It is also easy to make stupid mistakes and be completely unaware because of how confident you were in answering that question. The absolutely weirdest thing for me on this exam was how I finished the GC section thinking I got a 22 or higher and how I thought the questions were so easy to answer. Seriously, I was thinking "they really just decided to throw me that joke of a question on there?" Well clearly, I either made a lot of mistakes or didn't know how to solve the problem since I got a freaking 17 on that section! :punch::rage:

Final Thoughts
I know it seems as if everyone here on SDN has a 20-25 score in the DAT. I mean, it is easy to think that if that is all you see in here....but it's not true at all. The average is definitely below that. Even students with a high GPA can get their ass kicked on this exam. Try to understand(not memorize) everything you can.

With that being said....CHANCE ME!! What are my chances of getting into dental school?! :luck:

Jk, I know I don't have a shot at all applying with these scores. I posted this breakdown to help those who are not getting the amazing scores on this site to let you know, you are definitely not alone. Believe it or not, you can still post a breakdown, even if you don't have stellar scores. It can still help people out by helping them avoid some of the mistakes you made. So with that being said, post your crappy scores my people! Just suck it up Post them!! No one really knows who you are here on SDN anyways so don't be afraid to post your failures and openly talk about them.

Thanks for the breakdown man. This is more helpful very helpful. Good luck to you for the next DAT. I am sure you will kill it.

Thanks for the breakdown, it takes a lot of courage to post a breakdown when you did not do as well as you may have wished. I'm glad to see that you are staying positive! Keep up the good spirits, focus on your weak points and crush it on your next go-around. I'm taking mine on Monday and I am very overwhelmed because it seems like everyone on here is scoring 21+. Btw, could you post up your Bootcamp scores to compare it to your actual DAT scores?

Reading this actually helps me as I'm going to be retaking it in 5 days. I have gone through destroyer twice this time and am focusing more on understanding the material than the first time. I still despite PAT and suck at it; DAT Genius tutorials have helped me get slightly better this time around I suppose. What happened in math!!? I don't want to sound mean but I just don't understand how people can get under 17-18 in math :(. (Ik this will sound like bragging maybe it is but I didn't even do that well in math anyway). The math is kinda basic it's just a test of speed and forces you to not rely too heavily on the calculator. Any time I do a practice math whether it be math destroyer or anything else i'll get a minimum of 35/40 and finish with 9-15 min left... I'm yet to hit that 40/40 though so I guess i'm not that good yet xD. Feel free to ask me for anything math related if you want though!! I guess I'm just here to calm my nerves although sometimes this website has the opposite effect. I'm just feeling nutty hahaha. I agree with you when you say don't use S+D on reading. I like numbering paragraphs and writing down key words/names/parts of quotes etc.

Hey there this post is awesome. I find your post very relatable as this was my exact situation a few months ago when I first took my dat. I was wondering if you had retaken it since and had your marks improved ? I obtained the same test scores and I plan to retake it in November.

A little about myself

My sources

Final Thoughts

I know this is an old thread but would love to hear your retake story. This post is very relatable and I’m going through something similar and have to retake