SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

My worst shelf yet :(

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by ocean11, May 14, 2007.

1. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Man this definetly has not been my month! I just found out my cra**y surgery shelf grade: a whopping 63 raw score. My lowest EVER on a med school shelf. IT seems as if my shelf scores have DECREASED over the year. I did amazing on psych--> dropped on OB/GYN and Neuro but still managed to do well and above average. ER/FM no shelf but we had school exams, did alright on those.... and I actually studied more or a less for surg.... and I get a 63?!?!? I just don't understand where I went wrong... will call school to double check tomorrow.... man! I can't screw up my medicine shelf in another month! this is definetly a wake up call..... arghghghggh

anyhow, else do bad on surg shelf?!?

Well at least I passed, here's hoping for a B :luck:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kito

kito Big Evil 10+ Year Member

May 13, 2002
    deep within
    Its okay you're allowed a couple of bad days. I kicked the pooch on OB this year, where I ended up with my worst shelf raw score by 5 questions, and worst percentile by more than 30 points. You can't try to explain it or even understand because sometimes it feels like it just wasn't meant to be. I say just move on and keep your eye on internal medicine, and try to be persistent in your learning instead of trying to overwhelm yourself at the end.

4. arthrodisiac

arthrodisiac 2+ Year Member

Jan 3, 2007
    i did about the same on the surg shelf, i got killed, it was my first shelf. i knew i bombed it while i was taking it...might as well have been the advanced placement exam for mandarin chinese. did well on everything else tho...i feel bad it was my first shelf.

5. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet Physician 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2006
    FEMA Camp, USA
    Surg shelf is tough if you havent had medicine first, don't be so hard on yourself . . .

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I dont think it will ruin your chances at a good residency. Unless you were se on surgery.

Learn from it, put it behind you and move on. :thumbup:

7. sleepymed

sleepymed The white Hard24Get 7+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2005
    I just finished my surgery shelf and I thought it was terrible. I feel absolutely horrible about it, I hadn't slept well the night and I missed stupid careless mistakes, PLENTY of them. I'm so angry with myself. grr..