My Zero Grade Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The zero I received for being late ended up hurting me a little. They gave me the minimum passing grade of 77, which is a C. It was just enough to keep me off of the Deans List. (Semester GPA 3.37)

I'm happy that they decided to pass me and I've learned my lesson about being late. I now leave for school 2 hours before class begins.

Members don't see this ad.

That was a harsh and completely unnecessary "lesson" you learned. (I did note your sarcasm.) I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Your past performance should have been taken into account.

Anyways, I'm glad that you at least don't have to retake the class. :)

I went to my kinetics class 2 times this semester and still got a "B". If you can get the material without going to class, they should not punish you. YOU are paying THEM. You should be able to use their service as you please. Whoever made that call is an idiot and obsessed with power.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad it worked out for you even though it wasn't that fair. I also had to learn a lesson like this, this semester. I accidentally bubbled in Form B instead of Form A on a pharmacology exam. Any other professor would have just regraded it but this professor didn't. I also didn't know what he was going to do for a month and then he told me right before the final that I would lose 10 points on that exam. That was the difference between a C+ and a B but at least I passed. It was a hard lesson to learn, although I still dont' know why I was stupid enough to make that mistake in the first place.

I this HARD #SS Professorship a thing of UF or what?
Personally I feel that after all the driving that dgrloux had to do, and only getting there late once, she does not deserve all the hassle.
DGRLOUX, I am glad it did not cost you having to repeat the course, but those professors really need help taking out whaterver they got stuck up there.

That bites.. we had a professor who would take off a lot of points if we took the exam in the wrong room (our class would be divided randomly between two rooms for exam days). He would even trick us when it came to looking up the room we were supposed to be in. On this excel sheet we would have to type in our social security number WITH dashes and it would show you the room you had to report to for exam day - but if you forgot to type in the dashes it would tell you to go to the other room. So, a lot of people did not put dashes and ended up going to the wrong room... can you imagine the mess we had..

Trancelucent1 said:
Glad it worked out for you even though it wasn't that fair. I also had to learn a lesson like this, this semester. I accidentally bubbled in Form B instead of Form A on a pharmacology exam. Any other professor would have just regraded it but this professor didn't. I also didn't know what he was going to do for a month and then he told me right before the final that I would lose 10 points on that exam. That was the difference between a C+ and a B but at least I passed. It was a hard lesson to learn, although I still dont' know why I was stupid enough to make that mistake in the first place.

That happened to a student in my class, last year. Same class, same professor. If you don't follow directions to the T, they crucify you. He also passed, but was pretty pissed off.

You will learn to truly hate UF by this time next year.

WVUPharm2007 said:
I went to my kinetics class 2 times this semester and still got a "B". If you can get the material without going to class, they should not punish you. YOU are paying THEM. You should be able to use their service as you please. Whoever made that call is an idiot and obsessed with power.

I totally agree with that

WVUPharm2007 said:

It's a performance class. You are called on and videotaped. The list is randomized and you are expected to be there and ready each day. They even start the class every day with a quiz in the first five minutes to make sure you are there and prepared. Lots of people were late during the semester and had to take zeroes for their quizzes. I was called on to perform for Verbal Defense and wasn't there, so I took a zero for my performance grade. Verbal Defense was 1/4 of our grade. Also, if you are called on and not there, they subtract 5 percentage points off of your final grade. Because of that, I could not make a passing grade in the class. I normally make all A's and B's, so they gave me the benefit of the doubt and passed me. If I was a poor student, the outcome would have been different.

Wow, well at least this is behind you now, and you're able to move on! Try not to let it jade you.

ilovepharmacy said:
.... On this excel sheet we would have to type in our social security number WITH ...

Two things ILP. Is this a distributed spreadsheet or on a public computer? Were there explicit instructions? I'm not really into derailing this thread, so PM me if you don't mind, I'm just curious (maybe morbidly).

KUMoose said:
Two things ILP. Is this a distributed spreadsheet or on a public computer? Were there explicit instructions? I'm not really into derailing this thread, so PM me if you don't mind, I'm just curious (maybe morbidly).

No, post it here. I'm curious, too.

I think that schools put us under a lot of stress then test our attention to detail on purpose. It's better to make a mistake in school, than to make a mistake with someone's medication.

dgroulx said:
That happened to a student in my class, last year. Same class, same professor. If you don't follow directions to the T, they crucify you. He also passed, but was pretty pissed off.

You will learn to truly hate UF by this time next year.

pissant petty tyrants. Godloveem, they're everywhere. Let them have their day. In five years who will care and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you make more money than this shlupp.

It all evens out. Twenty some odd years ago I wrote a comment at the end of a particularly grueling toxicology exam "Thank God it's over" The tyrant replied back "It's not over yet -2 points for smartass"

The same week in medchem there was a bonus question for a guest lecture that no one attended. The question was "What was the topic of the lecture"
I answered "caught with my pants down I don't have a clue because I didn't go"

Apparently the rest of the class tried to snow him because the prof (a true scholar and gentleman) gave me five points for "naked honesty" and said so as he chided the class for skipping the lecture. I still remember his name after all this time. The other guy is just a pissant petty tyrant.

The prof giveth and the prof taketh away. No matter what happens you shall come out on top.

Dana, you're the best! :p

KUMoose said:

The spreadsheet was on a website portal system thing (Blackboard is what its called) that professors at USC use to put up course materials, grades, etc. All USC students can access the website, but you can only view the content for the courses you are registered for. The professor uploaded a spreadsheet so that when you input your SSN with dashes, you can view your quiz scores, exam grades, and the exam room you have to report to. Instructions were explicit and there was already a sample SSN of "999-99-9999" in the cell so it was fairly obvious that the dashes would be required. So, to ME it was quite amusing that people still didn't put dashes. :laugh:

After the exam when we found out how many points he was taking off it all seemed a bit ridiculous. The class goes on a straight 100 point scale - 40 points for the midterm, 60 for the final. He wanted to take 5-10 points off (can't recall) the midterm score if you didn't go to the right room. Even if you got 40 points on the midterm, you would drop a whole letter grade or more because of the wrong room. After students went crying to the director of admissions (I don't understand why they didn't go to the Dean), the professor decided to lower the amount of points that he was going to take off.

I know his intent was to scare us into following directions, because of his comments... "Silly me - I thought pharmacists can follow directions" "I'm sorry, pharmacists have to follow directions when filling prescriptions but you can't follow these directions?" :laugh: I think what really irked everyone was the fact that he PURPOSELY put the wrong room number for all SSN's when you took out the dashes. Couldn't he just put up an error message instead...

dgroulx said:
It's a performance class. You are called on and videotaped. The list is randomized and you are expected to be there and ready each day. They even start the class every day with a quiz in the first five minutes to make sure you are there and prepared. Lots of people were late during the semester and had to take zeroes for their quizzes. I was called on to perform for Verbal Defense and wasn't there, so I took a zero for my performance grade. Verbal Defense was 1/4 of our grade. Also, if you are called on and not there, they subtract 5 percentage points off of your final grade. Because of that, I could not make a passing grade in the class. I normally make all A's and B's, so they gave me the benefit of the doubt and passed me. If I was a poor student, the outcome would have been different.

Oh. Didn't catch that part. It's still lame. They should email you the question. Honestly, this is just my bias from just not ever wanting to attend class. Ever.

I know his intent was to scare us into following directions, because of his comments... "Silly me - I thought pharmacists can follow directions" "I'm sorry, pharmacists have to follow directions when filling prescriptions but you can't follow these directions?" I think what really irked everyone was the fact that he PURPOSELY put the wrong room number for all SSN's when you took out the dashes. Couldn't he just put up an error message instead...

This is just dumb. "Ooh, look at me, I can trick people into going to the wrong room." I'd report his ass to the accredidation people. Then I'd place a bag of flaming poo on his doorstep, ring the doorbell, and run away.

ilovepharmacy said:
The spreadsheet was on a website portal system thing (Blackboard is what its called) that professors at USC use to put up course materials, grades, etc. All USC students can access the website, but you can only view the content for the courses you are registered for. The professor uploaded a spreadsheet so that when you input your SSN with dashes, you can view your quiz scores, exam grades, and the exam room you have to report to. Instructions were explicit and there was already a sample SSN of "999-99-9999" in the cell so it was fairly obvious that the dashes would be required. So, to ME it was quite amusing that people still didn't put dashes. :laugh:

After the exam when we found out how many points he was taking off it all seemed a bit ridiculous. The class goes on a straight 100 point scale - 40 points for the midterm, 60 for the final. He wanted to take 5-10 points off (can't recall) the midterm score if you didn't go to the right room. Even if you got 40 points on the midterm, you would drop a whole letter grade or more because of the wrong room. After students went crying to the director of admissions (I don't understand why they didn't go to the Dean), the professor decided to lower the amount of points that he was going to take off.

I know his intent was to scare us into following directions, because of his comments... "Silly me - I thought pharmacists can follow directions" "I'm sorry, pharmacists have to follow directions when filling prescriptions but you can't follow these directions?" :laugh: I think what really irked everyone was the fact that he PURPOSELY put the wrong room number for all SSN's when you took out the dashes. Couldn't he just put up an error message instead...

On a side note... I think that there are laws against using SSN for such purposes in courses... So most schools use student ID#'s instead.

Trancelucent1 said:

That's a rough thing to do, but I'm sure the professor only has the best of intentions for you and the field of pharmacy in penalizing that mistake. I do believe, however, that such a penalty is a bit harsh...

ilovepharmacy said:

omg...let me guess...healthcare delivery? (just based on the comments that pharmacists cant follow directions....he was never that bad to us)

Words can't express how frustrated I was to read about your problem originally, Dana, but I'm just glad to know that it's ultimately worked itself out.

tanyas said:
omg...let me guess...healthcare delivery? (just based on the comments that pharmacists cant follow directions....he was never that bad to us)

ahahha yep - healthcare delivery.. :laugh: