Mycoplasma/Chlamydia pneumonia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
50 yo female diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia, chlamydia pneumonia, pericarditis/endocarditis, and adrenal system is beginning to fail. Any reason why she would be treated with diflucan and not erythromycin/tetracycline? :confused: :confused:

Thank You!!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

No, but have they looked into Common Variable Immunodeficiency?

Seaglass said:
No, but have they looked into Common Variable Immunodeficiency?

I can find that out later tonight, but I do know that she has a severely low level of T-cells. Is that a sign of CVID, or just low B-cell levels?

Thank you sooo much, you guys are awesome.

I suspect that your patient has a culture negative endocarditis with presumed chlamydia pneumonia/Chlamydia psittaci as the etiology. Flucanazole was probably added to cover for Candida endocarditis, which can also give you culture negative endocarditis; not to treat the chlamydia. The low T-Cells could mean a number of things, but it most commonly means that the patient has HIV. However, if they were checking the patient's CD4 count (a type of T-Cell) while the patient was sick, it's not that unusual for a patient with a normal immune system to have a very low CD4 count while they are sick enough to require hospital care. That's why you shouldn't even bother checking an HIV patient's CD4 count when they are admitted in the hospital for some infectious reason. Anyways, if you really want to know what is going on with this patient, I'd reccomend speaking with the doctors responsible for her care. If that's not possible, you could write down all of the medicines they have her on and copy down a few of her labs and notes so that one of us could try to make sense of it for you. She sounds like a very sick patient.

CVID can have low T cells too and can often have a falsse positive HIV. Does this pt. have a history of auttoimmune diseases?

C

Thanks so much guys. This is my gf's mother, that's why I'm slow on getting information. All I know right now is what I've said basically. The diagnoses were made by an immunologist - she is at home not in hospital. What I've been told is that she has a respiratory infection of mycoplasma, chlamyida around her heart, a low T-cell count, an extremely low NK-cell count, and a failing adrenal system. No history of diagnosed immune disorder, but a history of fatigue, headaches, and various symptoms which were attributed to severe allergy.
What confuses me is the lack of antibiotics being administered - the only drug she is being given is diflucan.
I've suggested that they speak with the dr, but until then I thought I'd pick the massive collective SDN brain. :)

diflucan is an anti-fungal agent, it's not for mycoplasma pneumonia. It's odd that she is is being treated at home if she does have a pericarditis and "adrenal failure". I think that either she or you have mis-understodd what she has been diagnosed with. Again, a low T-cell count obtained while she is sick and NK cell count is meaningless without some sort of immunodeficient history or infection by some other organism.

Kalel said:
diflucan is an anti-fungal agent, it's not for mycoplasma pneumonia. It's odd that she is is being treated at home if she does have a pericarditis and "adrenal failure". I think that either she or you have mis-understodd what she has been diagnosed with.

I thought the same things which is why I posted here to see if I was missing something. I verified with her several times if that's what the dr actually said - I will continue to investigate.

Ok finally got a call back from the secretary at the Drs office today. Apparently there is no mycoplasma infection, but a chlamydia infection (not the STD) and 2 other viruses. To which I responded "but chlamydia is a bacterium not a virus, why isnt she being treated with abx?" Secretary: "no it is the viral type of chlamydia" Me: "im pretty sure theres no viral type, chlamydia is a bacterial organism" Her: "Dr. XXXX says its viral" Me: "well that doesnt make sense" Her: "Have you done an IM residency and 3 year AI fellowship and practiced AI for 40 years?" Me: "no" Her: "well Dr. XXXX knows what hes doing"

Ok, so has anyone heard of a Chlamydia virus???? All she's on is diflucan because apparently her normal flora is "out of control" - and painkillers for her chest pain caused by the infections. She "will get a lot worse before she gets better"

there is no chlamydia virus. There is however, commonly "coinfection", especially in pneumonias where both viruses and bacteria are causing infection. In any case, Im not sure how she got diagnosed with chlamydia pna--chlamydia pneumonia's are not cultured out of sputum often. They are more commonly grown from bronchoscopy (scope into lungs) samples when it is tested for chlaymdia PCR. Also, if she has this pneumonia she should have gotten a course of azithromycin( macrolide) or levaquin (quinolone) If she hasnt then this makes no sense.

As far as the endocarditis/pancarditis? Chlyamydia endocarditis is quite rare--you would suspect many other more common organisms to cause endocarditis first. And she would be treated in hospital. Libman-Sacks endocarditis is an autoimmune cause of endocarditis in Lupus and in a woman is a possibility. Also, "pericarditis" can be seen in lupus as well.
Another syndrome which could make sense is viral myocarditis. These people can get dilated hearts with poor ejection fraction, seemingly out of nowhere except they recently had a after viral infection. This syndrome can affect all aspects of the heart--pericardium, myocardium, endocardium--whereas bacteria usually only cause endocarditis.

As far as the low Tcells, I think its most likely she has some autoimmune problem--or CVID causing her problems. (with limited info at hand) All of these rare findings in a young to middle aged woman ---indicates autoimmune or genetic diseases are at play. She would usually have a past history of infection if CVID (ear infections, pneumonias, sinusitis, etc) is to be considered--although as the name states--it can be variable.
For autoimmune diseases--any combination of aches/pains/rashes---but not necessarily infections-- should be part of the history.

And for the Diflucan--i have no idea. They must have cultured yeast from somewhere--sputum, mouth, urine, blood. (if they cultured it from blood she'd be in the hospital)

(nicedream) said:
Ok finally got a call back from the secretary at the Drs office today. Apparently there is no mycoplasma infection, but a chlamydia infection (not the STD) and 2 other viruses. To which I responded "but chlamydia is a bacterium not a virus, why isnt she being treated with abx?" Secretary: "no it is the viral type of chlamydia" Me: "im pretty sure theres no viral type, chlamydia is a bacterial organism" Her: "Dr. XXXX says its viral" Me: "well that doesnt make sense" Her: "Have you done an IM residency and 3 year AI fellowship and practiced AI for 40 years?" Me: "no" Her: "well Dr. XXXX knows what hes doing"

Ok, so has anyone heard of a Chlamydia virus???? All she's on is diflucan because apparently her normal flora is "out of control" - and painkillers for her chest pain caused by the infections. She "will get a lot worse before she gets better"

Are you sure they said and meant "Chlamydia" and not Candida. You are correct that Chlamydia or Chlamydophila (a new genus designation including the former Chlamydia pneumoniae and Chlamydia psittaci which I would suspect she would be infected with if she has a respiratory infection) are bacterial organisms (they are obligate intracellular parasites like viruses though but they are bacteria). She could also be infected with Chlamydia trachomatis which also infects the respiratory tract amd it is also bacterial. Diflucan (Flucanazole) is an antifungal. Therefore, I would assume that the patient might be infected with Candida albicans or one of the other Candida species (Flucanazole is commonly used to treat Candida albicans ). Flucanazole inhibits the synthesis of ergosterol which is important in the formation of membrane sterols in Fungus. I am trying to remember back to my pharmacology or medical micro class in graduate school but I do not believe this is an important pathway for bacteria so I think it definitely makes more sense that it would be Candida.