Mysterious UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmokeyBear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been complete(all the materials that were requested were sent in on the status page) at UCLA for over three months. I wanted to contact the admissions office to find out if I am ever going to get an interview and I can't find their email or phone number listed anywhere. I only found an address. Does anyone know how to contact them??? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel. Just sit tight though. :oops:

I was complete for a couple days shy of 3 months and got an interview invite last Friday. So there's hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Out-of-state, I did not even recieve a secondary from them yet, sent my primary in August :oops: They might as well reject me, but they keep sending me e-mails how they are in the process of "organizing" to review my primary. dinguses.

At many of the top schools, UCLA included, Nov/Dec is the middle and end of Grant Season. Those same people that review applications are renewing, or writing up new grants for funding. It is not easy to wait, but this is just about the middle of the interview season. Interviews sometimes go beyond March. So, just sit tight. Study. Have some fun. :oops:

By the way if you are out of state, 15% or less get accepted from out of state. But until you get a letter that says..."We regret to inform you.." don't worry.

SmokeyBear said:
Hey Guys,

I have been complete(all the materials that were requested were sent in on the status page) at UCLA for over three months. I wanted to contact the admissions office to find out if I am ever going to get an interview and I can't find their email or phone number listed anywhere. I only found an address. Does anyone know how to contact them??? :rolleyes:

Hi,SomkeyBear, If you got a letter from UCLA, there should be a phone number. Just in case you don't have it in handy, 310-825-6081 is the phone number for Office of Admissions at UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. If you're not applying to regular MD program, I think you should contact a different number. Calling wouldn't hurt if you think ANY news is better than waiting. Hope this helps and wish the best luck.

Thanks for the number! :thumbup:

SmokeyBear said:
Thanks for the number! :thumbup:

I called a couple weeks ago. They basically said its not uncommon that I haven't heard yet. They review thousands of applications and this takes time. Blah Blah Blah...

No useful information. If you get a better response, let me know.

So, my AMCAS app was verified 8/1 and UCLA had my letters by 8/22. Then... silence. Deafening silence. I used to check the status page obsessively several times a day, but after 3 months passed I gave up, and lately I've been checking once or twice a week out of curiosity/obstinacy/boredom.

Today, I found out I have been granted a SECONDARY. :eek:

My goodness.

So, does anyone else find it odd that it took them from 8/1 to 12/13 to request a secondary app from me? Do I have a snowball's chance in h*ll for an interview? And if I DO somehow get an interview will it even be in time for a real spot, or will it be for the waitlist?

Although, if the pattern stays the same, I won't hear about an interview until another 3.5 months :laugh:

amandil said:
So, my AMCAS app was verified 8/1 and UCLA had my letters by 8/22. Then... silence. Deafening silence. I used to check the status page obsessively several times a day, but after 3 months passed I gave up, and lately I've been checking once or twice a week out of curiosity/obstinacy/boredom.

Today, I found out I have been granted a SECONDARY. :eek:

My goodness.

So, does anyone else find it odd that it took them from 8/1 to 12/13 to request a secondary app from me? Do I have a snowball's chance in h*ll for an interview? And if I DO somehow get an interview will it even be in time for a real spot, or will it be for the waitlist?

Although, if the pattern stays the same, I won't hear about an interview until another 3.5 months :laugh:

Whoa that makes me feel so much better. I was just starting to come to terms with the horrors of a presecondary rejection. My letters got there 8/31, so extrapolate out... I should be getting my secondary... March 2007.

I heard nothing for two months, then they called me last Thursday to interview this past Tuesday. It was f*ing sweet.

don't sweat it, i've been complete since august and still nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be very forward but are any of the people invited for interviews willing to post their stats? Im instate, havent heard anything in a week shy of 3 months, I guess thats not great news :(
I guess Im just missing a golden nugget they were looking for...maybe I should have answered every single question in the secondary? :luck:

Wait I'm confused... amandil and unfrozencaveman, you guys sent in your letters BEFORE being granted a secondary? I didn't know you could do that...

Napoleon4000 said:
By the way if you are out of state, 15% or less get accepted from out of state. But until you get a letter that says..."We regret to inform you.." don't worry.

Or less. last year out-of-stater acceptances were 2.3%

In-state is only 6%

Good luck, it's a great school :luck: :luck: :luck:

Kerner74 said:
Wait I'm confused... amandil and unfrozencaveman, you guys sent in your letters BEFORE being granted a secondary? I didn't know you could do that...

Mine were on Virtual Evals, and so they got sent to all schools I had on my AMCAS. UCLA downloaded them, and put them on their system for some reason, presecondary.

Napoleon4000 said:

Where are people getting these numbers? According to their website, 15% of their matriculants are from out of state, but it says they don't show preference for state of residence. 15% matriculation is different from 15% acceptance. It was one of the few CA schools where I had a decent shot from out of state, which is why I applied. I think it's just that w/ the cost of out of state tuition, applicants consider other schools.

Btw, I got their secondary a while back, but didn't notice the deadline, so waited until after the deadline to try and submit it, and alas, the link was gone. So learn from my mistake and submit your secondary before the deadline.

But if you still make the same mistake, they'll re-extend the deadline for you if you just call them. :p

soooooo......what do we do now?

DrZee said:
This may be very forward but are any of the people invited for interviews willing to post their stats?

I really don't think this'll help you, but feel free to look at my mdapplicants profile (link in my signature) for my stats. And to answer your question ahead of time, no, I have no idea why they gave me an interview. :p

Kerner74 said:

I miscommunicated with my pre-med committee and they mailed most of my letters all at once, before I submitted my secondaries... luckily for me, I don't think any of the schools threw them away (even though some hadn't even offered me a secondary yet!). The letters showed up on my UCLA page, even though I hadn't been offered a secondary, within a week.

zook said:
Where are people getting these numbers? According to their website, 15% of their matriculants are from out of state, but it says they don't show preference for state of residence. 15% matriculation is different from 15% acceptance. It was one of the few CA schools where I had a decent shot from out of state, which is why I applied. I think it's just that w/ the cost of out of state tuition, applicants consider other schools.

You're right, UCLA does accept a good amount of out-of-staters. I can think of ~20-30 in my class.

Sophie said:
I really don't think this'll help you, but feel free to look at my mdapplicants profile (link in my signature) for my stats. And to answer your question ahead of time, no, I have no idea why they gave me an interview. :p
You read my mind even before i had thought of the question! :) Well, after reading your MDapplicants profile I can say that you seem like a really interesting person and someone I would be happy to have as a classmate anywhere so thats why you got an interview (besides you've got brilliant academics and cool activities). Oh well, I guess I answered my own questions. Peace out. :thumbup:
Zee

DrZee said:
You read my mind even before i had thought of the question! :) Well, after reading your MDapplicants profile I can say that you seem like a really interesting person and someone I would be happy to have as a classmate anywhere so thats why you got an interview (besides you've got brilliant academics and cool activities). Oh well, I guess I answered my own questions. Peace out. :thumbup:
Zee

:oops: Thank you.

I hope you get an interview invitation soon. :)

Sophie said:

Thanks, I hope so too. :oops:
Did you update them between the time you completed the secondary and the time you received an interview? I am thinking of sending another update after grades come out.

Sophie said:

Did you update them between the time you completed the secondary and the time you received an interview? I am thinking of sending another update after grades come out. :sleep:

DrZee said:
Did you update them between the time you completed the secondary and the time you received an interview? I am thinking of sending another update after grades come out. :sleep:

Yes, I sent one update in October when I found out the abstract for my manuscript was published and that the manuscript had been accepted for publication. I think updates are a great idea, since they show you're interested. This definitely isn't necessary, but I sent an email to each school letting them know a letter of update had been sent to them and giving a one sentence synopsis of what it contained. I didn't want them to review my file while the letter was in transit.

Sophie said:
Yes, I sent one update in October when I found out the abstract for my manuscript was published and that the manuscript had been accepted for publication. I think updates are a great idea, since they show you're interested. This definitely isn't necessary, but I sent an email to each school letting them know a letter of update had been sent to them and giving a one sentence synopsis of what it contained. I didn't want them to review my file while the letter was in transit.
Good idea, I just sent another letter in the mail...should email them before they do anything :thumbup:

I wanted to send an update letter but when I called to ask who to send it to they said don't send anything until I get an interview invite. Sucks. I guess they don't want to hear about my grades and all the FABULOUS things I've been doing since my app was complete in August?

Should I just go ahead and send the letter anyways? Who did you guys address your updates to?