1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Myths or Fact about suicide rate?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mynameistino, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Ok, i have heard alot of stories from people saying hat Dentist has the most suicidal rate in the country? is it really true? I read some article saying that it is false but i hear it more as a fact than a myth. WHat do you think?

2. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you really like dentistry it's a myth. If you don't like the profession it is a fact for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ok thank you for your comment that helps.

4. Gulch

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    o thank-you confucious, you so wise. I'd be curious to know where this little bit of urban legend came from and if it has any legitimate origin. The only contribution I can add is this: I work for a mortuary and pick up dead bodies everyday for my job. While I have dealt with numerous suicide cases, I still haven't picked up any autonomously bucket-kicking dentists. I'll be pretty bummed out the day that I do. Hope this helps. :) :) :) :eek:

5. food4thots

food4thots Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    actually physicians have higher suicide rates than dentists do. studies also show that white males have the highest suicide rate, so this may correlate with the suicide rate of physicians and dentists.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Gulch

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Where are you getting this info?

7. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

This is one of those can-o-worms topics that always makes me cringe as a moderator. The rumor that dentists are crazy-prone to suicide is just that - a rumor. It is based on an obscure study from the 1930's that used flawed techniques. Run a search, whenever the function is available, here on SDN and you will find multiple threads dedicated to this very topic.

8. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This topic came up at my interview and I stated that I will do my part to dispell this myth and really try NOT to kill myself once I became a dentist. They responded that they didn't care if I waxed myself just that I wait until I graduate. I thought that this was kinda strange coming from an AdCom.

9. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    HA! I can just picture them mailing your acceptance packet: letter of acceptance, booklet on the school, financial aid bundle, and a little baggie with rope, sleeping pills, and and ivory-handled razor blade from the 20s.

Not only is this an unfounded myth, but dentists are generally very happy people who are still satisfied with their careers and life arrangements for many, many decades. Because of the high satisfaction with the day-to-day work and ability to plan one's life, dentists traditionally burn out less frequently than other careers - even those in the health field.

I cannot cite any research for my opinion...I have just observed it speaking with many dentists.

10. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I can't cope with this guys, it's just too hard , I'm going to commit suicide.

Come on, it's a myth.

11. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A funny comment and two guys tweak a little.
    Every dentist I know is dead by his own hand. Those student loans are a PITA!

12. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist

Well said! My vote: myth.

13. ems5184

ems5184 Denist (future)
    5+ Year Member

Facts: Dentists do have a high rate of suicide

Myth: Dentists have the highest rate of suicide...this is NOT TRUE AT ALL, it
    is actually not any higher than the rate of physicians, lawyers, or any
    other professional worker dealing with a high-stress job. It is actually
    lower than the rate for lawyers I believe (as of 2001) so this is totally
    false and anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant and has not
    done the research.

14. TucsonDDS

TucsonDDS Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

But do you guys know how stressful it is to find a sports car that will fit your clubs. DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE ABOUT US :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

15. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL

16. kurt10

kurt10 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think at one time this may have been true. The reason behind it all doesn't have much to do with dentistry itself. I heard that the reason those dentists that did kill themselves was because they weren't able to run a practice. The skills to become a dentist and what makes a dentist succeed are different. Good news is that I think adcoms have become more aware of this and that's why the interview is so important to eleminate the people that are only book smart. has anyone else heard this?

17. doctor82

doctor82 Destined to heal
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL(Great philosophy..indeed!)

18. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's all the mercury we inhale that causes us to kill ourselves :laugh:

19. Fat_Man

Fat_Man Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes, this is actually a vicious rumor. And if you trace back it's origin, you will find it to be none other than Jerry Seinfeld. That's right. A Seinfeld joke. It is not true and has never been true. I wrote a paper on job satisfaction for one of my graduate courses and was very amused when I found the truth . . .

20. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Believe it or not I actually had highschool teachers asking me about this...apprently lots of people have heard this rumor.

21. brainfreeze

brainfreeze Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental