• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Myths or Fact about suicide rate?

M

mynameistino

Ok, i have heard alot of stories from people saying hat Dentist has the most suicidal rate in the country? is it really true? I read some article saying that it is false but i hear it more as a fact than a myth. WHat do you think?

dat_student

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Apr 5, 2005
    Weyburn Terrace :-)
      mynameistino said:
      Ok, i have heard alot of stories from people saying hat Dentist has the most suicidal rate in the country? is it really true? I read some article saying that it is false but i hear it more as a fact than a myth. WHat do you think?

If you really like dentistry it's a myth. If you don't like the profession it is a fact for you.

About the Ads

Gulch

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Mar 15, 2005
      Ann Arbor, MI
      1. Dental Student
        dat_student said:
        If you really like dentistry it's a myth. If you don't like the profession it is a fact for you.

o thank-you confucious, you so wise. I'd be curious to know where this little bit of urban legend came from and if it has any legitimate origin. The only contribution I can add is this: I work for a mortuary and pick up dead bodies everyday for my job. While I have dealt with numerous suicide cases, I still haven't picked up any autonomously bucket-kicking dentists. I'll be pretty bummed out the day that I do. Hope this helps. :) :) :) :eek:

food4thots

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 5, 2005
        1. Dental Student
          actually physicians have higher suicide rates than dentists do. studies also show that white males have the highest suicide rate, so this may correlate with the suicide rate of physicians and dentists.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jun 4, 2004
          Philadelphia, PA
            This is one of those can-o-worms topics that always makes me cringe as a moderator. The rumor that dentists are crazy-prone to suicide is just that - a rumor. It is based on an obscure study from the 1930's that used flawed techniques. Run a search, whenever the function is available, here on SDN and you will find multiple threads dedicated to this very topic.

PDizzle

PreDents.com
            Partner Organization
            10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Oct 25, 2005
            LSU, New Orleans
            www.predents.com
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              This topic came up at my interview and I stated that I will do my part to dispell this myth and really try NOT to kill myself once I became a dentist. They responded that they didn't care if I waxed myself just that I wait until I graduate. I thought that this was kinda strange coming from an AdCom.

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jul 23, 2005
              Shuffled off....
              1. Dental Student
                PDizzle said:
                This topic came up at my interview and I stated that I will do my part to dispell this myth and really try NOT to kill myself once I became a dentist. They responded that they didn't care if I waxed myself just that I wait until I graduate. I thought that this was kinda strange coming from an AdCom.

HA! I can just picture them mailing your acceptance packet: letter of acceptance, booklet on the school, financial aid bundle, and a little baggie with rope, sleeping pills, and and ivory-handled razor blade from the 20s.

Not only is this an unfounded myth, but dentists are generally very happy people who are still satisfied with their careers and life arrangements for many, many decades. Because of the high satisfaction with the day-to-day work and ability to plan one's life, dentists traditionally burn out less frequently than other careers - even those in the health field.

I cannot cite any research for my opinion...I have just observed it speaking with many dentists.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
                10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Sep 19, 2005
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  dat_student said:

A funny comment and two guys tweak a little.
                  Every dentist I know is dead by his own hand. Those student loans are a PITA!

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
                  15+ Year Member
                  Oct 7, 2001
                  Arizona
                  1. Dentist
                    Sprgrover said:
                    This is one of those can-o-worms topics that always makes me cringe as a moderator. The rumor that dentists are crazy-prone to suicide is just that - a rumor. It is based on an obscure study from the 1930's that used flawed techniques. Run a search, whenever the function is available, here on SDN and you will find multiple threads dedicated to this very topic.

Well said! My vote: myth.

ems5184

Denist (future)
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Jun 25, 2004
                    MI
                      Facts: Dentists do have a high rate of suicide

Myth: Dentists have the highest rate of suicide...this is NOT TRUE AT ALL, it
                      is actually not any higher than the rate of physicians, lawyers, or any
                      other professional worker dealing with a high-stress job. It is actually
                      lower than the rate for lawyers I believe (as of 2001) so this is totally
                      false and anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant and has not
                      done the research.

kurt10

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jul 29, 2005
                      NC
                      1. Dentist
                        I think at one time this may have been true. The reason behind it all doesn't have much to do with dentistry itself. I heard that the reason those dentists that did kill themselves was because they weren't able to run a practice. The skills to become a dentist and what makes a dentist succeed are different. Good news is that I think adcoms have become more aware of this and that's why the interview is so important to eleminate the people that are only book smart. has anyone else heard this?

Fat_Man

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Nov 9, 2005
                        1. Pre-Dental
                          Yes, this is actually a vicious rumor. And if you trace back it's origin, you will find it to be none other than Jerry Seinfeld. That's right. A Seinfeld joke. It is not true and has never been true. I wrote a paper on job satisfaction for one of my graduate courses and was very amused when I found the truth . . .

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.