Myths or Fact about suicide rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mynameistino

Ok, i have heard alot of stories from people saying hat Dentist has the most suicidal rate in the country? is it really true? I read some article saying that it is false but i hear it more as a fact than a myth. WHat do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

mynameistino said:
Ok, i have heard alot of stories from people saying hat Dentist has the most suicidal rate in the country? is it really true? I read some article saying that it is false but i hear it more as a fact than a myth. WHat do you think?

If you really like dentistry it's a myth. If you don't like the profession it is a fact for you.

dat_student said:
If you really like dentistry it's a myth. If you don't like the profession it is a fact for you.

ok thank you for your comment that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:

o thank-you confucious, you so wise. I'd be curious to know where this little bit of urban legend came from and if it has any legitimate origin. The only contribution I can add is this: I work for a mortuary and pick up dead bodies everyday for my job. While I have dealt with numerous suicide cases, I still haven't picked up any autonomously bucket-kicking dentists. I'll be pretty bummed out the day that I do. Hope this helps. :) :) :) :eek:

actually physicians have higher suicide rates than dentists do. studies also show that white males have the highest suicide rate, so this may correlate with the suicide rate of physicians and dentists.

food4thots said:
actually physicians have higher suicide rates than dentists do. studies also show that white males have the highest suicide rate, so this may correlate with the suicide rate of physicians and dentists.

Where are you getting this info?

This is one of those can-o-worms topics that always makes me cringe as a moderator. The rumor that dentists are crazy-prone to suicide is just that - a rumor. It is based on an obscure study from the 1930's that used flawed techniques. Run a search, whenever the function is available, here on SDN and you will find multiple threads dedicated to this very topic.

This topic came up at my interview and I stated that I will do my part to dispell this myth and really try NOT to kill myself once I became a dentist. They responded that they didn't care if I waxed myself just that I wait until I graduate. I thought that this was kinda strange coming from an AdCom.

PDizzle said:
This topic came up at my interview and I stated that I will do my part to dispell this myth and really try NOT to kill myself once I became a dentist. They responded that they didn't care if I waxed myself just that I wait until I graduate. I thought that this was kinda strange coming from an AdCom.

HA! I can just picture them mailing your acceptance packet: letter of acceptance, booklet on the school, financial aid bundle, and a little baggie with rope, sleeping pills, and and ivory-handled razor blade from the 20s.

Not only is this an unfounded myth, but dentists are generally very happy people who are still satisfied with their careers and life arrangements for many, many decades. Because of the high satisfaction with the day-to-day work and ability to plan one's life, dentists traditionally burn out less frequently than other careers - even those in the health field.

I cannot cite any research for my opinion...I have just observed it speaking with many dentists.

I can't cope with this guys, it's just too hard , I'm going to commit suicide.

Come on, it's a myth.

dat_student said:

A funny comment and two guys tweak a little.
Every dentist I know is dead by his own hand. Those student loans are a PITA!

Sprgrover said:
This is one of those can-o-worms topics that always makes me cringe as a moderator. The rumor that dentists are crazy-prone to suicide is just that - a rumor. It is based on an obscure study from the 1930's that used flawed techniques. Run a search, whenever the function is available, here on SDN and you will find multiple threads dedicated to this very topic.

Well said! My vote: myth.

Facts: Dentists do have a high rate of suicide

Myth: Dentists have the highest rate of suicide...this is NOT TRUE AT ALL, it
is actually not any higher than the rate of physicians, lawyers, or any
other professional worker dealing with a high-stress job. It is actually
lower than the rate for lawyers I believe (as of 2001) so this is totally
false and anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant and has not
done the research.

But do you guys know how stressful it is to find a sports car that will fit your clubs. DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE ABOUT US :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

TucsonDDS said:
But do you guys know how stressful it is to find a sports car that will fit your clubs. DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE ABOUT US :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

LOL

I think at one time this may have been true. The reason behind it all doesn't have much to do with dentistry itself. I heard that the reason those dentists that did kill themselves was because they weren't able to run a practice. The skills to become a dentist and what makes a dentist succeed are different. Good news is that I think adcoms have become more aware of this and that's why the interview is so important to eleminate the people that are only book smart. has anyone else heard this?

dat_student said:
LOL(Great philosophy..indeed!)

It's all the mercury we inhale that causes us to kill ourselves :laugh:

Yes, this is actually a vicious rumor. And if you trace back it's origin, you will find it to be none other than Jerry Seinfeld. That's right. A Seinfeld joke. It is not true and has never been true. I wrote a paper on job satisfaction for one of my graduate courses and was very amused when I found the truth . . .

Believe it or not I actually had highschool teachers asking me about this...apprently lots of people have heard this rumor.