N Terminal BNP vs. BNP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basementbeast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently started having the NT-BNP available as a lab test instead of BNP. i understand that NT-BNP is the inert, slowly cleared pro form of the metabolically active BNP. NT-BNP is also thought to be more sensative in general and perhaps better at picking up diastolic dysfunction. the range of levels of NT-BNP seems to be way higher (up to 30,000!). the internist are arguing with me that NT-BNP is a worthless test. are they right? i cannot find much useful discussion on it in journal articles. anyone here use it? what is your experience? anyone have a good reference that discusses it use the emergency medicine? thx.

Members don't see this ad.

From the articles that I have read, NT-BNP would be better at long term diastolic dysfunction as an addition to further testing. I think I am going to stick with the regular BNP for evaluation of CHF. It gives you more recent information. But when they come out with the Pre-Pro-NT-BNP assay.....

thanks for your input....unfortunately the only BNP available in the NT BNP.