N

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangoesandhoops

mangoesandhoops
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ortho is more DO friendly than other surgical specialties but in all cases, MD will have a better chance at matching. Because you've mentioned ortho and optho, I'd go Loyola because it won't close as many doors if you decide to pursue a competitive specialty.

What do you value more, family or career aspirations which are likely to change anyways?

Loyola is the better option BUT if you want to go to MSUCOM (which is sounds like you do) then you shouldn't be ashamed of deciding on DO>MD. Something to note about the # of students that matched is that you are comparing two very different class sizes and for any given class interest may vary so # of people matching isn't that indicative of anything.

I agree with the comment above that you have to decide what you value more. If there is any chance you may change your mind then it might make sense to go MD>DO to ensure you are not limiting yourself from the start. I have friends that graduated from Loyola and there is a large sense of community so you could still find that. It might be worth talking to current students at both schools to ensure the things you care about are things that are supported. Just my opinion though. Congrats!

OP, you seem interested in some of the most competitive specialities out there; even MDs have difficulty matching ortho and and optho. You will have an uphill climb as a DO.

I think you need to weigh exactly how important staying near family is to you, because while a support system is inarguably important, I can't think of any advantage MSUCOM will give you over Loyola in matching to those specialties.