Nailing pre-reqs vs. taking additional classes

Started by Meridian32
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Meridian32

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Folks,

I've just started taking the pre-reqs for med school (intro bio and chem) informally. I am also considering taking an additional class, such as undergrad anatomy. What are your thoughts on whether it is more important to focus on nailing the bio and chem pre-reqs vs. having additional, medicine-related classes such as anatomy on your transcript?

Thanks.
 
Folks,

I've just started taking the pre-reqs for med school (intro bio and chem) informally. I am also considering taking an additional class, such as undergrad anatomy. What are your thoughts on whether it is more important to focus on nailing the bio and chem pre-reqs vs. having additional, medicine-related classes such as anatomy on your transcript?

Thanks.

Nail the pre-reqs. Getting as close to a 4.0 is the #1 priority at this point. I wouldn't push for anatomy just yet. If intro bio and chem end up being extra easy on you, you could consider it another quarter. But know that intro bio and chem are "weeder" courses. and if you haven't had science classes, it'll be challenging.
 
Agree about the timing -- wait a bit. But it is highly recommended to have a & p finished prior to mcat and applying, and maybe a few more advanced bio courses on the transcript as well -- many schools no longer consider the minimum # of courses to be acceptable; the bar creeps upward!