Name Brand Residency...better Chance For A Fellowship

Started by Moola
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Moola

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
Just wondering whether having a residency from a name brand institution gives preference for getting a plastics fellowship. I have decided to do ENT but hope to get plastics afterwards. Also, do programs give ppl at their own school preference for the fellowships? Yeah I know ENT is not the optimum, most preferred way to get into PS but I'll live with that and do TONS of research in residency. Where are all these unmatched ppl for PS fellowships? I go to a mid tier school with no big name with NO PS department and the GS residents ALL matched this year. Yeah they are university trained but at a decent place, not IVY league. Are there also a lot of community hosp based ppl also in the match. WHO ARE THE UNMATCHED BASICALLY? They can't be JACKAL FACED IDIOTS WHO REEK OF FOUL SMELLING CABBAGE or something like that?

Does doing fellowships past training help for getting PS? We have facial plastics and would this training facilitate entry into plastics? any input please. GOD BLESS.
 
Why isn't ENT an optimum way to get into PS? I would think many skilled ENT's could choose to go on to a PS fellowship if they chose to?
 
cdql said:
Why isn't ENT an optimum way to get into PS? I would think many skilled ENT's could choose to go on to a PS fellowship if they chose to?

There's a strong bias towards General Surgery trained applicants among most Program Directors with the conventional wisdom being that they transition the easiest & require the least supervision.