Name Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halfcrazy13.1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year and about to graduate. I got married a couple years ago, but wanted to wait to change my name until after boards were done. Given that PE just got cancelled, I figured now might be a good time to change my last name, so that my diploma will match my future name. Does anyone know if there are any particular licensing rules for what we can use as a last name?

I would like to do MaidenName MarriedName (without a hyphen) so that I can professionally go by Dr. MaidenName and personally go by Mrs. Marriedname. But I don't want to run into issues with licensing/practicing if this will make it too confusing. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year and about to graduate. I got married a couple years ago, but wanted to wait to change my name until after boards were done. Given that PE just got cancelled, I figured now might be a good time to change my last name, so that my diploma will match my future name. Does anyone know if there are any particular licensing rules for what we can use as a last name?

I would like to do MaidenName MarriedName (without a hyphen) so that I can professionally go by Dr. MaidenName and personally go by Mrs. Marriedname. But I don't want to run into issues with licensing/practicing if this will make it too confusing. Thanks for the input!
I don't think it will be an issue, and it'll be even easier since you're changing your name before graduation so your diploma name will match any future licenses. I think you just contact NBME/NBOME for name changes so you have the right name when you take Step 3/Level 3.

Reactions: 1 user