name of surgical tool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
i cant think of the name of the instrument but basically they are scissors that when you bring the two ends of the handle together, the other end of the scissors open up (essentially the opposite of a normal scissor). the tool can be used to gently hold open a space. blanking on the name...any help?

Members don't see this ad.

Wheatlanders have the same effect (squeeze to open, used for gentle retraction)...not sure why you would want to use a cutting tool to hold something open

Wheatlanders have the same effect (squeeze to open, used for gentle retraction)...not sure why you would want to use a cutting tool to hold something open

thanks for that. yea, dont want to actually use scissors for it but i couldnt think of how else to describe it. do you know a small-ish sized retractor with blunt ends? the tool would be perfect for a research experiment im doing. not looking to do any surgeries here :)

Members don't see this ad :)
a Weitlaner is it. Another is a Gelpi. For something smaller, you could use an Alm retractor, or several self-retaining spring retractors are out there that are much smaller.

I use this retractor for my pediatric umbilical hernias I'm forced to repair.
http://www.aristasurgical.com/ProductDetail.asp?style=98HMH11-14&fprd=Miltex%26reg%3B+Meisterhand+Heiss+Self-Retaining+Cross+Action+Retractor&oid1=&oid2=

thanks everyone!
the gelpi looks like it would be perfect except i need a blunt (not sharp) tip. basically im trying to keep a small vessel open and i dont want to puncture the walls
anyone know of something similar to the gelpi but with a blunt tip?

basically im trying to keep a small vessel open and i dont want to puncture the walls
anyone know of something similar to the gelpi but with a blunt tip?

You're trying to use a retractor to hold a blood vessel open? :confused: :eek:

Usually we use DeBakeys, Geralds, or a stay suture (e.g. 5-0 or 6-0 Prolene) for this.