Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Name of Theory?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by CheetahGirl, Feb 18, 2007.

1. CheetahGirl

CheetahGirl Clinical Psychologist
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Does anyone know the name of the "theory" in which a person strives for a goal and once it becomes more attainable, this goal becomes less desirable to the person? It's similar to self-sabotage or buyer’s remorse.

For example: a person applies for very desirable job, and interviews for this job. However, as this person leaves the interview, he/she starts thinking about all the reasons that he/she may not want to work there.

Silly thread, I know, but I'm driving myself insane trying to remember the name of this theory.

2. mander

mander New Member
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    It's a cognitive dissonance thing -- maybe overjustification effect?

3. Pia Getty

5+ Year Member

Let me guess. You're referring to the "you finally got the guy and now you don't want him syndrome"?

4. RayneeDeigh

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Um... this reminded me of an approach-avoidance conflict but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. haha.

Now it's gonna bug me too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Darn you CheetahGirl!!! Now you have me thinking about it too.

-t

6. OP
    OP
    CheetahGirl

CheetahGirl Clinical Psychologist
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    That's it! I'm an internet junkie at 12:33am, so I'm going to cite a questionnable source (that I love):

Approach-avoidance occurs when an individual moves closer (physically or psychologically) to a seemingly desirable object, only to have the potentially negative consequences of contacting that object push back against the closing behavior. Appears in the 2006 AP Psychology Test
    Source: Wikipedia

Now, for the life of me, why couldn't I have found this on my own?!!! Thank you very much...I can sleep now. :sleep:

7. RayneeDeigh

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    YAY! My intro to clinical psych class finally comes in handy!

Now if only my random jeopardy knowledge could get me into grad school, I'd be set!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...