Name of Theory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheetahGirl

Clinical Psychologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of the "theory" in which a person strives for a goal and once it becomes more attainable, this goal becomes less desirable to the person? It's similar to self-sabotage or buyer’s remorse.

For example: a person applies for very desirable job, and interviews for this job. However, as this person leaves the interview, he/she starts thinking about all the reasons that he/she may not want to work there.

Silly thread, I know, but I'm driving myself insane trying to remember the name of this theory.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a cognitive dissonance thing -- maybe overjustification effect?

Let me guess. You're referring to the "you finally got the guy and now you don't want him syndrome"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Um... this reminded me of an approach-avoidance conflict but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. haha.

Now it's gonna bug me too.

Um... this reminded me of an approach-avoidance conflict but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. haha.

Now it's gonna bug me too.

That's it! I'm an internet junkie at 12:33am, so I'm going to cite a questionnable source (that I love):

Approach-avoidance occurs when an individual moves closer (physically or psychologically) to a seemingly desirable object, only to have the potentially negative consequences of contacting that object push back against the closing behavior. Appears in the 2006 AP Psychology Test
Source: Wikipedia

Now, for the life of me, why couldn't I have found this on my own?!!! Thank you very much...I can sleep now. :sleep:

That's it! I'm an internet junkie at 12:33am, so I'm going to cite a questionnable source (that I love):

Approach-avoidance occurs when an individual moves closer (physically or psychologically) to a seemingly desirable object, only to have the potentially negative consequences of contacting that object push back against the closing behavior. Appears in the 2006 AP Psychology Test
Source: Wikipedia

Now, for the life of me, why couldn't I have found this on my own?!!! Thank you very much...I can sleep now. :sleep:

YAY! My intro to clinical psych class finally comes in handy!

Now if only my random jeopardy knowledge could get me into grad school, I'd be set!