• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Name of Theory?

CheetahGirl

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
formerly from Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Does anyone know the name of the "theory" in which a person strives for a goal and once it becomes more attainable, this goal becomes less desirable to the person? It's similar to self-sabotage or buyer’s remorse.

For example: a person applies for very desirable job, and interviews for this job. However, as this person leaves the interview, he/she starts thinking about all the reasons that he/she may not want to work there.

Silly thread, I know, but I'm driving myself insane trying to remember the name of this theory.

About the Ads

CheetahGirl

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
formerly from Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Um... this reminded me of an approach-avoidance conflict but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. haha.

Now it's gonna bug me too.

That's it! I'm an internet junkie at 12:33am, so I'm going to cite a questionnable source (that I love):

Approach-avoidance occurs when an individual moves closer (physically or psychologically) to a seemingly desirable object, only to have the potentially negative consequences of contacting that object push back against the closing behavior. Appears in the 2006 AP Psychology Test
Source: Wikipedia

Now, for the life of me, why couldn't I have found this on my own?!!! Thank you very much...I can sleep now. :sleep:

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
That's it! I'm an internet junkie at 12:33am, so I'm going to cite a questionnable source (that I love):

Approach-avoidance occurs when an individual moves closer (physically or psychologically) to a seemingly desirable object, only to have the potentially negative consequences of contacting that object push back against the closing behavior. Appears in the 2006 AP Psychology Test
Source: Wikipedia

Now, for the life of me, why couldn't I have found this on my own?!!! Thank you very much...I can sleep now. :sleep:

YAY! My intro to clinical psych class finally comes in handy!

Now if only my random jeopardy knowledge could get me into grad school, I'd be set!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.