Name your top 3...

Started by CObuff
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CObuff

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I'm a 4th year trying to do the impossible - develop a list of Family Medicine programs to consider for applications. I'm looking for solid, rigorous programs that offer strong OB training and procedure training out the wazoo. Big university names are not that important to me - just awesome programs that turn out great family docs. So let's try something - list your top 3 programs so that those of us looking at the imposing list of residencies can try to find some direction. Thanks!
 
Your top three will greatly depend on your location and where you want to be geographically. How about a brief rundown of some of the programs I interviewed with instead?

McLeod in Florence, SC -- Outstanding program top to bottom. Super exposure to procedures. I felt like the OB experience might be lacking somewhat, but I definitely would not call it a weakness.

AnMed in Anderson, SC -- I think this program offers good experience in Inpatient medicine both adult and peds, and they recently opened a new Women's and Children's hospital that is amazing. I really liked the people here, particularly the PD. I felt like the procedural training was lacking, though.

Trident in Charleston, SC -- In a beautiful city but the whole program didn't seem well organized and cohesive. My interview day there was a disaster. In addition, they forgot to tell the person who was to meet me for dinner the night before to actually meet me for dinner the night before. This was apparently a repetitive problem as I talked to others on the interview trail who also complained of this strangely enough. In all fairness, not everyone felt this way about it, because two of my med school classmates matched there as their first choice.

ETSU in Kingsport, TN -- A pretty darn good program overall, but the PD is a somewhat eccentric guy who grows herbal treatments in his backyard and such. That's cool if you're into that, I guess. But I'm not.

ETSU in Bristol, TN -- Amazing OB experience. On my interview day the first resident I interviewed with (a PGY-3) was like 5-10 minutes late for the interview because she was finishing up a c-section. How cool is that? Not many programs out there where the FP residents are doing sections. Also felt like they offered a decent experience in procedural skills. Some really interesting faculty as well. And a beautiful nearly brand new hospital. You can't go wrong here.

ETSU in Johnson City, TN -- I felt like the program here was great for procedural skills, with lots of EGD's and c-scopes for everyone. I felt like the peds would be lacking and the OB experience was sub-optimal as well. And, this is highly personal, but I felt like I didn't fit in well with the residents.

UT in Chattanooga, TN -- A good program overall, but I didn't feel like I got a great feel for it on my interview day. Everyone was nice and they have a very nice clinic and a pretty hospital. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet two first class faculty they have that I happened to meet by chance later on after the match. If I had met them, my opinion of them heading into match would likely have been very different. Full of cool people, too.

UT in Knoxville, TN -- What do you want? Whatever it is, this program probably has it. It is opposed, which some won't like. But there are only a few other programs in the hospital though, so there is not a great deal of turf wars. There is a Medicine program, but we don't rotate on their service (we actually have two inpatient teams we have so many patients). In fact, most of the private specialists in the hospital consult us for management of medical issues before the Medicine service. That's pretty cool if you ask me. There are no medicine fellowships here, either so you don't have, for instance GI fellows doing all the scopes or Cards fellows doing all the stress tests. We have a faculty second to none. There are five FP fellowships here: Emergency Medicine, Geratrics, Advanced (operative) Obstetrics, Sports Medicine, and Behavioral Medicine. In addition, there is a fellowship in Homeland Security, as far as I know the only one of it's kind in the entire country, that we share with the medicine department. If I had to pick a weakness, I would say it is the OB experience as a resident and that is probably more a result of the OB department being kinda sub-par than anything. Fortunately, we just recently contracted with the Knox County Health Department to do all their obstetrics so we will have a bunch of our own patients in our own clinic. This will make us a lot less dependent on them for our OB experience, which is a good thing. And there's always the Fellowship if you feel like you need remedial work in OB. We also are the only residents to rotate at East Tennessee Children's Hospital as there is no Peds department here, so we get a great experience in Peds. This is overall a strong program everyone should keep in mind. It's in a really cool location, too. I may be a bit biased, though. I did match here after all.

Hope that helps someone.
 
CObuff said:
Hi all,
I'm a 4th year trying to do the impossible - develop a list of Family Medicine programs to consider for applications. I'm looking for solid, rigorous programs that offer strong OB training and procedure training out the wazoo. Big university names are not that important to me - just awesome programs that turn out great family docs. So let's try something - list your top 3 programs so that those of us looking at the imposing list of residencies can try to find some direction. Thanks!


Some programs HIGHLY recommended:

1.) St. Joseph Family Medicine (formerly St. Michael), Milwaukee, WI
2.) Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago, IL
3.) Hinsdale Family Medicine, Hinsdale, IL
4.) MidMichigan Family Medicine, Midland, MI
5.) Halifax Family Medicine, Daytona Beach , FL
6.) Southern Illinois University, Springfield, IL
7.) Any programs in Arizona
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CObuff said:
Hi all,
I'm a 4th year trying to do the impossible - develop a list of Family Medicine programs to consider for applications. I'm looking for solid, rigorous programs that offer strong OB training and procedure training out the wazoo. Big university names are not that important to me - just awesome programs that turn out great family docs. So let's try something - list your top 3 programs so that those of us looking at the imposing list of residencies can try to find some direction. Thanks!


This is kind of a daunting task. Most people I know choose a geographical location or a couple of them, and apply based on where they want to live.

I can give you mine, but since I'm not looking outside of TX, it's a small list:

1. John Peter Smith, Ft. Worth
2. Christus Santa Rosa, San Antonio
3. Memorial Hermann, Houston
4. Conroe Family Medicine, near Houston
 
sophiejane said:
This is kind of a daunting task. Most people I know choose a geographical location or a couple of them, and apply based on where they want to live.

I can give you mine, but since I'm not looking outside of TX, it's a small list:

1. John Peter Smith, Ft. Worth
2. Christus Santa Rosa, San Antonio
3. Memorial Hermann, Houston
4. Conroe Family Medicine, near Houston


Coming out of lurkdom... 🙂 I've recently decided (with ~95% certainty at this point) to go into family, and I want to stay in Texas too (I'm an MS3 at BCM).

SophieJane, can I ask you what you know about the Texas programs when compared to one another? pros/cons? I'm very interested in the Waco program (www.wacofpc.org) ...may I ask why it's not on your list? Is is for geographic reasons, or others?

Thanks!! 🙂
 
Marigold said:
Coming out of lurkdom... 🙂 I've recently decided (with ~95% certainty at this point) to go into family, and I want to stay in Texas too (I'm an MS3 at BCM).

SophieJane, can I ask you what you know about the Texas programs when compared to one another? pros/cons? I'm very interested in the Waco program (www.wacofpc.org) ...may I ask why it's not on your list? Is is for geographic reasons, or others?

Thanks!! 🙂


I'll apply to Waco, too--it's a good program from what I hear. It' not on my short list mostly because I don't want to live in Waco. 🙂 But other than that, I hear good things about it.

So you'll be one of something like 6 or 7 people in your class doing FM, right? 😉 I met a BCM grad last year who's now at JPS and she said there were only a handful in her class. She's a great doc, though. Very well trained.

Right now my list is made up mostly from research I've done on the internet, talking to residents at residency fairs and on rotations.

Best of luck! I'll post my interview experiences, and hopefully others will do the same so we can all learn about the programs.
 
Hehe, I thought maybe it was because it was in Waco. 🙂 Waco would be kinda perfect for me, actually, because I went to college there at BU and I actually miss it (Houston's too big for me!). Also, my husband is at BU getting his PhD in Physics...he'll finish his PhD when I finish med school, and he thinks it would be pretty easy for him to stay on as a Post Doc. So we'd both have jobs (that we like!) in Waco.

Yeah, I don't think there's that many at BCM who wanna do family. I hadn't really considered it myself until recently, because you just don't hear much about it, and it's not pushed at all at Baylor. You kinda have to seek out information about Family on your own. The thing that triggered me toward considering/reasearching family was that I worked with a FM Intern and a FM attending in the EC at Ben Taub. Until talking to them, I just never realized how great of a fit Family would be for me, and since realizing that, I've just gotten more and more excited about it! 🙂 I'm going to start going to some FMIG meetings, so I can meet the (few) others at Baylor. 🙂

There's an FM doc who lives and works in the small town where my parents and brother's family live...he co-coaches the little league team with my brother. My brother is getting his email for me so I can pick his brain a bit. He's JPS trained and LOOOOOOVES family...I'll let you know if he tells me anything you might want to hear!

I won't be interviewing until next year, of course, but I'd love to hear about your experiences as they happen!!!
 
Only two I really know anything about...

1. Northen Colorado (Greeley, CO) They stop counting deliveries at 250, very good procedure training...
2. Via Christi (Wichita, KS) Huge program, lots of procedures, lots and lots of OB...
 
Marigold said:
Hehe, I thought maybe it was because it was in Waco. 🙂 Waco would be kinda perfect for me, actually, because I went to college there at BU and I actually miss it (Houston's too big for me!). Also, my husband is at BU getting his PhD in Physics...he'll finish his PhD when I finish med school, and he thinks it would be pretty easy for him to stay on as a Post Doc. So we'd both have jobs (that we like!) in Waco.

Yeah, I don't think there's that many at BCM who wanna do family. I hadn't really considered it myself until recently, because you just don't hear much about it, and it's not pushed at all at Baylor. You kinda have to seek out information about Family on your own. The thing that triggered me toward considering/reasearching family was that I worked with a FM Intern and a FM attending in the EC at Ben Taub. Until talking to them, I just never realized how great of a fit Family would be for me, and since realizing that, I've just gotten more and more excited about it! 🙂 I'm going to start going to some FMIG meetings, so I can meet the (few) others at Baylor. 🙂

There's an FM doc who lives and works in the small town where my parents and brother's family live...he co-coaches the little league team with my brother. My brother is getting his email for me so I can pick his brain a bit. He's JPS trained and LOOOOOOVES family...I'll let you know if he tells me anything you might want to hear!

I won't be interviewing until next year, of course, but I'd love to hear about your experiences as they happen!!!

WHy not Scott & White in Temple?
 
Tone2002 said:
WHy not Scott & White in Temple?

It's also a consideration for me. I will definitely be researching that program too, since it's the next closest geographically. One little thing that could be a negative is that it's not unopposed, but other than that, from what I have read, seems to be a solid program. I will apply there too.

I actually used to work for Scott and White when I was in college...was an EMT-B and worked for their EMS service. It's a great hospital, and from what I've heard, a great place to learn.