Smileyy

5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2009
Status
In training, for our patients with narrow angles s/p LPI (with appropriate improvement in angle anatomy) and no evidence of glaucomatous damage to nerves, we still tended to get yearly HVF/OCT nerves.

I was curious what the logical reason for this was. I understand the need to get maybe one HVF + OCT nerve to see if there was damage while the patient was narrow, indicating intermittent attacks, but once you have one normal HVF and OCT nerve (after LPI treatment), why the need for repeated yearly tests?

If you treated the narrow angle with your LPI and the angle opens up, shouldn't their risk be essentially the same as everyone else with a normal angle anatomy?

Thanks!

taco bell

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Patient can have mixed mechanism glaucoma, just because the narrow angle is treated with patent LPI and improvment on gonioscopy, does not mean they cannot develop an open angle glaucoma with subsequent progression on OCT and visual field, am i correct?

dantt

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Patient can have mixed mechanism glaucoma, just because the narrow angle is treated with patent LPI and improvment on gonioscopy, does not mean they cannot develop an open angle glaucoma with subsequent progression on OCT and visual field, am i correct?
True but we don't do yearly exams on essentially normal people to look for development of glaucoma.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
My experience is that patients with narrow angles and no other pathology (such as evidence of POAG or ocular hypertension) are sent back to their referring providers without any further follow up.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In training, for our patients with narrow angles s/p LPI (with appropriate improvement in angle anatomy) and no evidence of glaucomatous damage to nerves, we still tended to get yearly HVF/OCT nerves.

I was curious what the logical reason for this was. I understand the need to get maybe one HVF + OCT nerve to see if there was damage while the patient was narrow, indicating intermittent attacks, but once you have one normal HVF and OCT nerve (after LPI treatment), why the need for repeated yearly tests?

If you treated the narrow angle with your LPI and the angle opens up, shouldn't their risk be essentially the same as everyone else with a normal angle anatomy?

Thanks!
First of all... Was this person ever in angle closure or closed at different spots? Did they undergo LPI because they were are risk for angle closure?

When people actually have glaucoma the guidelines are pretty clear cut. Some issues I noticed in glaucoma through attending meetings and observing at a few different places:

1) many people can't even decide what a glaucoma suspect or person at risk is or when to call one.

2) people don't necessarily keep up on literature or remember which types of patients with which risk factors are more likely to undergo progression.

3) people don't know when and when not to use HVF/OCT for these patients

4) a pt who has had LPI with narrow angles and undergone 2-3 HVF that are reliable and full can probably just be watched with yearly exams looking at cup to disc and monitoring visual

taehong81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks!
The simple reason is $$$. I agree with you if a patient only abnormality is anatomatically narrow angle (normal iop normal disks normal hvf/oct neg fan hx, etc) and narrow angle improved by LPI then I would not get yearly hvf/oct. Would follow with annul exam with repeating gonio. Would get glaucoma testing only if there are changes to optic nerve exam or elevated iop.