Narrow Pre-Med Focus? (TOO Narrow?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

essaywhuman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I'm not quite as far along in this process as most posting here (freshman in college), but I know MD is what I want to go for from my work as an EMT. Anyways, I'm a little worried that my focus will be too medicine related and that med-schools will find me to have too narrow of a scope. So far what I'm doing is: three hours a week volunteering as an MA at a local free clinic, volunteering at my local Red Cross as both an EMT and CPR instructor when the need arises (maybe averaging 5-6 hours a month), working 48 hour shifts most weekends for a local ambulance service. I am also a gigging and lesson-giving musician, but it's nothing "official" in the sense that I'm a music major or something like that. I know I need to get in on some shadowing and research, all of which is planned for the future, but should I try to find more non-medical related service and/or activities?!? I've heard that med-schools look for "well rounded applicants with the ability to decompress from medical work with outside activity." I CAN do that, I'm just not sure if it will look like that on paper. Thanks...:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I would add some more non-medicine related extras, if you have time... your music hobbies make you more well rounded, but I'd try to squeeze in some non-medical volunteering as well if there's time. You actually do quite a lot, so it's not like you're really lacking... but well rounded = good.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahaha...I play drums. I'm not sure how much granny would enjoy that. I guess she at least wouldn't have to turn up her hearing aid :D I'll figure out some other way to go though...perhaps set up a fundraiser concert for some type of cause.

hahahaha...I play drums. I'm not sure how much granny would enjoy that. I guess she at least wouldn't have to turn up her hearing aid :D I'll figure out some other way to go though...perhaps set up a fundraiser concert for some type of cause.

let granny do a drum solo.....;)

I agree with all the other posts here. I was an EMT and BLS instructor. No one ever cared that I didn't shadow a physician because I worked in an Emergency Department for 3+ years (I basically shadowed every day I was there). Research does help strengthen your application; however, four years ago I had no research experience and was accepted to multiple schools early in the season, so it is not a deal breaker. Things have changed a little in the past four years, so research and volunteer experience will definitely help. I definitely think you’re on the right track.

The 3 biggest things you can do to help your application are:
1) Demonstrate your motivation for a career in medicine.
2) Demonstrate your compassion for others.
3) Demonstrate that you have interests outside of medicine.

I think your activities to this point demonstrate all three of these point, so focus on being well-rounded (research, volunteer, leadership), keeping GPA good, and doing well on the MCAT. One suggestion would be to take on few activities and be highly committed to each of those, instead of finding many activities and only being superficially involved. Barring any red flags, you’ll be fine. Good luck.

- Senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

I agree with all the other posts here. I was an EMT and BLS instructor. No one ever cared that I didn't shadow a physician because I worked in an Emergency Department for 3+ years (I basically shadowed every day I was there). Research does help strengthen your application; however, four years ago I had no research experience and was accepted to multiple schools early in the season, so it is not a deal breaker. Things have changed a little in the past four years, so research and volunteer experience will definitely help. I definitely think you’re on the right track.

The 3 biggest things you can do to help your application are:
1) Demonstrate your motivation for a career in medicine.
2) Demonstrate your compassion for others.
3) Demonstrate that you have interests outside of medicine.

I think your activities to this point demonstrate all three of these point, so focus on being well-rounded (research, volunteer, leadership), keeping GPA good, and doing well on the MCAT. One suggestion would be to take on few activities and be highly committed to each of those, instead of finding many activities and only being superficially involved. Barring any red flags, you’ll be fine. Good luck.

- Senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

So what I'm taking from all this is that I shouldn't necessarily find any more activities, but perhaps find new ways to be committed to present ones. Thanks for the help everyone!

Take a class in sociology, history, economics, anthropology, political science, etc, with a really good teacher.