narrowing down schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peterpark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian student, Toronto,
3.58, Bio22,chm19,sci21,aa20,pat19,carve30.

I'm trying to finalize my list of schools. I'm in need of advice.
I've trimmed the ones that don't take canadian dat, or have psyche req. (haven't taken).

I am unsure if its worth applying to university/states that I have no knowledge of accept for the school website and the aadsas books like iowa, Kentucky and Louisville, Creighton and Marquette, meharry.

a school is a good 140$. while its pennies to the tuition and the end result of being a dentist, I don’t want to be imprudent.

Anways I’m looking to trim. am I missing any (hah)?

Boston University School of Medicine (BU)
Case Western Reserve University (CWR)
Columbia University (CUL)
Creighton University (CRE)
Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HVD)
Howard University (HOW)
Loma Linda University (LLU)
Marquette University (MQT)
Meharry Medical College (MEH)
New York University (NYU)
Nova Southeastern University (NSU)
State University of New York at Buffalo (BUF)
State University of New York Stony Brook (SUSB)
Temple University (TEMP)
The University of Iowa (IOWA)
The University of Michigan (MICH)
Tufts University (TUF)
University of Connecticut (CONN)
University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)
University of Kentucky (UK)
University of Louisville (UL)
University of Maryland, Baltimore (MYD)
University of Pennsylvania (PENN)
University of Pittsburgh (PITT)
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)
West Virginia University (WVA)

Thanks so much in advance,
-Peter Park

Members don't see this ad.

uh...

I think you've done your homework better than me. Can I just vouch that NOVA is an awesome school with amazing facilities. It's a big pick for me if I get in there during this cycle. I knocked Harvard off my list cause I never figured they would accept me anyway, but good luck.

I know that West Virginia accepts few out of staters so I wouldn't even bother applying there unless you have an outstanding application and really want to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome carving score btw, and thats a huge list of schools you have there and I'm in a similar situation as you (Canadian applying to the states) but I only have 15-20 schools that i'm applying to. I wouldn't bother applying to so many state schools unless you are way above their cutoffs. Go to predents.com if you want to see the out of state acceptance rates for all the schools, it was very useful to me as it helped me narrow down my choices quite a bit. I think my orig. list was 30.

applied today, so bank account damage is done.
prez_al what was your list like?
whats your top choice?

it was my lucky day for the carve. nervous wreck, not sure how that happend, probably got the guy beside me or something.

my aunt lives in outside of Richmond in Virigina - it would be awesome to be close to family, eat a home cooked meal once in a while.

back to work for the respective school application fees.

Thanks for your input so far guys.

My list of schools are in my signature. My top choice is Buffalo since it's within driving distance of home. Wouldn't mind going to the Boston schools (Boston U, Harvard or Tufts) since I have family down there. Penn is another one of my preferences, love the curriculum, just not the tuition and the area. Have a bunch of safety schools in NYU, Marquette, Case... and debating whether to send the supp. fees to Meharry and Howard.

Well, you lucked out big time with respect to the carving... I was so scared and nervous when I saw people bring in latex gloves (!!!!) for that section when I wrote the DAT this Feb.

peterpark said:
Canadian student, Toronto,
3.58, Bio22,chm19,sci21,aa20,pat19,carve30.

I'm trying to finalize my list of schools. I'm in need of advice.
I've trimmed the ones that don't take canadian dat, or have psyche req. (haven't taken).

I am unsure if its worth applying to university/states that I have no knowledge of accept for the school website and the aadsas books like iowa, Kentucky and Louisville, Creighton and Marquette, meharry.

a school is a good 140$. while its pennies to the tuition and the end result of being a dentist, I don’t want to be imprudent.

Anways I’m looking to trim. am I missing any (hah)?

Boston University School of Medicine (BU)
Case Western Reserve University (CWR)
Columbia University (CUL)
Creighton University (CRE)
Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HVD)
Howard University (HOW)
Loma Linda University (LLU)
Marquette University (MQT)
Meharry Medical College (MEH)
New York University (NYU)
Nova Southeastern University (NSU)
State University of New York at Buffalo (BUF)
State University of New York Stony Brook (SUSB)
Temple University (TEMP)
The University of Iowa (IOWA)
The University of Michigan (MICH)
Tufts University (TUF)
University of Connecticut (CONN)
University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)
University of Kentucky (UK)
University of Louisville (UL)
University of Maryland, Baltimore (MYD)
University of Pennsylvania (PENN)
University of Pittsburgh (PITT)
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)
West Virginia University (WVA)

Thanks so much in advance,
-Peter Park

If I were you, I would drop Harvard, West Virginia, UConn, SUNY StonyBrook, Loma Linda(if you're not LDS), Meharry and Howard(if you're not a minority). Other than that, it looks like a pretty good list. Best of luck.