• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

thompsb

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
Is there a national organization for students who are against socialized healthcare?

I know the AMA's policy is no socialized healthcare, but they dont do much about it on campus. Is there an organization focused on education students on the issue?

OncoCaP

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2006
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Is there a national organization for students who are against socialized healthcare?

I know the AMA's policy is no socialized healthcare, but they dont do much about it on campus. Is there an organization focused on education students on the issue?

Your best bet would probably be political organizations. Most student-run groups concerned with healthcare policy that I have come across support the single-payer system or another government-sponsored "universal healthcare" solution such as mandatory insurance for everyone. Several political organizations are opposed to socialized health care. For example, the Libertarian party is strongly opposed to it (and there is an advisor on SDN called 'miami_med' who advocates that position). The Republican part also opposes single-payer ('socialized medicine').

Hope that helps.

thompsb

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
Yeah, i'm trying to figure out an organization that would help in educating students on campus.

About the Ads

OncoCaP

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2006
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yeah, i'm trying to figure out an organization that would help in educating students on campus.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to educate students about? The problems with socialized medicine in other countries?

It seems that you could simply join AMSA or one of the other on-campus organizations and talk to people about what you think, no?

thompsb

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
AMSA is very pro socialized medicine, and they are our only voice on campus concerning the issue. I'm interested in a group to somewhat balance their view point and let students see the other side.

OncoCaP

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2006
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
AMSA is very pro socialized medicine, and they are our only voice on campus concerning the issue. I'm interested in a group to somewhat balance their view point and let students see the other side.

Looks like you and others who agree with you are going to need to start a new organization ... it seems that what you propose does not exist (at least I have never heard of such an organization).

Complications

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
The AMA-MSS has active chapters at most medical schools ... they officially favor a refundable tax-credit as a solution ... as well as mandates.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The AMA-MSS has active chapters at most medical schools ... they officially favor a refundable tax-credit as a solution ... as well as mandates.

The Cato institute is one option. Other than that and regular political groups I wish I could help you.

Also if you havent gotten into med school I would keep this stuff off your resume as the idiots.... er people running med schools are vastly in favor of this stupid idea.

thompsb

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
Already in med school, but I'm interested in starting a group concerning this. Unfortunately I am aware that many administrators would not go along with my idea. But I feel that many students are very misinformed on the issue since the only perspective they ever hear about on campus is from AMSA.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Agreed but the *****s are running many residency programs as well but this is slightly less of an issue at this point. Congrats on being enlightened. I wish I could tell you about a group.. but I dont know of any.

Complications

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Already in med school, but I'm interested in starting a group concerning this. Unfortunately I am aware that many administrators would not go along with my idea. But I feel that many students are very misinformed on the issue since the only perspective they ever hear about on campus is from AMSA.

Have you tried? My school has a certainly has a fair amount of people active in PNHP, etc ... but have been open to panel discussions on the issue. It seems like what you are looking for is balance, not agreement. Why not a panel discussion with people from various groups.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.