Native American Research/Programs?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by stilllooking, Dec 15, 2008.

1. stilllooking

10+ Year Member

Hi,

I'm putting together a list of programs to apply to next year. As an undergraduate, I've done a lot of research working with Native Americans and hope to continue that in grad school. So far, my list (in no particular order) is:

University of Oklahoma (Counseling)
    Oklahoma State University (Counseling)
    BYU (Counseling)
    University of North Dakota (Clinical)
    University of South Dakota (Clinical)
    Utah State University (Combined)
    West Virginia University (Clinical)
    University of Montana (Clinical)
    University of Wyoming (Clinical)
    University of Alaska (Combined)

Does anyone know of any programs/professors that I may be missing? I only have ten programs (one of which is my UG school, so that seems unlikely), and I'm worried that's too narrow.

Thanks.

2. eugeniegal

Psychology Student
    Clinical psych program at University of New Mexico might be a good match. Also, some researchers at the counseling psych at the University of Oregon (in particular, researchers at the Child and Family Center), do work with Native Americans.

3. stilllooking

10+ Year Member

Thanks! UNM has some faculty who are *excellent* matches, so I'll definitely add it to my list! Also, were there any particular faculty at Oregon that you were thinking of? I looked through their faculty profiles but couldn't find anyone who really "fit."

Thanks a ton!

4. rmenoch

Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Dr. Joseph Gone at the University of Michigan's Clinical Program focuses on Native American topics in psychology. Good luck!

5. eugeniegal

Psychology Student
    The project that I was thinking about is done - Shadow Project - is done, though :( Sorry, I thought that it was ongoing.

6. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Do any of the U of Wisconsin programs have anything? I know there is a significant Native American population up there.

7. WannaBeDrMe

2+ Year Member

I don't know why I didn't just reply in that other thread... but one of my former advisors published in this field. I don't remember what because to be truthful, I barely read it. It bored me to tears... let's see what I can find...

Ok, you know what, I can't find her CV online and when I went to the database, I only pulled up articles on general southwest population people. I know, for a fact, she did something with native americans in alaska. Was out in Wyoming after that..

If you want more info, pm me, and I'll shoot her an email and see what I can get for you.