Native American

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grandparents are indigenous Central Americans, should I put down Native American as my ethnicity or Hispanic?

Members don't see this ad.

My grandparents are indigenous Central Americans, should I put down Native American as my ethnicity or Hispanic?
I would put Hispanic. Native american is more problematic because schools want to see volunteer service to that population

Why do they expect volunteer service? Do they expect white people to volunteer for other white people, just because they're white?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because people like to claim Native American ancestry without the slightest connection/commitment to the community, a community that prides itself on taking care of each other at that.

Nevertheless, the "Native American" they are referring to is "American Indian", as someone from the "other americas" you should know that they don't use the term "American" for all the continents equally and those of us that are from there, here in the US.

Last edited:
Because people like to claim Native American ancestry without the slightest connection/commitment to the community, a community that prides itself on taking care of each other at that.

Nevertheless, the Native American they are referring to in American Indian, as someone from the "other americas" you should know that they don't use the term "American" for all the continents equally and those of us that are from there, here in the US.

Huh

Could you possibly rephrase that paragraph?
So you're saying if I have indigenous blood from south or Central America it doesn't count as native then?

Could you possibly rephrase that paragraph?
So you're saying if I have indigenous blood from south or Central America it doesn't count as native then?

Sigh.

Native American refers to American Indians in the USA not Indians from the "Americas" in general. And if you claim "Native American" you will incite the assumption that you are from one of the recognized tribes of Native Americans in the US, in which case they would require proof of a commitment to the Native American community HERE in the US.

You are Latino. Technically not Hispanic because your family is indigenous, but you are Latino. You could talk about your indigenous ancestry in essays and how that has impacted you or what you have done in that community.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I do not understanding your defensive attitude we are trying to answer ur question. IF you put Native American down you would have to show commitment which is troublesome. At the end of the day put what u identify as if a friend asked you what you are and what u can speak passionate about......

Also I have alot of Puerto Rican friends who have Taino ancestry but just put down latino to make their process alot easier. But as I said do what you always identify as and you feel passionate about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I do not understanding your defensive attitude we are trying to answer ur question. IF you put Native American down you would have to show commitment which is troublesome. At the end of the day put what u identify as if a friend asked you what you are and what u can speak passionate about......

Also I have alot of Puerto Rican friends who have Taino ancestry but just put down latino to make their process alot easier. But as I said do what you always identify as and you feel passionate about.
Sorry I don't mean to be defensive haha

But yeahI totally don't identify at all with it so I am just not going to mark it.