Navy Accredidaton tour.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eric275

Prosthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As most of the current HPSP student probably already know, this years graduating class is the last year in which AEGD/GPR's will count towards payback. In the future it will add a year onto your obligation to participate in one of these programs.

My question is for any current Navy dentist or past Navy dentists. There is much speculation, coming from an O-6 at Bethesda during my OIS this past summer, that after this year the Navy and all services for that matter may have trouble filling the AEGD/GPR's becasue students may opt to just take the "accedidation tour" as to not add a year onto their active duty obligation.

We have a couple students that will be graduating in 2008 that plan on doing an accredidation tour because they just want to get in and out as fast as they can. The big question is by doing the accedidation tour and then being sent out into the fleet what types of duty assigments is one likely to get or not get and what benefits, i.e. duty assigments, are there in completing an AEGD/GPR?

I know that the answer to this question is dependant on many factors as duty assigments are based on needs of the Navy, luck ,etc. so I am just looking for what individuals have seen/experienced during their time on active duty.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This is new info to me. I was under the impression that a) you're on a four year scholarship and do not do a GPR/AEGD, you owe 4 years + reserve time--no brainer, b) you elect to do a one year AEGD for example, that year is neutral, in other words you're active duty the year you're in AEGD + the four years for the scholarship= 5 years. Are you suggesting that now you would incur an additional year to pay back the AEGD year (total 6 years)?

Thanks in advance,

QM1

This is new info to me. I was under the impression that a) you're on a four year scholarship and do not do a GPR/AEGD, you owe 4 years + reserve time--no brainer, b) you elect to do a one year AEGD for example, that year is neutral, in other words you're active duty the year you're in AEGD + the four years for the scholarship= 5 years. Are you suggesting that now you would incur an additional year to pay back the AEGD year (total 6 years)?

Thanks in advance,

QM1

No, my bad in explaining. What you have said is correct. What I meant by owing the additional year was the "neutral" year that you spend in your AEGD/GPR for a total of 5 years if your on a four year scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying so soon. Try not to scare me like that again, I'm old.

The Navy had been toying with the idea of an AEGD/GPR not counting as payback for a while. Originally, the Navy put their boot LT's through an accredidation tour before starting AEGD programs at the larger duty stations. It had to be at the bigger duty stations so you had exposure to all the specialties (or at least as many as possible). These were usually San Diego, MCRD San Diego, Norfolk, Great Lakes, Camp Lejune, and some others.
You went through this to get supplemental privileges to do RBB's, crown lengthening, bony impaction extractions, and other extra stuff (the core privileges are pretty basic - operative, crown and bridge, veneers, simple extractions). However, if the need arised, you could still deploy somewhere if needed.
When the AEGD programs started, you became a pseudo-resident and were pretty much untouchable to deploy...it still happened but not often. The navy began to realize it was a lost year for them...you were training but they couldn't really utiilze you to increase deployment readiness. That's when they decided to start making it a neutral year.

The nice thing about an AEGD or GPR is I believe you get better training...it's more regimented and an established program. In the end you get the certificate. I believe that's the biggest plus of all since you get about 250 CE credits toward your FAGD in the Academy of General Dentistry and also, if you decide to apply to civilian specialty programs, some of them really like applicants that completed an AEGD. Anyway, it's something to think about....that AEGD looked really good on my application and I got accepted to an Ortho program!

The Navy had been toying with the idea of an AEGD/GPR not counting as payback for a while. Originally, the Navy put their boot LT's through an accredidation tour before starting AEGD programs at the larger duty stations. It had to be at the bigger duty stations so you had exposure to all the specialties (or at least as many as possible). These were usually San Diego, MCRD San Diego, Norfolk, Great Lakes, Camp Lejune, and some others.
You went through this to get supplemental privileges to do RBB's, crown lengthening, bony impaction extractions, and other extra stuff (the core privileges are pretty basic - operative, crown and bridge, veneers, simple extractions). However, if the need arised, you could still deploy somewhere if needed.
When the AEGD programs started, you became a pseudo-resident and were pretty much untouchable to deploy...it still happened but not often. The navy began to realize it was a lost year for them...you were training but they couldn't really utiilze you to increase deployment readiness. That's when they decided to start making it a neutral year.

The nice thing about an AEGD or GPR is I believe you get better training...it's more regimented and an established program. In the end you get the certificate. I believe that's the biggest plus of all since you get about 250 CE credits toward your FAGD in the Academy of General Dentistry and also, if you decide to apply to civilian specialty programs, some of them really like applicants that completed an AEGD. Anyway, it's something to think about....that AEGD looked really good on my application and I got accepted to an Ortho program!

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond to my question and providing your insights. I have heard from many past military dentists that the training recieved in the AEGD/GPR's was well worth the time. I already plan on doing an AEGD for the reasons that you have mentioned. Some students here at my school on the other hand want to get in and out as fast as they can, which means they are not planning on taking and AEGD/GPR but also "hope" that they are going to get the duty assignments that they feel are ideal, i.e. state-side with no deployments, or if they do deploy that it won't be with the Marines or anywhere like Iraq/Afganistan or future hotspots. I have been approached by one of them that asked me if I knew anyone that had any knowledge on the matter and so I figured I'd post it here.

Concerning your FAGD, what is the total requirement to recieve the title? Also you mentioned that it really helped with your application to your specialty. Did you have outstanding board scores and class ranking to go along with the AEGD or are those factors looked at less with graduates that have been out working for some time.

Thanks again.

My scores weren't the stellar scores that most applicants have (at least for ortho). But I was pretty well rounded with my experience, AEGD, and research. Like I said before, there a some programs that only look at applicants with an AEGD (again, just talking about Ortho).

You should tell your friends that being in the states doesn't mean they won't deploy. They need to be mentally ready for that phone call from the XO or operations officer about a deployment. With many dental officers leaving, not enough coming in, and increase in operational tempo, you are pretty much assured of getting deployed at least once in your Navy career. It used to be that if you had a shore billet that you wouldn't deploy but that's not true anymore....if something happens to a dental officer on a ship or there is a last minute need to fill a billet then the commands start combing through the shore commands to fill the spot. Your safest bet if you want to NOT deploy is to get to the Navy or USMC boot camps. However, that is a route I would never do....too boring just drilling and filling all day...too much Hg exposure for me:D

If your friends really want to assure themselves of not going to Iraq then go to Japan as a duty assignment. There is plenty to do over there with the China and Korean threats but no battle field deployments and lot's of humanitarian stuff.