Navy bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

at4444

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the doing a navy hpsp and was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the top bases you're likely to get stationed at? Also, if I owe back 4 years of service are they going to place me at the same place for all 4 years or make me move after 2 years? I'm not sure how likely it is to stay in the same place

I really appreciate any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in the doing a navy hpsp and was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the top bases you're likely to get stationed at? Also, if I owe back 4 years of service are they going to place me at the same place for all 4 years or make me move after 2 years? I'm not sure how likely it is to stay in the same place

I really appreciate any replies!

One of the great things about working in healthcare in the Navy, is the option to either go 'Blue Side' or 'Green Side.' That means you can get stationed with the Navy or Marines, respectively. In essence, you have duty station options of two major military branches.

The traditional route for hpsp members is usually either doing a PGY-1 (AEGD or GPR) or completing a credentialing tour of one year. If you choose to do a residency, that is considered a neutral year and will not count towards your payback. A credentialing tour will count towards payback. Usually, after completing a residency or a credentialing tour year, you will then complete an operational tour of 2-3 years. An operational tour usually consists of ship duty or fleet marine force (FMF) duty.

Blue side billets are usually 2 years and green side, 3 years. Depending on the needs of the navy, you may have the option to extend one year at your current duty station. An extension is never something to count on, however. I would say your best bet at staying put in one location for 4 years is with green side orders at a marine corps base.

The best advice I can give on this matter, however, is to contact the Detailer at Millington, TN. Right now it is CAPT Torske. He would be more than happy to answer all of your questions about the various options you will have. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any other questions. Good luck.