Navy Endodontist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tanner0617

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is considering joing the military after his endodontic residency and there are so many questions we have. I know we can ask a recruiter, but their job is to tell you all the great things but you never hear the negatives.
What is the likelyhood of deployment? I know the needs of the mission come first, but honestly what are the odds? Also, if we choose to go overseas does that affect deployment?
The sign on bonus is very attractive, considering the amount of student loan debt we have, is the bonus on top of any loan repayment programs or do you have to choose one or the other?
What is the typical salary for an endodontist coming in? I know it will be considerably less than what can be made in private practice, but factoring in bonus' etc could it be similar?
What is a typical day for an endodontist on base?
Thank you so much for any help, its greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is considering joing the military after his endodontic residency and there are so many questions we have. I know we can ask a recruiter, but their job is to tell you all the great things but you never hear the negatives.
What is the likelyhood of deployment? I know the needs of the mission come first, but honestly what are the odds? Also, if we choose to go overseas does that affect deployment?
The sign on bonus is very attractive, considering the amount of student loan debt we have, is the bonus on top of any loan repayment programs or do you have to choose one or the other?
What is the typical salary for an endodontist coming in? I know it will be considerably less than what can be made in private practice, but factoring in bonus' etc could it be similar?
What is a typical day for an endodontist on base?
Thank you so much for any help, its greatly appreciated!

the only endo guys that i have heard of deploying volunteered themselves. you will probably live overseas at least once, but that does not mean you will be expected to deploy from that location. in all likelihood, you are looking at a regular 7-4 kind of job, just with a uniform and an occasional move.

salary can be calculated here: http://militarytimes.com/money/pay_charts/
especially note the dental special pays and the endo multi-year retention bonuses. your husband will probably come in as a very senior LT or LCDR depending on his board status.

not a bad deal at all...