Navy HPSP-- School orders no longer recommended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsurg2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's been a thread to address this yet as far as I can find on SDN, but this was contained in an email sent to Navy HPSP students:

"School Orders: School orders are for students who must complete an AT but have no time to leave school to spend with the Navy. These should be taken if there are no other options. In the past, many students took school orders to study for part 1 of boards. This is no longer a recommendation. Your school will give you all the time you need to study. You do not need to make any request from the Navy to accomplish this. You should take every opportunity to connect/reconnect with the Navy. If you have 3 to 4 weeks between second and third year, instead of school orders, you may want to connect with the “real” Navy by going to a Navy research unit, diving school, flight school or field medical school. If your school allows you to complete core rotations in third year at other hospitals (or if you have to find places to do core rotations) consider doing one at a Navy Facility. Not only will you get a great educational experience, the Navy covers travel and lodging costs. If no other option exists, request school orders. Choose the 45-day period you want to take (it can be at any time), then request “school orders” via the Navy Reserve Order Writing System (NROWS). "

I can forward you the email in its entirety if you would like, just pm me. My concern about this is that I was planning on taking school orders concurrent with my classes now b/c my school only gives 4 weeks to study for the usmle, and I can't logistically fit "dive school/flight school" into that time.

I am wondering if this is coming out of the Navy's proposed "phasing out" of GMOs--so that possibly Dive/flight/fmss school will be weighted more for residency selection because that will be the only service credible if an hpsp student is applying to a Navy residency after doing a DMO/flight tour? Essentially, are they just replacing the GMO's that they propose to "phase out" with battalion surg/flight surg/ dive???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's been a thread to address this yet as far as I can find on SDN, but this was contained in an email sent to Navy HPSP students:

"School Orders: School orders are for students who must complete an AT but have no time to leave school to spend with the Navy. These should be taken if there are no other options. In the past, many students took school orders to study for part 1 of boards. This is no longer a recommendation. Your school will give you all the time you need to study. You do not need to make any request from the Navy to accomplish this. You should take every opportunity to connect/reconnect with the Navy. If you have 3 to 4 weeks between second and third year, instead of school orders, you may want to connect with the “real” Navy by going to a Navy research unit, diving school, flight school or field medical school. If your school allows you to complete core rotations in third year at other hospitals (or if you have to find places to do core rotations) consider doing one at a Navy Facility. Not only will you get a great educational experience, the Navy covers travel and lodging costs. If no other option exists, request school orders. Choose the 45-day period you want to take (it can be at any time), then request “school orders” via the Navy Reserve Order Writing System (NROWS). "

I can forward you the email in its entirety if you would like, just pm me. My concern about this is that I was planning on taking school orders concurrent with my classes now b/c my school only gives 4 weeks to study for the usmle, and I can't logistically fit "dive school/flight school" into that time.

I am wondering if this is coming out of the Navy's proposed "phasing out" of GMOs--so that possibly Dive/flight/fmss school will be weighted more for residency selection because that will be the only service credible if an hpsp student is applying to a Navy residency after doing a DMO/flight tour? Essentially, are they just replacing the GMO's that they propose to "phase out" with battalion surg/flight surg/ dive???

I don't think this is a precursor to anything. I think it is just an offer to do something else. School orders are a reflexive action. If you have time to do something cool, consider doing something cool.

There is nothing in that e-mail that says you can't do school orders, it just wants you to think of other options that are available. I am certain the Navy does not want to jeopardize your performance on boards, but many schools have a few weeks after part 1 before the start of third year. You could go on vacation or do something with the Navy, your choice.

During my first and second year I got similar e-mails. I didn't have any problems getting school orders. I guess the verbage in the message states that school orders weren't recommended but it says nothing about them being refused. Go ahead and put in for them.

just a student myself (for 13 more days, anyway), but a lot of HPSPcrs did not realize that doinq an elective 2nd year was even an option. Having done one during that time, I would highly rccommend this and think that is more the point of this email than to tell u that you can't take school orders. its a fact that some schools do not allow much time for step one or flexibility to definitely fit in another AT.