Navy MEPS ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borborygmi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for the Navy HPSP and had a question about medical disqualifications. The regulations that I have seen state that:

“Current or history of supraventricular tachycardia (427.0), or any arrhythmia originating from the atrium or sinoatrial node, such as atrial flutter, and atrial fibrillation, unless there has been no recurrence during the preceding 2 years while off all medications, is disqualifying.”

In May of 2006 I went to the ER for supraventricular tachycardia. Afterwards I saw a cardiologist and had an echo and stress test done. Everything came back normal and I have not had an episode since. Because it has been over 2 years since the episode is it safe to say that I will not be disqualified or is MEPS going to give me a hard time? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying for the Navy HPSP and had a question about medical disqualifications. The regulations that I have seen state that:

“Current or history of supraventricular tachycardia (427.0), or any arrhythmia originating from the atrium or sinoatrial node, such as atrial flutter, and atrial fibrillation, unless there has been no recurrence during the preceding 2 years while off all medications, is disqualifying.”

In May of 2006 I went to the ER for supraventricular tachycardia. Afterwards I saw a cardiologist and had an echo and stress test done. Everything came back normal and I have not had an episode since. Because it has been over 2 years since the episode is it safe to say that I will not be disqualified or is MEPS going to give me a hard time? Thanks in advance for your replies.

As long as you're not on meds, you should pass. And, yes, MEPS will give you a hard time about everything. It might be a good idea to pre-empt it and get some documentation from the cardiologist that saw you.

Thanks for your help. I plan to get all the documentation for MEPS.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm headed to get my physical at the end of the week, I just got my info packet, and I have a question.

What's with the bolded "NO GUESTS ALLOWED IN THE ROOM WITH YOU" for the hotel stay for MEPS? I'm going to be post-call driving down to San Antonio, and one of my friends was generous enough to offer to drive with me and keep me awake. I hate to ask her to get her own hotel room at the (fairly expensive) hotel, where I already have a room (courtesy of the Navy). What's the purpose of that rule and how strictly is it enforced?

So I'm headed to get my physical at the end of the week, I just got my info packet, and I have a question.

What's with the bolded "NO GUESTS ALLOWED IN THE ROOM WITH YOU" for the hotel stay for MEPS? I'm going to be post-call driving down to San Antonio, and one of my friends was generous enough to offer to drive with me and keep me awake. I hate to ask her to get her own hotel room at the (fairly expensive) hotel, where I already have a room (courtesy of the Navy). What's the purpose of that rule and how strictly is it enforced?

If this is the same hotel they put the enlisted people in, the purpose of the rules is to keep the enlisted recruits from bring the local barflies back to the Navy's nice hotel room,which will then get damaged and robbed.

Not that that stops them from screwing up, though. When I was at MEPS there was a Marine recruit who was about to ship out who was there in nothing but shorts, a white-T, and flip flops. During his one night in New Orleans he had apparently met a local HS girl after he snuck out of the hotel. When her father caught them in the act at her home he was forced to abandon everything he had brought with him, including his ID and his pants. The MEPS people were at a loss with what to do with him, they had just bussed him in from Mississippi and there was no way to send him either to Parris Island or back home without an ID.

I have no idea if the rule would be enforced for you, just felt like sharing.