Navy OIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navyprincess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read most of the posts on this site and I am looking for some information. I was approached by the Navy recruiter (my husband is active duty right now) and I have submitted my application for commissioning. I am a podiatrist (I guess the Navy is lacking about 15 podiatrists at this point). Anyway, my questions are about going to OIS without being previously associated with the Navy:
1. I thought that the Navy paid for meals and uniforms (at least they did for my husband when he went through OCS), but I was informed that you need to bring money for food and uniforms. Do they reimburse you at a later date?
2. Would you recommend driving your own car up to RI or fly and take a taxi?
3. Any of you have a spouse in the Navy as well, I have been told they try to co-locate (not holding my breath there!!).
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have read most of the posts on this site and I am looking for some information. I was approached by the Navy recruiter (my husband is active duty right now) and I have submitted my application for commissioning. I am a podiatrist (I guess the Navy is lacking about 15 podiatrists at this point). Anyway, my questions are about going to OIS without being previously associated with the Navy:
1. I thought that the Navy paid for meals and uniforms (at least they did for my husband when he went through OCS), but I was informed that you need to bring money for food and uniforms. Do they reimburse you at a later date?
2. Would you recommend driving your own car up to RI or fly and take a taxi?
3. Any of you have a spouse in the Navy as well, I have been told they try to co-locate (not holding my breath there!!).
Thank you!!

1. The Navy does if you are enlisted. OCS candidates are technically enlisted. The only reimbursement you get is the $400 uniform allowance. No it will not cover the amount of uniforms you will need to purchase.

2. The Navy will pay to fly you and reimburse for the taxi.

3. They really do try hard to keep couples together.

Thank you!!

I would ask this: How many and exactly where are the locations where the Navy places podiatrists? Where exactly are the bases where your husband can work? If it is just a very small number that could be a problem for co-location. It might impact your husband's career in a negative way if he can only work at a base near where a Navy podiatrist would be stationed.

Last edited: