Navy pays for school with NO Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Navy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a Navy HSCP student and was just discharged from the program for being prescribed and SSRI by my Physician. As you know, school can be stressful by itself, then I had a series of family problems. The worst is that my Dad lived 1000+ miles away and was hospitalized for bacterial meningitis and nearly died. The MD said this would cause anxiety with anyone and prescribed me an SSRI.

The Navy found out about this and discharged me (I had no idea this prescription was out of regs). I had ~5 years of prior service and fought to stay in but was not granted a serious appeal. They gave me about 5 days notice that I was being discharged. I am not a risk to the military, there are so many people in the military that have anxiety and self-medicate with alcohol, poor performance, or violence. I effectively dealt with the problem and have seen Sailors that don't; it is sad to see the military help people with alcohol abuse but treat me like a criminal for an SSRI prescription.

So, most students in Med school have some sort of anxiety. If you possibly suffer from anxiety and are unsure about your commitment you can consider having your MD prescribe you an SSRI for the anxiety that most med students likely experience.

Why am I posting this for the world to see? I desperately want the military to change its policy and if they start actively discharging more people towards the end of school after spending $240k on them then they might change.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your frustration. I myself was in the Navy and I know the rules are absurd as well, on many levels. Partially why I decided to go to medical school via the civilian route. The military, in general, is having a hard time modernizing when it comes to policies but eventually they will. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Second bit.. I wouldn't get to excited. The government always remembers those in debt to it, sooner or later they will ask you for that money back. I'm sure of it. You didn't fulfill your commitment and just like any other program, they'll come knocking for that money eventually.

They realized they overpaid me 3 years after the fact and they had no problem coming for my money. You'll hear from them sooner or later, obviously your situation isn't a simple matter.

EDIT: Not to guilt you for your diagnosis and prescription but if you had 5 years prior service you should have known better. But then again I was on the medical side of things so I've always been pretty familiar with how the Navy operates when it comes to those issues.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm confused. So you are disappointed that they gave you $240k and asking for nothing in return?
If that is indeed the case, I give you mad props for your dedication to your country.
I am sure there are other ways to serve now that you will become a physician soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. So you are disappointed that they gave you $240k and asking for nothing in return?
If that is indeed the case, I give you mad props for your dedication to your country.
I am sure there are other ways to serve now that you will become a physician soon.
Unfortunately, it seems that 1. OP was discharged without completing medical school - not exactly an ideal situation, and 2. will now be required to pay the military back for his partial medical education.

Yes, I know it sounds lame but I wanted/want to be a military PA. I never had a chance to get Warfare qualified previously; that was one of my goals. It would have been awesome to have a full deployment at sea.

Unfortunately, it seems that 1. OP was discharged without completing medical school - not exactly an ideal situation, and 2. will now be required to pay the military back for his partial medical education.
No, no requirement to pay the money back. This would be impossible for the military to do. I am willing and ready to serve, and got discharged despite resisting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.