Navy Pilot to Psychology Profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeloBubba

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I’m currently a pilot in the Navy and am finally (after 10 years) nearing the end of my commitment. I studied aerospace engineering in college and took the only psychology class my school offered, abnormal psychology. I always planned on being a pilot but now that I’m about to get out of the military and am starting a family, the idea of not being around for big life events is a huge turnoff. The only other thing outside of aviation that I’m truly interested in and think I would enjoy doing, is studying the mind while also using that knowledge to help people. But… it’s a big jump and uncertainty is plaguing me.

How did you all know that a career in psychology was what you wanted to do? Any advice on books or online courses that can help decide?

Do you like your job? What does a typical work day/week look like?

Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about transitioning from a non-psychology bachelors into a psychology PhD program? I have my GI Bill but would like to use it as efficiently as possible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you all know that a career in psychology was what you wanted to do? Any advice on books or online courses that can help decide?
Helping people is really, really broad so you'll need to further define what that looks like for you. A plumber helps people all day with tasks and barely interacts with those customers. A therapist spends most of the work day counseling people (think 5 or 6 hour long apt slots a day). A hospital administrator sits in meetings and does other behind the scene stuff and rarely interacts with patients.

Everybody who is a clinical psychologist probably started with an interest in psychology and then determined that the typical job paths (therapist, assessment focused clinician, researcher, professor, hospital administrator) were a good fit. You can try this online career interest profiler if you're not really sure to get some rough ideas of things/categories that might fit for you.
Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about transitioning from a non-psychology bachelors into a psychology PhD program? I have my GI Bill but would like to use it as efficiently as possible.
There's a big difference between being a master's level therapist (2 years of grad school, lower barriers to admissions) and a doctoral level psychologist (gain research experience prior to admissions, 5-7 years typically of school and training and possibly needing to relocate multiple times during that period).

The most reputable PhD clinical psych programs will actually pay you a small stipend and cover your tuition while you attend so you wouldn't need the GI bill. But the barrier to entry is high and you won't be competitive without some significant prep, such as gaining research experience relevant for doctoral study.

There are for profit programs (usually PsyDs) that can cost $200,000+ but you'll still likely need some prep, perhaps even at the absolute worst 'diploma mill' type schools.

Mitch's Uncensored Guide is written by a clinical psych prof and has some really good general info about this field. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Psychology as a profession is fairly broad. Are there particular aspects of psychology that interest you? What sorts of work have you found enjoyable in your military career? If you're not interested in doing clinical work specifically (e.g., conducting assessments, doing therapy), then you can still "help people" in a different subdiscipline of psychology; for instance, given your aviation experience, you could become involved in human factors research to improve user interfaces for pilots.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I’m currently a pilot in the Navy and am finally (after 10 years) nearing the end of my commitment. I studied aerospace engineering in college and took the only psychology class my school offered, abnormal psychology. I always planned on being a pilot but now that I’m about to get out of the military and am starting a family, the idea of not being around for big life events is a huge turnoff. The only other thing outside of aviation that I’m truly interested in and think I would enjoy doing, is studying the mind while also using that knowledge to help people. But… it’s a big jump and uncertainty is plaguing me.

Thanks!
Hi! This is super interesting because there is a student in my cohort who also was a navy pilot! He has been very successful, so if you want to pursue a psychology degree, I would say go for it! :)
I also know of a few people in my school who did not have a psychology-related bachelors degree when applying to our program, so it is definitely possible. I just think that it is important for you to think about why you are passionate about psychology and the career of a psychologist, and be able to reflect it in your essays. And I realize it is not that easy to do! Also, I would consider PsyD programs as well, especially if you are not primarily interested in research.

Besides wanting to help people and being interested in how the mind works, do you know what populations you are especially interested in working with (it is okay if you do not)? For example, would you want to serve the veterans? Are you interested in head injury and PTSD? Those are some populations that you, as a navy pilot, likely have had a unique exposure to and have personal insight on. You can use that experience and discuss it in your essays and interviews. Those are just a few examples, and I realize you might be interested in other areas of psychology or other populations. I just wanted to highlight that for the purpose of getting into a doctoral program, it is helpful to have a personal story that makes you stand out.

Unfortunately, I do not have any recommendations when it comes to books or online courses. However, I personally have had a professor who was in the navy and was a psychologist. I wonder if you could reach out to your local VA and chat with one of their psychologists. Some of them might have had the same educational journey as you are considering embarking on and be more helpful with how to go about it! :)

Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Hi,

I'm going to point you to Columbia University. They had a program where they proactively recruited active military for undergrad (with encouragement for graduate school). They would be a great place to start (besides here) and you will find those who are both in the field of professional psychology and active military.

Best wishes and the VA needs more people like you, @HeloBubba, if you'd consider a career in the VA.