Navy Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an HPSP Class of '07 student getting ready to think about intern year. I have two questions:

If I really want a transitional spot, is it wise to only rank the three transitional programs and not even list a fourth or fifth choice? I do not want to do a prelim medicine or surgery year even though either would work for my future plans.

What clerkships should you do? I doubt that there is a "transitional clerkship." I eventually want to go into EM in a civilian residency after paying my time back as a UMO. If I start 4th year with the EM rotation at my school, would it be reasonable to go to Bethesda (my first choice for TY) for, say, SICU and then to the Undersea Medical Institute for a clerkship later in the year? Or should I rotate at two of the big three?

Thanks,
Trajan

Members don't see this ad.

If I start 4th year with the EM rotation at my school, would it be reasonable to go to Bethesda (my first choice for TY) for, say, SICU and then to the Undersea Medical Institute for a clerkship later in the year? Or should I rotate at two of the big three?

Thanks,
Trajan[/QUOTE]

Not such an easy question. Because you want to be a UMO, you'd be better off training at a Navy institution. If training at a Navy institution is to your advantage, you might want to rank a couple of IM programs towards the bottom (if you can tolerate the idea of being a miniflea for a year). As for what rotations to do next year, the transitional program directors are in a variety of specialties (I can't seem to get to the NSHS website) but for max exposure, you would rotate with that individual. If you aren't looking to be quite that aggressive about it, rotate in something you'll like so you get a good eval. Hope this helps.