NBDE I going case-based

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, those rumors are correct.

We just found out today that our school, along with some other schools (perhaps all of them, or maybe only a select few?) has the opportunity to beta test the new case-based NBDE I exam.

We'll be beta testing it in June, and then taking the real deal (original format) in July.

It appears the the NBDE I will be case-based, similar to the USMLE, in Summer of 2005.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Gavin

I need your help....big time......I have already taken Part I once and am taking it again in July to improve my score.....am planning to take the CBT.....could you please please tell me whether the pattern is going to change by JULY 2004........coz if thats the case I have to prepone my date....or take the written.....and what kinda questions are they putting up in the case based thing......thanks......gpg

ItsGavinC said:
Well, those rumors are correct.

We just found out today that our school, along with some other schools (perhaps all of them, or maybe only a select few?) has the opportunity to beta test the new case-based NBDE I exam.

We'll be beta testing it in June, and then taking the real deal (original format) in July.

It appears the the NBDE I will be case-based, similar to the USMLE, in Summer of 2005.

what's the point of changing the format?

Members don't see this ad :)
gpg said:
Hey Gavin

I need your help....big time......I have already taken Part I once and am taking it again in July to improve my score.....am planning to take the CBT.....could you please please tell me whether the pattern is going to change by JULY 2004........coz if thats the case I have to prepone my date....or take the written.....and what kinda questions are they putting up in the case based thing......thanks......gpg

Summer of 2005 is what we've been told.

Hey Gavin

could you be a little more clear in what do you mean that you will be taking the " original format " in July.
Does that mean that the paper based exam in July 2004 will be like past years(NOT Case Based).
And the case based format will start in 2005, July.Is that correct or the paper based this July would also be case based.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

If NBDE I goes case based, then I wonder if more schools are going to have to start switching their curriculums to "system & organ based" like a lot of the med schools currently are. Like where you spend an entire module learning everything about the lungs, take an exam, and then move onto a new system, like kidney.

Oh well, doesn't matter too much for me, I'm done!

griffin04 said:
If NBDE I goes case based, then I wonder if more schools are going to have to start switching their curriculums to "system & organ based" like a lot of the med schools currently are. Like where you spend an entire module learning everything about the lungs, take an exam, and then move onto a new system, like kidney.

Oh well, doesn't matter too much for me, I'm done!
That's how IUSD is structured. We've done immunology, endocrinology, neurology, respiratory, cardiology, and we're in the middle of GI. Next fall will be hematology, dermatology, urogenital, and a couple others I can't think of immediately. ;)

Also, it makes me wonder whether the new NBDE format will start paying dividends for the schools who incorporate PBL into the curriculum. Here's hoping, since IUSD is on that list. :D

Wow! This is great news! Now I really can't wait to take them...I'm so excited!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

drsj2002 said:
Hey Gavin

could you be a little more clear in what do you mean that you will be taking the " original format " in July.
Does that mean that the paper based exam in July 2004 will be like past years(NOT Case Based).
And the case based format will start in 2005, July.Is that correct or the paper based this July would also be case based.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

For the 3rd, and hopefully the final time: we've been told the case-based format will be implemented in the Summer of 2005. Meaning, any exams prior to that ought to be the original format.