NBDE part 1 experience (june 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rutho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

First of all, a big THANK YOU to vishwaraj, chats89, mbakri, toothfairy482, BombayBDS, hima bindu, iomega and canine149 for motivating and helping me in many ways! :)

I took my NBDE part1 for the second time on June 5th and passed.
I struggled a lot which altered many things in my life because I couldn't clear this exam, and I cant believe I passed it.
I believe I have a good understanding of how one can go about this process now as I know my mistakes and what helped me a great deal for clearing it. Hence, I want to share my experience with everyone.

[Before I begin, I must emphasize that this is my experience and everyone may not need to study so much or may need to study more depending on how much they already know.]

The first time I took the exam in feb 2013, I had studied only dental decks, okeson, DA from online resources and ASDA papers for 3 months and I got a score of 74.

The second time I studied for about 2 months. I revised dental decks '12 and realised that I had forgotten most of the information. I also studied First Aid 3rd edition, but just once. I watched a lot of youtube videos which I highly recommend! I remember that I could answer about 5-6 questions only because I watched these lectures on youtube.
I also studied okeson, which is very helpful too, but couldnt touch ASDA papers for the lack of time.

In my opinion, one must focus on studying from dental decks very well and watch the lectures on youtube. I used the videos to clear medical concepts. In some of the lectures, the professors teach medically important or relevant material which is very helpful in answering difficult questions. First aid is great too, but I was lucky to not find many questions from that because I didnt have time to revise.

I couldn't include many details here, (Im still a little flustered), please ask me questions so I can share my experience. I'll be glad to help!

Members don't see this ad.

I must add, I am very good at DA and DO, so I didnt need to use much material to study. But its very important to know these subjects well. I haven't mentioned many sources for these 2 subjects because I used only Dental Decks and Okeson.

Thank you and Good luck!!!
:)

I must add, I am very good at DA and DO, so I didnt need to use much material to study. But its very important to know these subjects well. I haven't mentioned many sources for these 2 subjects because I used only Dental Decks and Okeson.

Thank you and Good luck!!!
:)
congratss!!!
how were the basic science subjects

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions from the basic science were majority in my second test. Some were easy and others were tricky. 70-80% are covered by decks and FA, but some were quite tough. I got about 5-6 questions from enzyme related genetics. One question was about defective genes present in enzymes which would lead to a disease. Im not sure if i can give details here, but i hope you understand?

The first test had mostly DA and DO questions. I can easily say that about 50% was purely DA/DO and 10% was dental related.

To : rutho

Congratulation with passing NBDE1!!!
My question is: What kind of youtube video did you watch for NBDE1?

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks God I passed my NBDE 1 in June 2013 and I would like to share some of my experience, also. I recommend this forum 100% because it helped a lot.
I studied from first aid (read 3 times), dental deck (read 5 times), kaplan lectures notes (1 time), asda exam (took 3 times in real time). Due to I did my 6 years of university in Spanish, it was very hard to learn the information in English. I arrived to USA in 2012.

Best wishes

Dear Almyla,

I watched biochemistry videos on youtube as it was my weakest subject.
I watched lectures for biochemical pathways, for e.g., citric acid cycle and fatty acid metabolism.
Its very helpful to look up for lectures that are on the topics that you want to polish or even learn from scratch. I suggest, just to look up the topics that you get bored studying or arent good at, because the lecture videos make it much more interesting and easy to learn.
Some great professors, for e.g., Dr. Najeeb have put up some free videos which are tremendously helpful for FTDs. You can look these up as well :)

If you dont know where to start, please take a look at a syllabus for part1 online.

Hope this helps.
Take care!!
And good luck!! :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks God I passed my NBDE 1 in June 2013 and I would like to share some of my experience, also. I recommend this forum 100% because it helped a lot.
I studied from first aid (read 3 times), dental deck (read 5 times), kaplan lectures notes (1 time), asda exam (took 3 times in real time). Due to I did my 6 years of university in Spanish, it was very hard to learn the information in English. I arrived to USA in 2012.

Best wishes

Congrats!!!
Hats off because you had to learn it in a foriegn language :)
its very inspiring!
take care!
Good luck for the future! :)

Learning a new language and passing the exam sounds like a Herculean task,but accomplished by your hardwork and dedication.....good luck to you.....

Questions from the basic science were majority in my second test. Some were easy and others were tricky. 70-80% are covered by decks and FA, but some were quite tough. I got about 5-6 questions from enzyme related genetics. One question was about defective genes present in enzymes which would lead to a disease. Im not sure if i can give details here, but i hope you understand?

The first test had mostly DA and DO questions. I can easily say that about 50% was purely DA/DO and 10% was dental related.
Is it necessary to do wheelers for DA or the dental decks would be sufficient....did you use menumonicsz?