NBDE score,Pass or Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mambinooo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of my friends told me that NBDE scores are going to be pass or fail.I was wondering if anyone of you guys has a useful info concerning that.

Members don't see this ad.

i think if u get 40 questions right out of 100 thats pass. fail is anything lower. but u have to get higher to get in

one of my friends told me that NBDE scores are going to be pass or fail.I was wondering if anyone of you guys has a useful info concerning that.

Yes, starting 2010, ADA will only release PASS or Fail for all NBDE test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, starting 2010, ADA will only release PASS or Fail for all NBDE test.

what would be the criteria for DDS/speciality?

hi i just got my ndbe scores. 80.. gpa 3.85. n toefl 113.. do i stand a chance anywhere? any suggestions wherei shd apply

what does that mean though? if it is pass/fail, how will international dentists be assessed when they apply to USA/Canada for the training programs??

Dear Mambininooo,

The Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations met at the American Dental Association Headquarters on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11-12, 2008, and approved the following:

*Suggest that the appropriate agency or organization develop an alternative testing instrument for use in the admission process for advanced dental education programs.(So NDBE will no longer be used in admission process for International Dentists.instead, a Standardized Exam developed with an appropriate Organization will replace it.So Be careful! From 2010, NDBE will no longer be considered as a selection factor to International Dentists Programs.)

**An eligibility requirement that internationally trained dentists, from non-accredited dental schools, once enrolled in a predoctoral dentalprogram in the U.S. be required to request certification of the dental school dean where the students are enrolled in order to be eligible to take the National Board examinations.(as You See,International Dentists areh eligible to take NDBE once enrolled in a predoctoral dentalprogram in US,upon submitting certification of the US dental school dean.This means that from 2010 NDBE will be used just for getting eligible for practice Dentistry in US, after finishing a US predoctoral program, not as an admission criteria.

***A change in eligibility requirements such that candidates who pass the National Board examinations cannot retake the examination unless requested or required by a licensing jurisdiction, effective in 2010.

****Reporting National Board examination performance as pass/fail effective in 2010, excepting that more detailed information willbe provided to failing candidates.(Again it will be used just for licensing issues)

*****Appointment of an [FONT=Arial,Arial]ad hoc .committee to develop a strategic plan for the Joint Commission to 1) investigate the potential merging of Part I and Part II into one examination and 2) to study the feasibilityof a plan to restructure the National Board Part I and Part II test construction committees.

******A proposal to study the feasibility of increasing the number of cases on Part II and reducing the number of items nested in cases in order to optimize reliability.

please pay attention deeply to the above-mentioned tips.It seems that sometimes there it has been misunderstood and some friends think that as always,NDBE will be used in the future admission process(from 2010), but will be reported as PASS/FAIL.But, as you see, it is not correct.
I am sure the new exam will be very similar to the PRIOR LEARNING ASSESMENT that will soon(from 2010) replace Eligibility Exam in CANADA for foreign trained dentists.It will composed of 2 sections:Thorical And Practical.

Hope that they won't say each candidate will be permitted to take the test only 2 times.(like What ACFD says).In fact if you fail the exam or will not get admission to an advanced standing program in Canada Dental Schools with your scores, You will have to appply to an Eligible DDS/DMD program from the very first!:(It means that you will have to study from the1st year of dentistry program if you will be able to be admitted of course!:(:mad:

Any comment would be welcome.
:luck:Good Luck!:luck:

user_online.gif
progress.gif

what does that mean though? if it is pass/fail, how will international dentists be assessed when they apply to USA/Canada for the training programs??

Dear Jaba,
please carefully read my response to our friend's thread.Hope that it would be clear enough.:)
Good Luck!:luck:

Dear Jaba,
please carefully read my response to our friend's thread.Hope that it would be clear enough.:)
Good Luck!:luck:

thank you VERY much for this. I think I will end up doing a masters degree before choosing to do a BDS. Also, since it would cost me ~200,000 CDN for tution alone (5 yrs BDS) and ~140,000$ for 2yr program in USA, it would cost around 340,000... TUITION ALONE!!!!

I can try my luck with a masters... then reapply as many times as possible ... .still cheaper than those costs !

Thank you golddentist,that was really useful.

thank you gold dentist for the info.so from what i understand is nbde will not be for ftd before they join schools.so what exam wud an ftd take.

I recently took the nbde part 1 as a requirement for the application to the advanced standing programs, I failed the test with a 73, if i wait 90 days to retake the test it would be march. should i take the test again or wait to see if the nbde part 1 is removed as a requirement for the application. if so I would have a negative aspect on my resume because of my previous failure. i need guidence please help.:oops:

Guys,
I already have 82 in Part1 and I am planning to retake it. My question is If in new method it is just pass/fail what value will it bring to retake the exam? Confused ... Please help

i called jcnbde or ada and they told me that there is going to be a score not pass or fail and now im confused so kindly someone else call them and re confirm
Guys,
I already have 82 in Part1 and I am planning to retake it. My question is If in new method it is just pass/fail what value will it bring to retake the exam? Confused ... Please help

i called jcnbde or ada and they told me that there is going to be a score not pass or fail and now im confused so kindly someone else call them and re confirm
It is just confusion created by someone on the forum that they are just giving pass/fail. There will be scores... GUYS PLEASE CONFIRM BEFORE WRITING

@ atik & mikepadira ,

the scoring system is going to be the same as before for now. The Pass/Fail is not going to be implemented until Jan'2012.

The only thing changing from Jan'2010 is the candidate will not be able to take an other attempt once he/she passes the exam. if he/she needs to take the exam they will need to produce a letter from the dean of the school they are studying.

Please go thru the spring newsletter on ADA.
http://ada.org/prof/ed/testing/jcnde_enewsletter_spring_09.pdf

I urge all the candidates applying to go thru the ADA website before coming to any conclusions. The people here try to give the best info possible but you need to make sure you confirm it with concerned authority before going forward and taking it for granted.

Thanks.