NBME 12 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecalccobra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
45 year old man allergic to grass pollen has basophils taken out of peripheral blood and incubated with anti-IgE Antibodies. What substance will be present after 1 minute?

a) Histamine
b) Leukotriene C4
c) Leukotriene D4
d) Major basic proteins
e) Prostaglandin D2

How is the answer A? I understand Omalizumab will bind the Fc portion of IgE, prevent the cross-linking and thus degranulation so why would histamine be present since there would be no degranulation?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

45 year old man allergic to grass pollen has basophils taken out of peripheral blood and incubated with anti-IgE Antibodies. What substance will be present after 1 minute?

a) Histamine
b) Leukotriene C4
c) Leukotriene D4
d) Major basic proteins
e) Prostaglandin D2

How is the answer A? I understand Omalizumab will bind the Fc portion of IgE, prevent the cross-linking and thus degranulation so why would histamine be present since there would be no degranulation?

Thanks.

Omalizumab binds the Fc portion of mainly UNbound IgE, thus preventing the sensitizing/adherance to mast cells/basophils. This question says that the pt has a hx of allergies, and is therefore sensitized (i.e. already has IgE on basophils). Giving an anti-IgE antibody in the mixture would (I assume) cause a crosslinking of the already present IgE on the basophil and thus lead to histamine release. Omalizumab has nothing to do with this question.

That'd be my best guess anyways.