NBME 13 - any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack.jaret

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took NBME 13 and was wondering what the general consensus was. Too easy? Too hard? Good score predictor? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I took it about 2 weeks prior to my exam and scored pretty close to my average. Feels a lot different than the actual test (much more straightforward and straight up recall) but I think they correct and update the scale as people continue to take it (some older threads implied that the same number wrong had changed scores on the same NBME in different years). I think I got like 12 wrong and that was a 260 and I have a feeling that when that first came out (like NBME 18 now where 17 wrong was a 260), 12 wrong was a bit higher than a 260.

TL;DR - questions are very straightforward vs actual but the scale is probably still a good predictor.

If you are just going to use a couple NBME's though, I'd stick with 15 and up.

I took it about 2 weeks prior to my exam and scored pretty close to my average. Feels a lot different than the actual test (much more straightforward and straight up recall) but I think they correct and update the scale as people continue to take it (some older threads implied that the same number wrong had changed scores on the same NBME in different years). I think I got like 12 wrong and that was a 260 and I have a feeling that when that first came out (like NBME 18 now where 17 wrong was a 260), 12 wrong was a bit higher than a 260.

TL;DR - questions are very straightforward vs actual but the scale is probably still a good predictor.

If you are just going to use a couple NBME's though, I'd stick with 15 and up.

Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping for. I thought it was straightforward but the scale was harsh so I assumed it balanced out. Whereas NBME 18 was a lot tougher but the scale was generous so you ended up around the same score for missing way more questions. Thanks a lot!