NBME 13 freakout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dallas

Migratory medstudent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I am 1 week out from taking the real step and I have done NBME 11, 12 and today 13 in the last 3 weeks

11 and 12 went good and they felt difficult but ok

13 blew me away, the detail and esotery of some of that stuff.

Please tell me this is not what the real exam is going to be like.

I feel like all my studying up until this point have been for nothing if the real exam is going to be like NBME13, I have never even heard of gemfibrozil inhibiting cp450 until now. Ive focused only on the PICK EGS mnemonic.

TL;DR I feel screwed despite studying alot

PS Ill be in the shower in a fetus position crying for the next couple of hours

Members don't see this ad.

so I am 1 week out from taking the real step and I have done NBME 11, 12 and today 13 in the last 3 weeks

11 and 12 went good and they felt difficult but ok

13 blew me away, the detail and esotery of some of that stuff.

Please tell me this is not what the real exam is going to be like.

I feel like all my studying up until this point have been for nothing if the real exam is going to be like NBME13, I have never even heard of gemfibrozil inhibiting cp450 until now. Ive focused only on the PICK EGS mnemonic.

TL;DR I feel screwed despite studying alot

PS Ill be in the shower in a fetus position crying for the next couple of hours

I heard 13 is one of the most similar to the exam. I thought 12 was harder. Were you in test taking mode? Like, well rested, took it seriously, etc.?

You'll be fine. Just make sure you learn from your mistakes and if you've learned from your mistakes on 11 and 12- you can't possibly do worse on your next assessment (or real exam if you're not doing another one).

p.s. are you ever going to forget that praziquantel's mechanism is related to calcium paralysation and will you ever re-forget that PCP is saucer-shaped? :D

This is what crushes me.
I knew praziquantel paralyzes parasites via an ion channel blockade. I knew it for my pharmacology exams in school, I felt I had control over this subject.

But for some reason simple stuff like that has slipped my mind and made me 50/50 with the -bendazole choice.

This scares me, it makes me think the real exam is going to be like this for me:
353xnp.jpg

PCP I had never seen on histology, but I went with pt presentation and a gut feeling that it was PCP so I got that one right on a combination of educated guess and gut feeling :D

I can say for a fact that UWorld had mentioned two mechanisms about fibrates:

gemfibrozil --> increases [statin] via P-450 effects

fenofibrate --> causes direct muscle damage